PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about holiday with a friend!

char123
09-07-15, 22:42
Hi,

I'm going on holiday with my friend and her parents and I'm so nervous. I wish I could be more excited but I'm just thinking of what could happen. The main thing is the travelling- it's a 5 hour drive and then an overnight ferry. I'm so scared about the ferry, I've been on them before but only in daylight. For some reason I feel better when I can see outside but if it's just black it makes me freak out. I think it might have something to do with being able to feel the swaying of the waves but not being able to see what is happening outside or maybe because it makes me feel claustrophobic. I have always had a fear of pitch black darkness though. What even happens on an overnight ferry? If anyone knows please tell me, do we have rooms with beds or something? do they have Windows/portholes whatever they're called? If I'm anxious about the 'boat feeling' or the darkness I'm not going to be able to sleep. I think I'm overanalysing again but that is the thing I'm most nervous about!

Also, I have always experienced that swaying motion where you feel like you on a boat when you're on land and I'm worried that this will bring it back. Last time I had it, it made me feel lightheaded and I was afraid I had vertigo or something. Is there a way to prevent this?

I haven't asked my friend about any of this because I don't want her to think that I'm afraid incase she thinks I'm not excited or something. I'd really like to know if anyone has any advice to calm me down about this. I want to stop these negative thoughts about it and just enjoy it! Please reply.
Thankyou

happydylbob
11-07-15, 10:02
Hello
You didn't say where you are going on holiday. I have been on the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam before and we got little cabins, but it was fine there was a bar shops, restaurants and even a cinema onboard so there was plenty of space to go for a walk about. The overnight ferry was very different to the one we went on to France which was onl an hour or so crossing as there was a lot more room, I never felt claustrophobic.

I know what you mean by the swaying thing after you get off I don't know of anything that can be done to prevent it but, I think you just have to go with it as you know there is a reason for feeling that way and it is nothing to be worried about and it will go away.
I hope this helps a little and you and your friend have a fab holiday.