PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine and Buspar

jayknight
09-07-15, 23:31
Hi friends,

Another post about mirtazapine and nausea—I've started a few :)

My favourite doctor suggested that what nauseates me is a persistent motility issue that may equally have to do with celiac disease and anxiety/stress, and that I might try buspar.

I'll try anything, but if I understand correctly, buspar, like mirtazapine, is an SSRI, and a combination of the two can put one at risk for serotonin sickness. I currently take 37.5mg of mirt.

All this is to say: has anyone tried mirtazapine and buspar together?

hanshan
10-07-15, 02:01
I'm no expert here but I don't think buspirone is an SSRI. From what I read, it functions as a serotonin agonist, which is slightly different. It is also a recommended augmentation for SSRIs, so I would give it a try if your doctor suggests it - good luck.

SmilingAlbert
10-07-15, 17:19
Hello again Jay,

As per my recommendation in May, did you ever consider Pregabalin? i found this very effective indeed for anxiety and killed my nausea that derived from it literally overnight

Albert

jayknight
10-07-15, 18:24
Hi Albert, thanks for the reminder! I have been thinking about it; I had given myself a month to try to work things out with cognitive strategies. Mixed results. This latest drug recommendation comes from a doctor at the Mayo who knows a lot about Celiac Disease (my primary issue), so I'm particularly interested in his suggestion.

But I want to try all and anything that might help. Can you remind me if pregabalin must be discontinued gradually like mirtazapine?

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Hanshan you're right, it's certainly not a SSRI proper. I see indeed that it's used to augment some ADs, though I also saw some warnings about mirt and buspirone together specifically to do with serotonin sickness. Which I gather is actually a remote possibility, but needs to be flagged with drug combinations that together target serotonin receptors.

In any case, I shall ask my doctor...

SmilingAlbert
11-07-15, 18:55
Yes Preg shd be come off slowly, like almost all these things

Never tried Buspar - good luck with it