PDA

View Full Version : Lung C fear

Strovbe
12-07-15, 17:18
I have noticed that I've been out of breath a lot easier recently and it usually happens when I run/bike. Like I can walk a few miles no problem but I cant even jog around my neighborhood. I've also got a hoarse voice and chest pain on my right side when I breathe sometimes or bend over. Starting to go back to my lung cancer fears, but these symptoms have been going on and off for nearly a year now except for the chest pains. Surely if it was that it'd have gotten worse by now right? I'm only 20 but am a smoker and working on quitting.

Gary A
12-07-15, 17:34
Highly unlikely to be lung cancer, and if you're a smoker then I'm afraid it's actually quite natural to feel yourself getting out of breath more easily, especially while doing hard physical activities. If you quit you'll probably feel that your symptoms ease up over time.

tmckenzie-orr
12-07-15, 17:41
it wont be lung cancer at 20 years old, but stop smoking its bad for you , picture how u are now 20-30 years older and the symptoms ur getting will be alot worst,

Strovbe
14-07-15, 02:37
I'm trying. I want to get my anxiety under control before I quit. I've been so weak and tired lately, I'm clearing my throat a lot too. And that feeling of something stuck in my throat on the left side is back, I had the same thing in November but it went away.

Fishmanpa
14-07-15, 03:05
With all due respect, to say you fear lung cancer and smoke is kind of like saying you fear drowning and can't swim but are going to jump in the deep end of the pool. Nothing good is going to come of it.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
14-07-15, 04:32
With all due respect, to say you fear lung cancer and smoke is kind of like saying you fear drowning and can't swim but are going to jump in the deep end of the pool. Nothing good is going to come of it.

Positive thoughts

Its like the many asthma sufferers that continue to smoke knowing they are only making their breathing worse and how they may need stronger treatments later in life.

OP - with being a smoker, could you just be out of shape? At the office I worked at last I would frequently see people not much older than you out of breath at the top of the first floor stairs yet my dad was in his sixties working hard all day long in a very manual job and had smoked since he was a young lad. (he gave up years ago)

If it has worsened, are you more out of shape now, smoke more, etc. If you said you weren't a smoker I would still say look at physical fitness anyway but consult your GP just incase asthma could be a possibility. Remember though, asthma is very controllable thesedays and a large number of our populations have it maintain normal healthy lives, work out, run marathons, etc.

Strovbe
14-07-15, 07:16
I definately smoke more, and I haven't worked out much recently. Though I'm underweight, not overweight by anymeans and I can walk a long distance with no problem. It seems to get a bit better so long as I don't focus on it to be honest, but still. I have super bad sinus congestion 24/7 too, could this be a contributing factor? And what of the throat thing?

MyNameIsTerry
14-07-15, 07:21
Mucus plays a factor in breathing. If you had asthma, like me, you would know that it is about inflammation and excess mucus production. So, anyone without asthma could also have more difficulty breathing with extra mucus than normal, which is something you see in common colds.

Couldn't the throat be due to the smoking? Its going to dry your throat out.

Strovbe
14-07-15, 07:25
On one side though? Maybe. It does seem to get better the less I smoke. As for the mucus, that makes sense to be honest. I haven't been tested for asthma but my half-brother has it. My dad and I also have really bad allergies and sinus issues. I don't know if it's mucus per say but it's VERY dry in there, and almost always impossible to breathe out of. I think I sneeze nearly every day at least three times, too. God I hate allergies, humidity only tends to make it worse.

Strovbe
18-07-15, 04:47
What of the chest pain? That's whats been worrying me the most about all this. It's on my right pec area around the same spot every time.

Fishmanpa
18-07-15, 14:58
It does seem to get better the less I smoke.

There's your answer ;)

Positive thoughts