PDA

View Full Version : Generic Sertraline

Phill2
13-07-15, 02:28
Hi Guys
Has anyone noticed any difference between the generic brands?
Thanks
Phill

spawn
13-07-15, 07:34
I've not felt as good when changing brands?
Not sure if it's me or the different brands?
My doctor said highly unlikely caused by changing?
I try to stick to the same one but I've had 4 different ones so far!

Phill2
13-07-15, 07:42
Thanks mate
My chemist shop has changed hands and the one I was on is no longer available.
Checked ingredients and both seem to be the same so it's fingers crossed

MissLady83
23-07-15, 19:41
Thus post is the reason I came on to nmp tonight. I was going to ask the same question.

I've had around 3 or 4 different brands of sertraline from my pharmacy and the one I'm currently on isn't agreeing I'm sure of it. I was sick last night and I've had headaches too. Strange though if it's all same ingredients.

Sunflower2
23-07-15, 20:56
What brands have you had? I started with Accord but now have been given another one but don't want to switch brands as I'm already struggling to feel comfortable with the existing one!

Phill2
24-07-15, 00:44
The Sertra brand seems to be OK for me.
They all contain 50 mg of Sertraline but you'll find the difference in the fillers used.

Poppy.
24-07-15, 15:46
Yes, I was taking Aurobindo brand, changed over today to Accord and bang go the side effects all over again, nausea, upset stomach, palps and generally feeling pretty odd. I am going to ask my GP to change me to branded I cant be coping with this every time I get a new packet :wacko:

spawn
24-07-15, 17:09
Hi poppy, I have exactly the same issue, I've had 5 different brands now!
Gav.

Zim
24-07-15, 21:05
I'm now a bit worried about this, having just grown accustomed to my Sertraline course 3 weeks in. I had terrible nausea, diarrhoea, sensitive teeth and insomnia for the first week and a half and now, most of the symptoms have gone (I have the odd bad day). I'm on the 'Aurobindo' brand and I might ask specifically for that when I pick up the prescription because I don't fancy experiencing those side-effects all over again if I can avoid it.

Pipkin
24-07-15, 21:42
This topic has been mentioned a few times about nearly all meds. I'm pretty sure that most of it is psychosomatic as the active ingredients are always the same. With some meds, there are different release mechanisms (like slow release) but not with Sertraline.

To be honest, I'm not sure but it's not something to be concerned about if you've never noticed anything. If it does worry you, you can ask the pharmacist to make sure you have the same brand each time - they have no problem doing that as long as it's not a more expensive one (which it won't be unless you ask for Zoloft/Lustral).

Pip

PS Hi Gav!

Zim
26-07-15, 21:26
Thanks for the info Pip. I appreciate it. :)

I will probably specify that I have been using Aurobindo but I'll be happy to take another brand if they only have an alternative brand in stock.

Why is Zoloft/Lustral more expensive then? Is it supposed to be any more effective or is that simply down to the popularity of the brand name itself?

spawn
26-07-15, 22:44
PS Hi Gav!

Hi Pip :hugs:

I have def experienced a difference when changing brands, but its nothing to worry about, just maybe some morning shakes and increased anxiety?
Only lasts 2-3days?

PS - how you doing Pip? Pm me! x

little scientist
26-07-15, 22:45
As has been said earlier in the thread, this comes up a lot and for every medication. I have been on citalopram and most recently sertraline, and have been on a variety of generic brands for both medications.

I personally have found no difference between brands.

The one and only time I did have an issue was 12 years ago on fluoxetine - I got given one brand that gave me awful acidic gas coming up from my stomach and through my nose. My anxiety was fine, it was just that effect I couldn't stand. Never known anything like it. The moment that manufacturer was taken out of my medication regime, that side effect went.

Pipkin
26-07-15, 23:15
Zim - they're the original brands developed by Pfizer. It's similar to the difference between buying Nurofen and Tesco's own brand ibuprofen. They have the same ingredients but one's more expensive as a recognised brand.

Gav - will do matey. All well here and I hope things have picked up for you too.

Pip

Sunflower2
27-07-15, 10:52
Argh so apparently Accord sertraline has been discontinued! Nooooo! I checked the ingredients for my new ones and it's all exactly the same other ingredients so that should mean it's the same right? Worried now!

Justanutter
27-07-15, 11:57
Recently looked into difference between generics and proper branded tabs re my acid inhibitors. The original branded drugs have to have been out for 5 years before other companies can manufacture them. Even though the same sort of ingredients are used, they will never be exactly the same as the originals. Some drugs cannot be given as generics such as warfarin and a couple of others I cannot remember...something to do with some are meant to be slow release and the generics are not able to do that. There is definitely a difference and more and more GP practices are prescribing the generics now as they are cheaper. I had awful acid still on the generics and insisted on the branded original again after I got a letter from the surgery to say they were using the generics from now on. At £8.20 a prescription, I am not being fobbed off with cheap drugs. Ask if you want the real thing. It isn't always up to the chemist...swap chemists.

Pipkin
27-07-15, 15:14
Honestly, try not to worry about different brands. I've had probably about 10 different ones and I've never noticed any difference. Once out of patent (usually around 10 years), any other company wanting to manufacture them has to submit their product for approval and it has to meet incredibly high standards and match the original's active ingredients to within a tiny margin.

As the previous poster said, there are some meds which are prescribed by brand due to the potential of any small differences to cause problems - my steroid asthma inhaler is one - but not ADs as far as I'm aware. The extended release mechanisms of some ADs can differ but this isn't relevant to Sertraline.

Imagine that you're in the supermarket buying pain killers - you can choose the branded ones for £5 or the own brand for 50p which are exactly the same. Which do you buy?

Pip

Sunflower2
27-07-15, 18:42
Well I called another couple pharmacies and found the Accord brand. I also (being a project engineer and always chasing suppliers!) called the accord pharmaceutical company to see if it actually was discontinued. It wasn't, there was just a new batch being released soon. I've now got a new prescription as well from my gp for it. Maybe a bit obsessive, but I do have OCD and a phobia of medication!

As for supermarket pain killers, I'll only ever use specific branded ones!

But that's just me, everyone else I know on srris take different brands all the time with no difference.

Zim
29-07-15, 17:30
Hope you're all doing well.

I'll let you know how I get on and if I notice any difference when taking a new generic brand. For reference, I was originally taking 50mg Aurobindo Sertraline and started my new prescription of 50mg Lupin Ltd Setraline today. Only difference so far is that the packaging is a lot more vibrant. :yesyes:

Phill2
30-07-15, 02:01
I didn't notice any difference changing brands