PDA

View Full Version : The power of the mind

Stressed32
13-07-15, 04:54
I watched a video tonight if a doctor saying how he wished he could harness the placebo affect into a bottle bc it was so powerful. He was saying how so many people go downhill after being diagnosed w a major illness bc they convince themselves they are going to die.

Got me to thinking....if my mind can make me have an organism in my sleep without being touched at all, what else is it capable of?

Is it capable of making a symptom that is barely there seem much larger and more serious than it is....I'd say yes. Just wanted to share. I'm trying to harness my thinking and stay positive! I'm tired of wasting my damn life away worrying about being sick!

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-15, 05:10
Yes, and I've read articles on Professor Mark Williams Frantic wbesite (Mindfulness) about Primary & Secondary Pain. It was explained how primary is what our bodies actually translate as physical pain and secondary is our response which can vary but which we have control over if taught.

Its certainly easy enough for us to intensify our anxiety by exposing ourselves to triggers or worrying intentionally.

rsanchez
13-07-15, 09:42
That is similar to what Claire Weekes says in Hope and Help for Your Nerves about First Fear and Second Fear.

MyNameIsTerry
13-07-15, 10:29
Yes, it is. I think she was meaning in regard to paqnic & anxiety whereas the article I read was more general. Mark Williams is Mindfulness so derived from a school of Buddhism.

Its interesting that "floating" is similiar to a concept in Mindfulness too so it makes me wonder whether she took some of her influence from Buddhism.

Leslie735
13-07-15, 12:45
Has anyone ever heard of Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS for short). If not I HIGHLY suggest you look it up. It has changed my life! I still have really bad health anxiety but I use to deal with urinary issues and once I started applying TMS strategies to it, it went away. A book I suggest is Dr. Sarno Mind, Body, Connection. Great book that explains SOOO much how our minds work and how they can cause symptoms to mimic illnesses your afraid of.