PDA

View Full Version : Morning Anxiety

davidthegnome
02-02-07, 14:29
Hi all, I'm kind of new here, so greetings to you all. Glad to be aboard.

I'm having some issues with morning anxiety. It's like I go to sleep feeling less anxiety, then feel more in the morning when I wake up, particularly when I wake up. Perhaps I've come to expect it, I also have a habbit which I'm sure you're all familiar with, I check in with myself every morning to see if I'm anxious. Usually, I am. I use EFT to help me with it and it significantly calms me down, yet I still have worries and anxiety in the morning.

For example, one of the first things I do in the morning is take half a MG of lorazepam. I do that usually three times a day. I often wake up debating whether or not I should take it, but I always do take it. I worry about it because I don't want to rely too much on this addictive drug.

Some times I wake up awful early and struggle to fall back asleep, which seems to increase anxiety particularly when I can't fall back asleep. Does anyone else go through this? Does anyone have any advice on how to improve it?

Good Fortune and God Bless you all,

David

anxious
02-02-07, 14:46
Hi David and welcome.
I definately feel more anxious in the morning, i think its common with anxiety. I have health anxiety and wake up every morning with the urge to 'check'. I lay there wanting to feel snug and comfy but really i am just stressing. If i wake up early i take a beta blocker and go back to bed praying it will kick in by the time i have to get up.
anx xx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

jo61
02-02-07, 14:51
Hi there. welcome to the boards. you'll find lots of people here who have the same problems as you. I'm always anxious first thing and manage to get through it by distraction, getting an 11 year old out to school, no time to dwell. If you've been prescribed medication don't be afraid of it. the withdrawal will be managed by your doctor when you're ready.

Jo

Elle
02-02-07, 14:52
David
I relate to that entirely. I never did like mornings but this winter they've been worse. This is when my mind is at its most active and worries surface. I think that it has a lot to do with a new day. Ideally we should embrace a new day and look forward to it but we don't. We think about the bad things that might happen - and probably never even will.

The end of the day is the best. Sit down and relax in the knowledge that no one is going to bother you until morning. No one knocking on the door, no postman bringing bothersome letters and so on.

And sometimes I wake up early and can't go back to sleep. If this happens I don't even try. If you try to sleep you just won't. But I do find that by emptying my mind and focussing on the area between the eyes above the third eye then I soon drift off.

Elle

loli
02-02-07, 21:22
I always wake up like this too and i always try and breathe thru it lie back and breathe count in 7 and out 11 and relax then have a cup of tea and get on with it. Occasionally i take my blood sugar in case it might be low lol thats why i feel panicky hehehhe and im not diabetic just slightly not right lol. Sometimes even a panic attack wakes me up at night but ive learnt to breathe and im much better so dont give up, distract and breathe it will work i promise.
loli xxxxxxx

davidthegnome
02-02-07, 21:51
Thanks everyone. It's good and comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. Man, I've had an interesting day. Have you ever just been sitting in the sun and all of a sudden felt warm and comforted? Ok, well I wasn't just sitting in the sun.

My mom was driving me to the hospital to get some diagnostic tests done and as I sat in the passenger seat I kept feeling the warmth of the sun on my head and face. I felt so comfortable and calm for a while, like all was at peace. It was really something. I even felt some joy kind of bubbling forth, like I imagined myself running and doing all kinds of things I usually don't even dare hope for. I kept tapping on my third eye as I felt this way (suggestion from a healer, alternative) and had a good drive in.

It probably helped me a lot with my nervous-ness about getting the X-ray taken and radiation and all that stuff. I got a chest X-ray and some pretty elaborate blood tests, lapid or lipid panel or something. Of course, now I've got this anxiety in the back of my head about what the results will be, won't know till around Wednesday or so.

Was weird, did all that feeling ok, then went to see my therapist and had an ok talk, went grocery shopping with mom. Then as mom and I were on our way home I started feeling weird, like dis-oriented and kind of anxious, the sun had gone down and it was getting colder. It's weird, I don't know what brought on that sudden feeling of "strangeness" like things were kind of different. I just felt weird and can't really describe it. Anyone else get feelings like that?

Well, I'm doing ok now. Hope you're all feeling well today. Thanks for all the advice and kind support. You're some great people and I'm glad I signed up for this forum. We'll all make it out of our troubles sooner or later, it's inevitable.

God bless you all

David

Elle
02-02-07, 22:05
David
Mood naturally fluctuates throughout the day. Ever heard of the Chinese clock? Basically different organs in the body come into their own at different times.

http://www.immuneweb.org/articles/chineseclock.html

It's a bit like the longer biorhythm cycles. We can be up one minute and down the next. It's normal, it's cyclical but it can leave us feeling a bit confused. Accept the ups with the downs and go with the flow. It's all part of our life plan.

Glad you're enjoying the forum. I'm fairly new too but I can see that it serves a very useful purpose. It unites people.

You have made some very interesting posts. Take care of yourself.

Elle

cookielucious
02-02-07, 22:14
Yes David I be like that also..wake up all time of night..so I just start thinking to myself how good it felt when I was alsleep...and how good my pillow feels..try to get as comfortable as possilbe..think of a good nite rest and I just fall back asleep...I try to think postive and If I am having a hard time I wake up and breath in a bag...Have you ever tried breathing in a paper bag...it works..anything to relax ya mind...

davidthegnome
02-02-07, 22:34
Thanks Cookielucious. I first tried the paper bag thing yesterday, it really did help calm me down. Was kind of weird trying it for the first time, but any new tool is good if it helps and that does. Congratulations too, and good work on making an effort to be positive. Keep with it.

Thanks Elle, that's one I've never really heard of before. The Chinese body clock? I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the advice and for the compliment. Yes, I am definitely enjoying this forum. I feel a sense of being united with all of you in our struggling and our effort to get better. We're all making an effort or we wouldn't be here. It makes me sad and happy both. Like happy that I'm not alone in this, sad that so many great people suffer with this stuff.

Though I may not know you all, I deeply care for all of you and pray for you all when I say my nightly prayers. God Bless you all and thank you so much for being supportive. I know I'll overcome my troubles eventually.

kellym
02-02-07, 22:38
i wake up with hot sweats and get really panicky at all times in the night/morning so i have started to put lavender on my pillow at night to relax me and i have also been taking kalms, i think they do work as i have slept a lot better since, i feel worse in the morning because as soon as you wake you dread the feelings that you know you will get and because you dread them it makes them worse.

hope you start to feel better soon!

Kelly

clickaway
02-02-07, 22:56
Welcome David,

I get the morning anxiety too. I just let it wear off during the day. Sometimes, I can feel almost normal come midnight:D

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

cookielucious
03-02-07, 00:09
You are very welcolm David. Glad to no the paper bag thing helped. I was like that when my consulor told me to breath in a bag..But now I never leave home with out it..I keep one in the car..my purse and in the house.. And I hope you sleep well tonight...You are doing a good job,keep it up.We learned new things from each other that can be helpful.God bless you friend!!!Take care and hope you have a blessed morning when you wake up..Thanks alot for your suggestions.Bye..

honeybee3939
03-02-07, 09:57
Hi David

Try these links they may also be of interest

Mornings (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5489)
i'm crying!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6998)
MORNING FEELING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7510)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"