PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline (Lustral) + Teeth Grinding!

Tinkerbell200
02-02-07, 15:45
I am on 100mg of sertraline for OCD, anxiety & depression. I started on 50mg and then the doc upped my dose to 100mg. have been on it 3 weeks now. I can handle feeling sick and dodgy tummy but I cant stop grindin my teeth which is so annoying and giving me bad headaches. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I dont want to swap meds yet as these are meant to be really good for OCD. I was previously on Prozac but made my anxiety worse! Please help!

mooks
02-02-07, 16:38
hi
im not sure if its the meds....i do the same but my Doc said its suppressed anxiety, like the meds suppress it but the teeth grinding is the anxiety below...souds possible...mines so bad that ive has 2 back teeth out

Tinkerbell200
02-02-07, 17:16
thanks for your reply, I dont remember doing this before I started taking these meds, but sounds right that it could be the anxiety. Is there anything I can do to stop it or is there anything the doctor gave you to help? I cant cope with the headaches and I will have no back teeh either soon!! :(

SAM21
02-02-07, 17:42
hi,

ive been having problems with night time teeth cclenching for somtime...i dont really grind them jus clench them very hard....i dont take any meds so its the stress makin me do it...

i get head/ear/jaw pain and extremly sore teeth due to clenching..its quite a nightmare...
ive recently got a mouthguard from the dentist hope itll help stop the habbit. many people using the mouthguard on this site have told me it definitly did help with the clenchin and grinding...and they used it for a while until they got out of the habbit.

i think u should make a visit to the dentist...u can get a mouthguard to wear while u sleep to protect ur teeth from damage caused by grinding.
i got mine free from the detnist as i hav a maternity exemption certificate...but if u have to pay the dentist told me itll probly be £45.

hope that helps..

sam

Tinkerbell200
02-02-07, 17:56
thanks Sam I will look into getting one, I think its worse at night as I wake up with a headache and teeth and jaw pain, such a nightmare!!!

thanks again
xx

susan bunny
07-02-07, 10:09
hi

it is a commonish side effect of sertraline. if you did not have it before talk to your doc. i had a few side effects and when i stopped after about 4 - 5 weeks the side effects stopped.

best wishes
x

dentaladvisor2009
01-07-09, 16:49
I am on 100mg of sertraline for OCD, anxiety & depression. I started on 50mg and then the doc upped my dose to 100mg. have been on it 3 weeks now. I can handle feeling sick and dodgy tummy but I cant stop grindin my teeth which is so annoying and giving me bad headaches. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I dont want to swap meds yet as these are meant to be really good for OCD. I was previously on Prozac but made my anxiety worse! Please help!

Hi Tinkerbell420,

Have you thought about using a mouth guard? I had similar problem that you ran into. My dentist saw holes in my mouth and he said I was grinding my teeth. I was grinding my teeth because of stress and anxiety in my life. My dentist wanted to create a custom mouth guard for me, but it was too much money. I did some research online and found affordable/high quality mouth guards from TotalGard on google. I now have a night guard that has eliminated my teeth grinding and my pain is gone. I hope you find the solution to your problem and find peace within yourself!

- CTTR

clinky
14-07-09, 22:29
Hi Tinkerbell,
Yes! In the morning I'd brush my teeth and my gums would bleed terribly. I was on 50mg of Lustral. Am off them now (for 8 weeks and grinding has stopped)
Might just be coincidence? But I don't think so.
Blessings Clinky