PDA

View Full Version : Heart concerns, I just can't shake off

Purdybird
10-09-04, 12:38
I am experiencing frequent strange sensations at the moment. When I'm relaxing, watching television for example I suddenly feel all light-headed and slightly dizzy. This in turn makes me panic because I fear my heart is slowing down too much and is about to stop. I'm not sure in what order these things happen, whether I can feel my heart slowing, then I'm dizzy or the other way around. Can you heart suddenly stop, do you think I have developed a heart rhythm problem, would this not have shown up on the ECG test I had in April.?

It's not normal to develop heart problems so quickly is it. I was fine before I experienced a panic attack in April? I'm only 27 years old it's very unusual to have heart disease at this age ..isn't it??

I think I'm starting to go crazy, worrying about my heart, missing beats, slowing down, high blood pressure, valve disease………..

Somebody tell me I' not going to drop dead suddenly!

Meg
10-09-04, 13:15
Hi Purdybird ,

This in turn makes me panic because I fear my heart is slowing down too much and is about to stop

Hearts do not just stop. They have to have a very good reason like no blood or oxygen supply to them. Neither of which concern you.

It is entirely normal for your heart to slow down when you are stationary and relaxed. It needs its rest too.

The dizziness may well come from the sudden chemical spill that happens inside when you get worried and anxious .

If you had a rhythm problem you'd really know about it by now and it wouldn't be selective about when it presented itself - like just at TV time .

Yes it is very unusual to have symptomatic cardiac issues at 27 but do get out and exercise and strengthen it ,so in the future you can say that too .

Again its the second thought that is causing you all your issues .
1st thought - I think my heart has slowed down again
2nd though - OMG - it has slowed down and I feel dizzy - I might be dropping dead = instant adrenalin rush and anxiety / panic ensues .

Change the 2nd thought to

Its good I'm calm enough so that my heart has slowed a bit to rest itself. I shall enjoy watching this programme.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Purdybird
10-09-04, 13:47
Thanks Meg

You always say all the right things.

I just need to think rationaly, I think I know deep down that it's me creating these sensations!!

Thankyou for bringing me down to earth.

seh1980
10-09-04, 14:04
hi purdybird,

I used to have the same feelings with my heart - I was sure that there was something seriously wrong with it. I have no managed to just ignore it and now realise, that I haven't had any heart pain or weird sensations for about 3 months. I woke up one day and told myself that it was all in my head and that of course I didn't have a heart problem as I'm only 23!! I know it's hard not to worry but just keep telling yourself that there's nothing to worry about!! Take care.

Sarah :D

Purdybird
10-09-04, 14:33
Thanks Sarah

I will try and thank you for your reply.

It's odd though, because I know if I stop worrying about my heart, which I really want to because I'm driving my self insane!! my attention will only focus on something else. It seems I'm not happy unless I have something to obsess and worry about, which then makes me unhappy.

Purdybird

another_adam
11-09-04, 16:41
hey i have had a similar problem. Im 24

last year i started obssesing over my heart, when i had heart palpatations. I used to get my pc microphone and listen to my heart which just scared me even more, anyway doc said all was fine. Had panic attacks, medication etc.

Now nearly a year has passed, i still seem to worry about my heart stopping, i goto the gym and on some machines it takes my heart rate and at times it seems to drop from like 130 to 65 and then back again after 20-60 secs..which worrys me.

I think if im not worrying about that ill look for somthing else to worry about too.

Im sure theres nothing really wrong with you or me, it is just hard to stop worrying.

Adam

Rennie1989
11-09-04, 17:23
Purple bird

it is normal for your heart to slow down, says meg, but i dont think there is anything wrong with you

if you have had problems with your heart before and are till concerned then see your gp, IF it is really worrying you

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

jill
11-09-04, 20:43
Hi Purdybird

I have had this, i am whaching TV or on the phon then suddenly i go light headed dizzy and can feel my heart pounding in my chest not fast but very slow.worrying just seemed to make it last longer. I have only been on this web site for a few weeks now but i have lerned alot from it. when this happens now i ignore it, think happy thoughts.tell myself there is nothing to worry about and it goes away.
I also have had a ECG test

Take care

Jill :D

Rennie1989
11-09-04, 21:42
well done jill. best to ignore it as it can go hay wire. how was the ecg scan

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

jo-jo
11-09-04, 22:11
Hiya Purdybird

Hope you're feeling a little better honey, its so awful to worry about your heart like that (I know 'cause I get it from time to time too and the more you think about it the worse it seems to get). I guess us folk are over sensitive to our bodily functions and its quiet times like when we're relaxed and watching the tv that we notice our heartbeat more than when we're physically or mentally occupied.

Take care, love Jo xxx

jill
12-09-04, 00:18
sorry scootet, purdybird

My ECG scan was fine thats what put my mind at ease knowing that there was nothing wrong with my heart/
peace of mind goes along way.

Take care all

Jill :D

sal
12-09-04, 01:49
Hi Hon

So common how you are feeling but when it strikes us we do take it on as its only us that can be suffering these symptoms.

Anxiety gives us so many problems that we could never imagine and it is so hard to relate it to that but we have to otherwise we would make ourselves worse.

Hard i know but how you feel we all do hon.

Love Sal xxxxx

magnac
12-09-04, 19:58
Hi,

Im 23 and I experience this alot to ive also had panic attacks and ECG's but its difficult to put your mind at rest when these things keep happening I get the light headed ness, pins and needles and chest pain alot and convince myself Im going to drop dead but themore you talk to people that suffer the same you realise it is common and it is very strange what your mind can do to your body.

How I reassure myself is that when im busy and occupied I dont get the feelings it just goes to show its your mind playing tricks, when I start to get the feelings I concentrate on my times tables!!

Take care Nic.x

Take care