PDA

View Full Version : New member

Rluvz
15-07-15, 12:45
Hi, I'm a new member :)...

I've only had a panic attack like once ever in Japan when i was studying a month ago. I was so scared I came back to my country and did a full test and now I'm pretty sure it's anxiety.

Symptoms(Not always the same, it's a list I've experienced)
=======
Random Sores/Aches at joints of legs or hands
Chest Tightness
Slight hand trembling at times
Heart racing/pounding
Light headaches
Neck aches
Dizziness
Blurry long sighted vision/light sensitivity

It usually goes away after awhile, but some can persist.
My case is considered mild as it is not disruptive to my life, but my question is on CBT.

I'm enrolling for it and I'm wondering if anyone has anything to share about it, anything at all regarding success rate, is it working or not, or any useful tips to share on how to lower my occurrence of anxiety. I'm currently doing meditation(I usually do it before i sleep, so i can get a nice rest), and also PMR(Just started).

I'm planning to resume my cardio activities, and quit triggers such as smoking,caffeine drinks. Anything else i should note?

:)
Appreciate all your help.:yesyes:

Oosh
15-07-15, 14:53
Welcome to the site.

Good luck with your cbt.

Use the search facility. There's absolutely been thousands of threads on people's cbt experiences.

I had 24 sessions. Mixed opinions on it. I've seen it help lots of people though. A lot of it can be down to your individual circumstances. I probably needed other things too at the time.

gregcool
15-07-15, 15:38
Welcome to NMP..you will get lots of suport in hear..good luck with the CBT

sial72
15-07-15, 15:53
Hi Rluvz and welcome!
You seem to be following all the right steps to help reduce the anxiety, meditation and exercise are great. And giving up smoking and caffeine good too.
I like a herbal tea called Dr Stuarts Tranquility Tea.
What about your diet? A lot of sugar isn't good for anxiety either.
I can't comment on CBT as I've never done it, but all in all you seem to be on the right track.
Let us know how you get on xx

MyNameIsTerry
16-07-15, 05:47
Welcome to NMP :welcome:

It sounds like you have a good plan there.

Aside from the many CBT threads around, have a look at Davit's threads on the Panic board as they are quite detailed and heavy on Cognitive Restructuring which is one of the early elements of CBT. I would also encourage you to read about Cognitive Distortions (use the Wiki page, its accurate) and things such as core beliefs (see Davit's threads) as these are powerful and need addressing in CBT for long term recovery.

If you fancy something like MBCT (the blended version of Mindfulness with CBT) or MBSR (the US original from the seventies) or just Mindfulness in general, have a look at my link where I've started a thread of resources, most of which are free. There is a full MBSR 8 week course on there for free.

Rluvz
16-07-15, 11:36
Thanks friends! These are wonderful resources for me to help myself with. I shall begin!!!