PDA

View Full Version : no change since private theropy

gregcool
16-07-15, 10:25
Well its been a week or so now,and still no xhange from my private theropy..starting to think it was a wast of time and money..

pulisa
16-07-15, 11:02
In all honesty, Greg, if it were that easy to get better the woman would be booked up until eternity.

Sadly your parents have apparently lost out financially but they were the ones urging you to see this lady so I'm sure they were prepared to take the risk?

Don't give up hope of ever feeling better. There's no quick fix, just small things coming together to make a change in outlook.

ricardo
16-07-15, 11:03
Oh dear Greg

I think it would be fair to say that the majority of us on here thought this was too good to be true....and at a considerable cost.

Sorry, that sounded a bit harsh. Us vunerables are always getting caught financially. You have just got to start again and put this down to a bad experience,don't give up.

Mart0310
16-07-15, 11:13
Im so sorry to hear things havent improved as you hoped Greg, that doesnt mean to say that you have a life of anxiety ahead, it can change, it will change.

Sadly we live in world of quick fixes, there are none for anxiety. Our Anxiety, or rather the thought processes are built over a lengthy period of time, it seems very unlikely that this can be broken down and 'repaired' witin a matter of hours.

Having been throuigh counselling and recovered, I can tell you it is possible, its a learning process, its learning not to think in a particular style any more, and learning that its ok, Not worrying isnt letting the gaurd down so to speak, its safe. It took me a good while to reach that point, realistically Its the difference between learning to drive over a period of months or a one morning crash course.

That not to say the process was a complete waste of time, she would have given you some pointers, you would have discussed what makes you anxious, these are all starting blocks to help you continue on your road to recovery.

There is no race Gregg, take your time, keep positive, make small changes day by day, you will get there ;)

gregcool
16-07-15, 12:05
Thanks guys..yep i thought it was to good to be true but my parents kept pushing it,there finational loss unfortunatly...back to square one..i do have my NHS sessions coming up so maybe something there will help....

pulisa
16-07-15, 12:09
You've still got the NHS option and I'm glad she didn't persuade you to opt out of these sessions.

You at least gave it a go and would have been wondering "what if" if you hadn't seen this lady.

gregcool
16-07-15, 12:26
Very true pulsa..i would have been what if etc..ill take the NHS sessions anytime

MyNameIsTerry
17-07-15, 09:29
Sorry to hear you are not feeling better, Greg.

How about "well, maybe she is wrong about timescale and I could still feel a bit better yet"? Leave it on a positive and head off into the NHS therapy and see what that brings.

Not everything that isn't scientically endorsed is bad or doesn't work. Can you imagine the scoffing & laughing from all these people when Jon Kabat-Zinn brought Mindfulness from the East back in the 1970's? Look at it now.

I wonder what people thought of EMDR at first with people moving their eyes back and forth?

What tends to be a problem are the claims of "guru's". They make fancyiful claims that they just can't back up. BUT who knows, maybe things could feel better anyway, its not like they have measured exactly how long their therapies even take to work, its just their observation, an average.

So, stay positive.

gregcool
17-07-15, 14:01
Thanks terry..she has text me asking how i am and said due to my medication it might take time for it to filter through and work..im not sure..anyway im possitive anout my 12 weeks theropy coming up that something good might happen

ricardo
17-07-15, 15:46
Thanks terry..she has text me asking how i am and said due to my medication it might take time for it to filter through and work..im not sure..anyway im possitive anout my 12 weeks theropy coming up that something good might happen

Why didn't she tell you before Greg ?

Anyway remain positive (easier said than done) and look forward to your NHS appointment.

pulisa
17-07-15, 16:41
Just put it down to experience and move on, Greg. At least you gave it a go.

gregcool
17-07-15, 18:02
She just said that the theropy could take weeks or even months to filter through..i think it was a load of BS to be honest its cost my parents a ton of money..ill hold out for my NHS sessions and see what happens

pulisa
17-07-15, 18:06
She would say that. It covers everything.

Your parents really wanted you to try this therapy. You did so they can't say you didn't listen to their advice. Nothing magical is going to happen overnight with any form of therapy or meds though-it's a gradual process as you know.

Maybe you can see a bit more of your daughter now that the schools have broken up?

ricardo
17-07-15, 18:08
Greg

There is absolutely no quick fix for anxiety.You know that, I know that, we all know that,but we often clutch at straws and unfortunately some take advantage of our vunerability through anxiety.

Focus on the NHS therapy. The people I feel sorry for our your parents.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

By the way greg

pulisa and I are not related we just often seem to post one after the other.

telepathy:ohmy:

pulisa
17-07-15, 18:20
Greg

There is absolutely no quick fix for anxiety.You know that, I know that, we all know that,but we often clutch at straws and unfortunately some take advantage of our vunerability through anxiety.

Focus on the NHS therapy. The people I feel sorry for our your parents.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

By the way greg

pulisa and I are not related we just often seem to post one after the other.

telepathy:ohmy:

I think we both despise individuals trying to take advantage of vulnerable people, Ricardo?

gregcool
17-07-15, 19:35
Yep think i was sucked in there.i wouldnt have done it if i was paying..got my daughter this sunday till next friday.got lots planed..cinema swimming ice skating meals out bus trip and more..saved real hard for this event with my girl..looking forward to it

ricardo
17-07-15, 19:46
Bless you Greg, so enjoy every moment with your daughter and try and stay off here until she goes and then tell us how it went.

You are looking forward to it, so enjoy it.:)

pulisa
17-07-15, 20:14
This is the best therapy for you, Greg-and it's free! Enjoy your quality time with your daughter!

Crystalhiggs
17-07-15, 20:19
Hi Greg, maybe she's not a charlatan, maybe she truly believes in what she does and has had much success with it, it worked for your nephew after all. Maybe it's true that the medication gets in the way, it makes perfect sense if you think about it.
Some things will work for some and not for others. Maybe in a few weeks you will suddenly find yourself feeling that something has lifted and not quite know why, and put it down to the NHS therapy or your daughters visits or the sun shining. Or a combination of everything.
My point is, you haven't done yourself any harm, the more we try to help ourselves the more success we will eventually have, even if it is a psychological response to us actually going out there into the world and doing something about it!
I hope you have a truly wonderful time with your daughter, you have lots to look forward to and that in itself is a step towards getting better!
Ps how are you doing with your meds?

gregcool
17-07-15, 22:29
Thanks guys.having my daughter is a lovely feeling.i havnt had her for this long before and have so much planed with her..looking very much forward to it...i will stay off hear untill she goes home next fri..i cut my olanzipan in half for a few days now and all seems ok at the moment..sleeping is less,im waking early about 7.30am instead of 10am.but im dealing with it for now

Rennie1989
18-07-15, 09:51
Unfortunately, the whole 'It will work in x time' works when you have continuous therapy. I had six sessions of CBT and, granted, whilst there was an immediate relief I did not appreciate the entirety of it until many months later.

ricardo
18-07-15, 10:01
Unfortunately, the whole 'It will work in x time' works when you have continuous therapy. I had six sessions of CBT and, granted, whilst there was an immediate relief I did not appreciate the entirety of it until many months later.

Hi Rennie

Maybe I am thick but I don't understand what you are saying. Did CBT actually help you or cure you or did you mean after the initial 6 sessions it was you doing the "homework" on your own for many months, that it became beneficial.

Rennie1989
18-07-15, 12:28
I gained awareness of what was causing my anxiety which helped me to start changing my behaviour and thinking, which was through the combination of homework and sessions. The more I did this after the sessions ended the more automatic the behaviour and thinking became, which helped me to control my anxiety more.

I never say I'm cured because everybody needs to have worry and anxiety to survive, instead I have learnt to control my anxiety so I am able to live a normal day-to-day life without having anxiety over irrational things.

gregcool
18-07-15, 12:58
Rennie,thats what she said to me,that it will take time to start working.she said it could take weeks or even months before my mind starts to change.so im waiting to see if anything happens.fingers crossed.no change yet

Rennie1989
18-07-15, 13:12
It's not a case of whether it will sink in or not, you have to actively be doing things to change your behaviour and thinking. It doesn't happen over night and out of nowhere.

pulisa
18-07-15, 13:24
It's not a case of whether it will sink in or not, you have to actively be doing things to change your behaviour and thinking. It doesn't happen over night and out of nowhere.

Absolutely, Rennie. Nobody else can help it to happen other than yourself.

ricardo
18-07-15, 14:20
Rennie,thats what she said to me,that it will take time to start working.she said it could take weeks or even months before my mind starts to change.so im waiting to see if anything happens.fingers crossed.no change yet

Being the cynic that I am, if that is the case I would have asked her if I could pay her in a few months when I will start to see changes for the better.

MyNameIsTerry
19-07-15, 02:48
I never say I'm cured because everybody needs to have worry and anxiety to survive, instead I have learnt to control my anxiety so I am able to live a normal day-to-day life without having anxiety over irrational things.

Restored to normal range hence no longer a disorder. I think some people would call that cured or recovered. So, on a test like GAD-7 you would be seen in normal range with everyone else not considered to have a disorder.

How many people say they recovered to then relapse and mention not continuing those healthy behaviours they developed in order to recover?

Fishmanpa
19-07-15, 05:49
My take on this and therapy in general is it's an on-going effort. It's not so much a "cure" as it's healing and getting to the "new normal".

I equate it to weight loss. If you've gained 30 pounds in a year and want to lose it, you have to make lifestyle changes in the form of exercise and nutrition to take the weight off. It's not going to happen in few days or weeks. To lose it in a healthy way takes time. And the last places to lose are typically the first places you gain. There's no such thing as spot reduction either. Many folks here have been dealing with their anxiety for years untreated. You can't expect it to go away in a week or two. So, if this therapy is to be effective, it appears you have to put the techniques into regular practice.

In my personal experience with therapy, you have to adopt lifestyle changes and mental lifestyle changes. Like you would exercise by walking, running or weight training, you exercise your mind with techniques geared to changing your mindset. It's something that's an ongoing effort. You have to work at it and it's not going to happen overnight. Sure, you may have an "a-ha" moment now and again but in reality, it will be something that you almost don't see happening. Again, like diet and exercise... You may not see things changing and then one da you try on a pair of pants and they fit better! It's the same thing mentally. A situation happens and you react in a much more rational way and realize it after the fact like... "Wow! I used to freak out about that and this time I didn't". And like that place that gains weight first, the root of your issues will be the hardest to lose but it will happen.

Put in the work, have patience and soon enough one step forward two steps back evens out and eventually becomes two steps forward, one step back and eventually you're always in the positive.

Positive thoughts

Richard1960
19-07-15, 09:36
I gained awareness of what was causing my anxiety which helped me to start changing my behaviour and thinking, which was through the combination of homework and sessions. The more I did this after the sessions ended the more automatic the behaviour and thinking became, which helped me to control my anxiety more.

I agree with this you really have to to go away from the sessions and work on yourself the homework is as important as the sessions,i still refer back to my course online even now at times.

Even though i did my course officially about 2 years ago i say have have recovered but not cured as thats an ongoing process.

Aslo for me what made it worse was anxiety depression led me to drink which i also have had counselling for,and have now been asked to train to become a mentor with a charity.

Message to Greg keep persevering you will get there mate i did but CBT or therapy takes time and effort .:)

You are lucky to have understanding parents, my parents do not understand anything other then physical ailments so i have given up talking to them about anything as they seem to lack the empathy to understand anything to do with mental health and always have.

But at my age whilst it would be nice to be honest with them i have other support networks.

Richard.

gregcool
19-07-15, 10:02
Thanks guys for all your imformation on this..yes i understand i have to work on it and believe in myself..unfortunatly im not very good at this..i do try various methords and beliefs but find it hard to focus within myself..i think if i had a full time job that i enjoy would realy help me in recovery..keeping busy etc..im always looking for work but all the jobs out there for me are just crap and bad wages...im trying to be positive about things and get strength from within..i start my NHS home theropy in a week and a half ,i think its counciling,two ladys are coming out to my home prob to asses me first.im keen to see what hapens with this

ricardo
19-07-15, 10:11
I can relate to your opening sentence Greg and I am sure so can others.

I think on a first assessment it is usual for two people to visit you as you are at home, it's to protect themselves in case you might be violent, not that you are, but I think it's part of the NHS criteria. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

Richard1960
19-07-15, 13:19
Thanks guys for all your imformation on this..yes i understand i have to work on it and believe in myself..unfortunatly im not very good at this..i do try various methords and beliefs but find it hard to focus within myself..i think if i had a full time job that i enjoy would realy help me in recovery..keeping busy etc..im always looking for work but all the jobs out there for me are just crap and bad wages...im trying to be positive about things and get strength from within..i start my NHS home theropy in a week and a half ,i think its counciling,two ladys are coming out to my home prob to asses me first.im keen to see what hapens with this

Hi Greg.

With the home therapy you are going to have they should hopefully be able to work on your self confidence/belief in yourself counselling is excellent it helps you to look at yourself,your counsellors should let you have the space to talk about how you feel and help you work on that aspect.

On another point job wise do you think it would help you even though as you say the jobs have crap pay to take one it may help you rediscover some self confidence,and you can move on from that, of course you may not feel ready for that now.

There are lots of little thngs you can do one small step at a time my journey has been going on for around 3 years and is still a work in progress,but i have rediscovered myself and in a way discovered what i like about life without worrying what others think of me too much i am me if that makes sense,for good or bad.

Rennie1989
19-07-15, 13:22
The NHS has a lone-working policy where a member of staff should not work on their own and must have at least one other person with them, that includes being in an NHS building or service user's/patient's home. As a band 2 working in a hospital I have to abide by this as well as a band 5 or doctor somebody visiting someone's home.

MyNameIsTerry - this is what I had to learn. Just because you have a few weeks or months of normal anxiety one should not assume that the new behaviours are set in stone. Almost two years since my CBT sessions I still have to remind myself of what I was taught. The recent news of my nan's diagnosis of cancer shook me up to the point where I felt my anxiety disorder return, but I accepted this little wobble (she is my rock, after all, of course I was going to react negatively) and put into practice what I was taught, it took me a good week or two to get the anxiety back into it's pit again.

Gregcool - I don't mean to be a pessimist but good jobs with good pay are hard to come by these days. In saying that, just having a job where you are earning your own money, having an excuse to get up in the morning and integrating with the community and colleagues is enough to regain a health mind. Having a low paying job is better than having no job.

Richard1960
19-07-15, 13:27
I can relate to your opening sentence Greg and I am sure so can others.

I think on a first assessment it is usual for two people to visit you as you are at home, it's to protect themselves in case you might be violent, not that you are, but I think it's part of the NHS criteria. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

Not sure on that one i always went to a place for my appointments and still do even on my first one, it was one to one but as i say they were not home visits.

Even when i was under the CPNs.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

The NHS has a lone-working policy where a member of staff should not work on their own and must have at least one other person with them, that includes being in an NHS building or service user's/patient's home. As a band 2 working in a hospital I have to abide by this as well as a band 5 or doctor somebody visiting someone's home.

MyNameIsTerry - this is what I had to learn. Just because you have a few weeks or months of normal anxiety one should not assume that the new behaviours are set in stone. Almost two years since my CBT sessions I still have to remind myself of what I was taught. The recent news of my nan's diagnosis of cancer shook me up to the point where I felt my anxiety disorder return, but I accepted this little wobble (she is my rock, after all, of course I was going to react negatively) and put into practice what I was taught, it took me a good week or two to get the anxiety back into it's pit again.

Gregcool - I don't mean to be a pessimist but good jobs with good pay are hard to come by these days. In saying that, just having a job where you are earning your own money, having an excuse to get up in the morning and integrating with the community and colleagues is enough to regain a health mind. Having a low paying job is better than having no job.

Yes you are quite right the NHS does have a lone worker policy my own trust ( i work for the NHS) however does let district nurses out on their own with a lone worker emergency call device.

ricardo
19-07-15, 13:36
Richard

When I had my initial assessment by a psychiatrist (NHS) he came on his own.

When he had assessed me he arranged for a therapist to come to my home for a further assessment and she was a therapist on CBT only, and on the first visit she was accompanied by a colleague, and she actually explained to me that it was the policy of the NHS to send two people on the initial home visit.

Richard1960
19-07-15, 13:41
Richard

When I had my initial assessment by a psychiatrist (NHS) he came on his own.

When he had assessed me he arranged for a therapist to come to my home for a further assessment and she was a therapist on CBT only, and on the first visit she was accompanied by a colleague, and she actually explained to me that it was the policy of the NHS to send two people on the initial home visit.

They contradicted themselves a bit there then ricardo.:D

Ok for the psychiatrist to be on their own.

But not the CBT therapist ! though i think they were right on an initial home visit then yes because they do not know you though in theory they should have the psychiatrists advice ,once they do the CBT therapist should be okay on their own.

As i said when i did my CBT in my area mind ran the course and i had to go to them which was okay.:)

ricardo
19-07-15, 14:09
Richard

My GP knows the psychiatrist very well so I suppose she told him I wasn't Hannibal Lecter. By the way his name was Dr.Brain, I kid you not:ohmy:

Richard1960
19-07-15, 14:20
Richard

My GP knows the psychiatrist very well so I suppose she told him I wasn't Hannibal Lecter. By the way his name was Dr.Brain, I kid you not:ohmy:

:roflmao::roflmao:

Hope he lived up to his name ricardo.

pulisa
19-07-15, 14:41
That's a No-Brainer

gregcool
20-07-15, 09:16
I agree that no a paid job is better than no job,But ! When i say i want a good job and good pay,im not asking the earth or anything like that,what i meen is,a nice job with enough pay to survive on...i cant take just any payed job on otherwise i cant pay all my bills out.so it has to offer me enough money to survive,but the lower paid jobs dont pay enough to cover my cost ov living,im better off finantionaly unemployed,but dont enjoy not working full time..so the job and pay has to be right...on a different note about the counciling coming up,yes i agree that the NHS sends two people for backup lol ,they dony know me and i could be anyone so fully understand they need to come in two's for there iwn saftey,i dont blame them,be nice if this counciling helps.

Richard1960
20-07-15, 09:32
I agree that no a paid job is better than no job,But ! When i say i want a good job and good pay,im not asking the earth or anything like that,what i meen is,a nice job with enough pay to survive on...i cant take just any payed job on otherwise i cant pay all my bills out.so it has to offer me enough money to survive,but the lower paid jobs dont pay enough to cover my cost ov living,im better off finantionaly unemployed,but dont enjoy not working full time..so the job and pay has to be right...on a different note about the counciling coming up,yes i agree that the NHS sends two people for backup lol ,they dony know me and i could be anyone so fully understand they need to come in two's for there iwn saftey,i dont blame them,be nice if this counciling helps.

You could well find greg and i do not know your circumstances that you mat well get housing benefit etc etc to help if you do take a lower paid job.

Where i work in the NHS we have a person i know in one of our departments a Hospital Porter earning roughly £1050 take home a month and his rent is £800,he has three children and gets help with rent he would be better off without a job but still works for low pay,as thats all he can get at the moment . unfortunately Greg we are creating jobs but mostly low paid.

As has been said the main thing with any job is the socialisation it will bring,thereby maybe helping your recovery.

On another point hope your appointment with the counsellors goes okay and you can start your counselling treatment. :)

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-15, 09:40
two ladys are coming out to my home

I guess sometimes one just isn't enough :winks::D

Richard1960
20-07-15, 09:44

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

ricardo
20-07-15, 10:02

If I was a prude I might find that offensive :unsure:

gregcool
20-07-15, 17:42
Im happy to take a low paid job if i have to,but most jobs out there are warhouse and crap pay..its not the sort of job im looking for really.im hoping when i look on the job search something jumps out at me and i think,that will do me.plus my age lets me down being nearly 50 now,most jobs wants a younger man for a job.so not many options for me

Rennie1989
20-07-15, 18:44
If anything employers prefer older people to younger ones, older people have more experience (employed and life experience). Besides, they cannot discriminate you against your age, they look at you at your ability to do the job they have advertised. Maybe once you've got some counselling out of the way you may feel able to work.

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-15, 22:17
Discrimination is a matter of proof. When you are applying to a new workplace it's incredibly hard to prove as they won't openly admit it. It's just the same as constructive dismissal in some respects.

There is the fact some employers will look for life experience, some see younger people as less reliable (another form of discrimination built on assumption and generalisation), etc the list goes on in favour of both sides really so I think you just have to be reasonable, accept the knocks that will come and just do your best.

Sometimes you take what you can get. I won't get jobs like I had before because my CV no longer looks like what they expect so I will have to take the jobs I would have when I started out.

Richard1960
20-07-15, 22:58
Discrimination is a matter of proof. When you are applying to a new workplace it's incredibly hard to prove as they won't openly admit it. It's just the same as constructive dismissal in some respects.

There is the fact some employers will look for life experience, some see younger people as less reliable (another form of discrimination built on assumption and generalisation), etc the list goes on in favour of both sides really so I think you just have to be reasonable, accept the knocks that will come and just do your best.

Sometimes you take what you can get. I won't get jobs like I had before because was CV no longer looks like what they expect so I will have to take the jobs I would have when I started out.

Thats pretty much how it is now all over warehouse jobs,shop jobs,service sector jobs all low pay .But even at 50 you can start again these days on one of our wards at the Hospital i work in we have a 77 year old yes 77 domestic, granted she works 3 days a week, but we also have a carpenter of around the same age who works in estates full time.

I think a lot has to do with your positivity if you go in looking beat you will be.

Also voluntary work is an option if your benefits are not affected just to get used to work again and socialising.

I have just taken a job with a charity at 55 as well as my full time job as a mentor for people with alcohol; and drug addictions had my criminal and debarring check done,and start the training in October.

The interview was an hour and a half long i was positive and well prepared and got offered the training immediately.:)

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

If anything employers prefer older people to younger ones, older people have more experience (employed and life experience). Besides, they cannot discriminate you against your age, they look at you at your ability to do the job they have advertised. Maybe once you've got some counselling out of the way you may feel able to work.

Hi Rennie1989.

Just had a look at your blog and the one from June 2015 has me down to a tee,i really had to go on a journey of self discovery to find out what was making me depressed and turning to drink so i can fully understand where you are coming from very good blog with lots of good info.

I myself am going to do a course in a few weeks time foundation 66 parts 1 and 2 so i can mentor people with alcohol and drug problems .

To get on the course and be accepted they wanted me to tell them all about my "Journey" one which i am still on.

But they were interested mostly in my journey of self discovery and how i changed my psychological way of thinking to overcome problems in the past IE school days,bullying and the way my dad drank all affected me,and were very surprised as they did say most people would not go there.

But i think for your mental well being you have to face up to things in the past in the end.:)

MyNameIsTerry
20-07-15, 23:08
Many of the people working in supermarkets are in that age range now because employers know they can easily replace them when the time comes. So, you can use them back and it can just be a stepping stone or for the cash.

Like you said earlier though, if finances permit it the additional benefits to your mental health are worth it.

Volunteering is a good thing to do as it shows real commitment as opposed to chasing the cash. It also means different life skills too since you can be working with people with mental challenges and in a management role you can't use t&c's to enforce.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Richard,

I used to know a guy who was an alcoholic since being young, I met him at a anxiety & depression charity a few years back. Really good guy.

He said going to prison was the best thing they could have done for him as he got the help and went on that journey himself. He's been dry for over 10 years, still has anxiety & depression to conquer, goes to the AA groups to help and talks in prisons for them. He said that helped him give back and rediscover the side of him that likes to help people.

Good luck with it all.

Richard1960
20-07-15, 23:20
Many of the people working in supermarkets are in that age range now because employers know they can easily replace them when the time comes. So, you can use them back and it can just be a stepping stone or for the cash.

Like you said earlier though, if finances permit it the additional benefits to your mental health are worth it.

Volunteering is a good thing to do as it shows real commitment as opposed to chasing the cash. It also means different life skills too since you can be working with people with mental challenges and in a management role you can't use t&c's to enforce.

Yes indeed i know our WRVS shop at the Hospital are always looking for volunteers and yes men can also volunteer nowadays, and many do as a stepping stone to full time employment.

You get cash handling experience and the opportunity to get back into some routine also plus they will also give you a reference for any future employer to see what you have done time keeping,turning up and any other life skills you can learn as well.:)

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Richard,

I used to know a guy who was an alcoholic since being young, I met him at a anxiety & depression charity a few years back. Really good guy.

He said going to prison was the best thing they could have done for him as he got the help and went on that journey himself. He's been dry for over 10 years, still has anxiety & depression to conquer, goes to the AA groups to help and talks in prisons for them. He said that helped him give back and rediscover the side of him that likes to help people.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks i was an alcoholic binger and depressive one fed the other (but still a functioning one)until i ended up in hospital twice for a de - tox, your friend done a fantastic job being dry for 10 years is amazing great stuff,the anxiety and depression i managed by going on a journey of self discovery like your friend.

Although i still do suffer depression it is now manageable with Citalopram and my own way of looking at things now.

I did not do AA but one to one counselling which i still do, and it was the counsellor herself who suggested i apply to become a mentor.

I think your friend does amazing work talking in prisons and doing the voluntary work he does. I really wanted to volunteer also because i have experiences i think will help people,and because the charity that counsels me (ADAS) was there for me.

Thanks for your good wishes Terry.:)

ricardo
21-07-15, 06:46
I don't think one can generalise as to employers prefering older people to younger people simply for the reason that it depends on the job.

With regards to greg, I am not privy to his exact position nor what he needs to live on, and that is his own private business.

No Contract hours is something that didn't exist when I was a youngster and despite there being a fixed minimum wage, here in London you find many unskilled youngsters working in retail, usually food outlets and their pay can be as low as 6.50 per hour and the average youngster can earn 300.00 a week which hardly pays for a room in a shared rental with several other people.So basically just working to pay the rent.

Richard1960
21-07-15, 10:48
I don't think one can generalise as to employers prefering older people to younger people simply for the reason that it depends on the job.

With regards to greg, I am not privy to his exact position nor what he needs to live on, and that is his own private business.

No Contract hours is something that didn't exist when I was a youngster and despite there being a fixed minimum wage, here in London you find many unskilled youngsters working in retail, usually food outlets and their pay can be as low as 6.50 per hour and the average youngster can earn 300.00 a week which hardly pays for a room in a shared rental with several other people.So basically just working to pay the rent.

No nor me either ricardo they were known as "casual work" contracts there has been a sea change in employment in the past 20 years or so,London is really an impossible place to live now for the low paid.

But there is a lot an individual can do outside London i would assume if you are a certain age benefits IE Housing benefit would be available to help with housing costs.?

Its bad but its far easier to get a better paid job when you have one in the first place.

On a more general point it is also much better for people to be socialising and working who have mental health problems for a variety of reasons if they can, namely routine and conversing back in the community not feeling alone ect.

I myself was in a bad way financially years ago high rent to pay plus bills and children to pay for,but took a very low paid job and worked up for my own sanity these days its even tougher.:shrug::shrug: