PDA

View Full Version : Fear of fatal insomnia pervading my mind!

Peterthegreatworrier
16-07-15, 10:30
Hi everyone. I just joined and this is my first post, though I have previously viewed the forum multiple times while trying to calm my many hypochondriacal fears.
My obsession this week has been the possibility of developing the - yes, EXTRAORDINARILY RARE disease - Sporadic Fatal Insomnia ( the random variant of Fatal Familial Insomnia, a genetic disorder where the brain's proteins go crazy and destroy one's ability to sleep, eventually leading to CERTAIN DEATH with NO TREATMENT OR CURE). I know that this is virtually a statistical impossibility - only 40 families worldwide have the classical inherited form and the sporadic form has only been documented in 10 cases EVER and usually attacks middle aged people (I am only 18). However, the recent case of some random 13 year old dying of it in South Carolina, has made me lose the security of my existence and approach the prospect of sleep with the fear that tonight I will be unable to :weep:. I find it extremely difficult to block my thoughts relating to this disease, especially actual footage of the ill fated sufferers stuck in their permenant pre sleep limbo, though it's gotten better over the past few days.
I had the exact same fear around 3 years ago, but I don't remember how I managed to move past it. The only consolation I can find at the moment is the extreeme rarity of the disease and the apparent fact that those who get it at a very young age tend to "have something else wrong with them."
Can someone kindly offer me some advice on how to get over this obsession which is extremely affecting my life?

Hypo84
16-07-15, 10:38
:) Why aren't you afraid that you will get hit by a car when you leave a house, or slip in shower and break a neck...I mean, those are much more common situations?

And you will probably get insomnia if you continue worrying so much about fallin asleep, but it will never be fatal...

Peterthegreatworrier
16-07-15, 10:53
:) thanks, Hypo! I know, this is what I try to tell myself, but it gets drowned out by the sheer horror of the condition and its invariably (at least at the present) fatal course :shrug:. Another thing is that I am actually interested in prion diseases (Creutzfeldt-Jacob, FFI), which only heightens the intensity of my visions and obsessions :wacko:.

countrygirl
16-07-15, 12:06
I hate to admit this but when I have my occasional bouts of insomnia then this is what always worms its way into my mind - so embarrasing to admit it! Then I tell myself that I have had this worry every time I have any insomnia and guess what it wasn't true. PLus you would not only get insomnia as the insomnia is a later stage of this disease you get the other symptoms of prion disease first.
When I then sleep I feel such a fool for even having this thought.

Why are you interested in prion diseases ( unless this is your job) ? Health anxiety sufferers working or taking obsessive interest in disease is like an alcoholic living in a brewery, not to be recommended and no offence meant by this statement.

Peterthegreatworrier
16-07-15, 12:48
None taken! :winks:. I understand your bewilderment; however, I usually take a keen interest in Piron diseases as a simple pastime, one which almost never leads to any form of anxiety whatsoever, let alone my obsession of late! I believe it was triggered by the stress of finishing the school holidays and comming back to year 11 (second highest grade in Australian secondary school).
It's just difficult at the moment to take my mind off it.

Feedex
17-07-15, 05:46
I am having the same problem I am 19 and am have had insomnia for almost 5 months now.Initially i had it really bad with a couple nights of zero sleep although i eventually got much better. recently I can only sleep every other day for 10 hours because I don't feel tired.It started getting bad because I took away my sleep med for a week but now that its returned I can not get back on track. I have heard of the the 13 year old that died and have heard he did not even have insomnia as a complaint and lasted 3 years.luckily I have no symptoms of any type of increased sweating or the other FFL symptoms besides extremely bad sleep.yet I can not shake the feeling I have it and feel like I don't have long.

Fishmanpa
17-07-15, 14:19
If anyone in your family hasn't passed from this incredibly rare genetic disorder, you're fine.

Positive thoughts

NotCool
17-07-15, 16:38
Statistically it's almost impossible you'll get even close to having this disease in your lifetime.