PDA

View Full Version : funny feeling at night....heart or anxiety?

LadyBug
03-02-07, 02:43
Hi everyone! In 2003 I was diagnosed with GAD and took Zoloft. I took it for a year and then came off of it. I did great, just kept Xanax handy for the occasional anxiety attack...maybe one every two months. Then my anxiety came back, and so I went back on it for about 9 months, and then came off again. I have been doing great, but lately I have been feeling really really stressed at work. Night before last...i stayed up a full eight hours because everytime i would fall asleep, i would get a sort of surgeing feeling inside and wake up feeling like i was going to jump out of my skin. This continued, so I started checking my heart rate, and it feels like it stops for a second then the surge feeling wakes me up fully. Oh, and i forgot to mention i have always had flutters and funny hear feelings, ever since an attack of tachycardia in 2002. I'm so scared! Does anyone else ever have these feelings. I am going on the third night in a row with this...could it be a form of anxiety affecting my heartrate. Does anyone have these feelings at nigth?????

traciec39
03-02-07, 03:46
yes yes yes its 3.42 am and im still up because as im just drifting off to sleep its as is my heart jumps and i lose my breath....so damn scary.
Its just nerves, ive been to my doc and shes given me some sleeping pills and diazapam to help with it.
However its so scary, perhaps if you can get somes sleeping meds from doc, take them for a few nights and your body seems to relax and forget about doing it to you.

hope this helps xxx

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

trish1955
03-02-07, 12:54
me to had a couple of realy stessfull days and not slept well for a few nights but last night my heart sounded realy weird hard to exsplain new it was raceing and could not slow it down but i guess it must have slowed down eventualy as i droped off some night my body goes so relaxed after being tense for a number of day i find my self jumping up to get it all kiked started again as i have had anxiety and panic for over 30 yrs my body feels scarey when its relaxed as i am not use to it wish i was bye for now trish

LadyBug
04-02-07, 03:44
Tracie:and Trish: thanks for the reply...i took a xanax the last 2 nights, and last night I actually slept without it! I hope I have broken the cycle...but at least I don't feal like I'm the only person in the world with this issue...thanks again for replying! I remember when my anxiety was so bad...that is why this feeling scares me so bad. I'm afraid I'll go back to those days. Anxiety has been a way of life for the last 14 years, but I've only been diagnosed for the last 4 years. best wishes

debbsi
04-02-07, 10:31
Hi
Wow I too had that surge feeling the other night following an anxiety attack, each time i started to drift off this surge would come over my body like a wave and wake my up, it was horrible.

deb xxxx

Wilburis
06-02-07, 23:12
Hi

I get this horrible sensation too.

I used to get it occasionally during the day which made me scared to go out but I get it mainly at night and when Im lying down as well.

Mine feels like my heart has stops, I get a heavy feeling in my chest, like I am sinking and I feel as if I will pass out. Doc said, its just anxiety. But I want to know why this happens, what makes my body do this. I get this most nights, I had 3 tonight laying on the sofa watching TV.

So fed up with this and Im pregnant, not good!

Take care - Liz xx

sal
06-02-07, 23:27
Hi Hun

Everything is so much worse when you cant sleep but think it is anxiety. We are all here to help and support you whenever you need us.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

sandie
07-02-07, 10:05
Hi everyone

This illness called ANXIETY has so many symptoms I've lost count!!!!!

I have the same feeling of chest pains, tightness, missed heartbeats, palpitations etc, and I HAVE tokeep telling myself its anxiety, anxiety anxiety!!! Why are they always so bad at night-time? I just don't know; my panic attacks and adrenaline surges even wake me up from a deep sleep.

Regulars on NMP will recall how dreadful my sleep was at the end of last year - 2 maybe 3 hours sleep a night if I was lucky. Well it's a little better now - 4 to 5 hours sleep, and I'm coping. But I won't give in to thinking that I am physically ill, with a heart or a lung condition because I get these blasted awful symptoms. Its just this illness called anxiety and once I get that licked I'll be firing on all cylinders.

Today is a good'ish day - who knows about tomorrow, but I believe thinking positive helps and would urge you to do the same. You know from previous experience that you can feel great and will feel great again. Don't let your anxiety win!

Take care

Sandie

LadyBug
11-02-07, 16:54
Thank you SO much to everyone who replied!! You just don't know how much better it makes me feel to read that others can relate and I'm not alone! Although, I wish that none of us had to go through this at all! We just have to support one another through the bad and cheer each other on through the good. Sounds cheezy...but that's the cycle that anxiety takes! Best wishes everyone!

cassi23
03-06-08, 22:08
Hey, its been a while since the last post on here,but i just wanted to say how happy i am to have found this post.

I have had these horrible feelings...thankfully only occasionally,but i honestly thought i was the only one and did not know how to explain them, i cant believe so many of us suffer with this horrible sensation!

Once again thanx all for the reassurance of knowing i am not alone with yet another horrible symptom!

Char xxxxxxx

Onlyme
10-02-09, 07:54
Been getting these feeling a lot. Went through a phrase a month or so back were I had them for a fortnight or so every night, they went away, getting them back tonight.

Very scary feeling indeed, feels as if I'm just gonna stop breathing or my heart stop if I don't sit up, once I sit up it seems to ease.

amandaj
10-02-09, 08:19
this is an old post but glad its reappeared, ive got these feeling right now and have done all night , its very scary feel like about to die

Jasmin
10-02-09, 11:49
Hi everyone,this is my first message although have been to this site regularly.I have had anxiety /panic for years and by far the worst symptoms are missed/irregular heartbeats. The best book i ever read was by Clare Weeks and it made me realise the only thing that will make you get over it -IS YOU!Don't ever let it stop you from doing what you want,just face the situation and if you panic just stay with it and let it pass.Small steps can build your confidence.Im at a stage now that i still get these feelings but dont want to look back on my life and regret not doing something because i was scared of anxiety!I was feeling great and last night had 3 or 4 missed heartbeats and that was it i couldnt relax for the rest of the night.But i,m still here and today is another day.(a doctor once told me if you have palps to gently hold your nose and blow,it does help a little).This site is fantastic and it really helps.BIG THANKS XX

daniela
12-04-09, 22:41
Does anybody know what these surges are called? And is there anything you do that make you fall back to sleep without going through it over and over.

Daniela x

Beaver
18-05-10, 20:47
Hi, I started getting this sensation about a month ago.

I had been in bed about 15 minutes and all of a sudden it was like I just forgot to breathe or something strange and then straight after I got this surge we have been talking about that went straight through me head to toe!

It scared the life out of me and ended up turning the lights on and checking my pulse for what seemed like the rest of the night thinking if I closed my eyes I would die or something!

Needless to say I had no sleep that night and managed to convince myself I had all these horrible things wrong with me which meant for anout 2 weeks I had in total what seemed like 3 hours sleep which didn't help matters. Felt so drained but dreaded going to bed and was wide awake by the time I tucked myself in :)

I'm not sure to this day if it's missed heartbeats or extra heartbeats or what as everytime I check my pulse to try and catch them I never can.

It's funny now but back then I was sure I wasn't long for this world. I never did think it could be anxiety.

I haven't felt any pain with it at all and generally I feel in good health so i've not been to the docs. Luckily I only get the odd one and sometimes none at all.

Best advice is not to worry and don't give them a second thought. Oh and if you're a pulse checker pack this in too as it get's you more wound up!

Obviously see a doctor if you are really worried but you don't need me to teach you to suck eggs there!

It would be nice to hear from any of you who get the same to see how you are getting on :)

sjr1969
18-05-10, 21:18
hi, surges is a good way to explain this symptom. i get it at nights too but feel generally crappy even when laying there awake, waiting to go to sleep. hard feeling to explain, my chest feels sort of funny, not painful, pressure or anything like that, just strange. and then i eventually drop off to sleep to be woken by the sensations we are all describing. you calm yourself down, only to drop off to sleep and it to happen again. its a bad one. i recently started getting the sensations during the day too, but not the one where you go to sleep and wake up with a start. the feeling i get before that, the uneasy feeling in my chest, cant explain. just kjnow its bloody horrible
sarah

snowqueen
28-08-10, 03:45
Hi Ladybug,

You might have what I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. I'm on a beta blocker to control the attacks. I am in a deep sleep then suddenly like you I'm fully awake sitting up sometimes gasping for breath ( as though I forget how to breathe) heart racing this is when the attack breaks through my meds. Is this similar to yours? Then after the attack hands are suffering with pins and needles, arms and sometimes the legs.

daybyday
28-08-10, 04:03
Read someone's quote a while back.
"Anxiety is like a box of chocolates. You never know what symptoms you're gonna get next." So true.

Glad you don't feel so alone now, Ladybug.
Great group of people here.
And RLR is a retired neurologist that checks in on us with his compassionate knowledge. Look for his posts. He also has a site Heart Palpitation Forum