PDA

View Full Version : Why does worrying about pain make it feel worse

julieannboo
16-07-15, 20:36
Pretty much hit rock bottom this week.

Because of anxiety and depression, I have got bad back pain. A bit of sciatica but the upper back pain is awful.

Why does anxiety and depression make pain feel much more intense?

countrygirl
16-07-15, 21:16
I have a totally wrecked spine from top to bottom so have pain somewhere and mostly in alot of places every day. Its well known that our mental state affects our perception of pain and that our mental state can cause pain. Pain Management courses are all about the mental aspect of pain and how to deal with pain mentally.

I find that if I know my pain is caused by my spine then I can handle it better but as soon as I start worrying that the pain could be from something else ( usually something fatal!) then I can't handle the pain anywhere near as well.

I have to say having HA and back issues and constant moving challenging pain is not a good combination.

Fishmanpa
17-07-15, 00:08
Simply put... because you're focused on it. I don't doubt you are experiencing pain, but when you're focused on it, it's certainly going to become worse. That's why distraction and the thousands of posts illustrating the fact that symptoms wane when one is not focused on them are true.

Finding ways to distract yourself are key to helping to alleviate the physical symptoms.

Positive thoughts