PDA

View Full Version : Car accident - noone hurt but can't stop crying

NE21 worrier
17-07-15, 09:22
Hi,

It's been a while since I've posted as I've been doing ok recently but I've given myself a hell of a shock in the last half an hour:

I was driving to work in the pouring rain up a steep hill in third gear (approx 40mph) and the car started fishtailing and going over to the wrong side of the road. All I can think now is thank God there was nothing oncoming as it would have been head-on and probably fatal.

Anyway, after approx 10 seconds, I still had no control over the car so I decided to bite the bullet, hit the brakes and (as I expected) the car spun 180deg. It landed in a bush/fence, there was no one else involved, and I am not physically injured.

Just down the road from the point of impact is the entry to a National Trust site (Gibside) so I managed to drive my stricken car slowly down to the entrance where I have, for now, abandoned it.

A NT staff member drove me home - I live about 2.5mi from Gibside - and I've taken the day off work. My mum has tried to calm me down with a cup of tea but I've really upset/shocked myself and can't stop crying :weep:

I'm in the AA but I don't know what cover I have, and I don't know what to do with the car :weep:

Peter

pulisa
17-07-15, 11:44
What a horrible experience for you, Peter. You must now concentrate on the fact that you are physically OK and that no one else was involved/injured. Ring the AA and explain the situation. They will be able to tow your car either home or to a suitable garage for assessment.

Obviously mentally you are very shocked and it's good that you are safely back in your own home. You did the right thing in a very frightening situation. Take some time out and then get onto the AA. The NT site is aware of what happened so they won't think your car has just been abandoned.

I've had 2 car write-offs in the past year. It really shakes you up so go easy on yourself.

NE21 worrier
17-07-15, 12:28
Thanks for your reply pulisa.

I'm still not 100% over the shock but obviously I'm a lot more settled down than I was, and I've been able to take some logical steps so that my local garage - literally five minutes' walk away - has arranged to tow the car and do an assessment.

I've got a very slight strain down my right-hand side and, mentally, I feel as if I've got brain-fade(?) - i.e. it feels as if it's taking a lot for me to understand things.

But I think I'm going to be ok. In fact, I know I am as the scariest part of it is over :)

pulisa
17-07-15, 12:54
You'll probably feel a bit jittery for a while but at least you've got the practical side of things with your car sorted and hopefully you won't be faced with too high a bill.

I'd advise getting back in the car as soon as is practical and taking it for a short drive. Just to prove to yourself that this was a one-off situation under difficult weather conditions.

NE21 worrier
17-07-15, 15:04
Sadly the car is a write-off so I'll have to sort out something else and get back on the road as soon as I can for my confidence levels.

I'm still feeling a bit upset and shaky but I have a friend coming across soon to help cheer me up. Hope it works...

pulisa
17-07-15, 16:39
I'm sorry to hear that. It's a real pain having to go through the search for a replacement car business and such a shame.

I'm glad that you have a friend coming over and I hope you'll feel better about it very soon. Try not to go over the scenario in your mind though-it could have happened to anyone and how you reacted was spot on. You didn't panic, you did the safest thing and you should give yourself credit for this.

Just look forward to happy Steve Mc Claren times-it all starts again very soon!:D