PDA

View Full Version : Visual disturbances

humbug83
18-07-15, 11:18
Hello,
In the last 9 months I have experienced lots of different physical symptoms and sensations that I have been worried about. Most recently, I seem to have been getting a little pin prick of light flashing in my vision (usually white/yellow but sometimes blue or green) It's just there for about a second then it goes then I will get another one a bit later and it goes on throughout the day. It's almost like sometimes there is something on the wall but when I look there is nothing there. I also get floaters but as far as I am aware I have always had them. Sometimes I also get what I think is called visual snow.
I have had two eye tests in the last month with two different companies and both have not found any cause for concern. I'm short sighted but pretty much wear my glasses all the time.
I haven't been having headaches.
I don't know what to do!

hanshan
18-07-15, 11:42
Flashers and floaters are both common symptoms and usually not a sign of anything more serious.

Floaters are bits of detritus sloughed off inside the eye. They come and go, but are usually only obvious when looking at a plain surface (a white page, a wall, the sky, a computer screen). Doctors can't do much here, but there is no danger.

Flashers are more related to blood supply to the optic nerve. Not as scary as it sounds - it's related to migraine. A doctor may be able to help if it's migraine related, but generally don't worry.

Sudden major optical disturbances should always be investigated by a doctor, as they may involve the retina, as should any persistent optical change. However, a moderate degree of optical disturbance is often normal and not dangerous.

humbug83
18-07-15, 16:58
I haven't really been getting headaches though.

Zim
18-07-15, 17:16
Hi there Humbug,

I have also got all of these symptoms. They have all come on in the past month, including the 'floaters'. I have what I think is 'Visual snow'. It is static, like I'm watching TV but it's 24/7. I even see it when I close my eyes. It's really bad in dark rooms and patterns and walls look like they're made up of vibrating pixels.

I think being hyper-aware with anxiety has triggered it.

humbug83
18-07-15, 18:57
It really bothers me.
Do you think the heat could be a cause?

hanshan
19-07-15, 00:35
Hi Humbug,

Heat could be a trigger. Migraine doesn't have to have a headache - it can be purely visual. However, flashes can have many causes, most of them benign. The important thing is not to worry.