PDA

View Full Version : doctors

amberbear
03-02-07, 11:06
went to the doctors on tuesday, first time for 5 years , told her about my panic attacks etc, explained that i did not want to take drugs as i already have a health condition , she just listened to me and offered me councelling which i will take up, i never felt so releived at actually talking to the doctor about this i wish i did it sooner, but my anxiety was at real high that i would not go through the door, i am trying to get my life back together but circumstances make it real hard to try and move on , but i am determined to beat this , i am so glad i have found this site as i dont feel so alone any more , have any one got any advice on how to keep there nerves intact when out in public places, i seem to bounce all over the place , and i feel really embarresed about this , people who know me ubderstand but other people look at you as if you are nuts

ceecee
03-02-07, 12:43
hi amber
i know exactly how you feel!well done for going to the doctors,do you have to wait long for your councelling?i too am really nervous when it comes to public places,bot i don,t really know how to combat this yet!!!!!
take care
rach x

Karen
03-02-07, 14:07
Hi Amberbear

Well done for going to see your doctor and I am glad you have been offered counselling, as so many people have problems being referred.

As to how to cope when out, I think it is important to realise that although you might be feeling anxious and panicky, other people are so busy going about their daily lives and consumed with their own faults that no one is likely to notice.

I have social phobia, which at one time was so bad that I couldn't speak to strangers at all. I thought it was obvious I was panicking and everyone was looking at me, but a therapist told me that from someone outside looking in I looked calm and not at all like I have having a panic attack.

You might like to have a read of the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) and also Live chat with Paul Salkovskis - Paul's replies (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17149) following the chat room Q & A with Prof Paul Salkovskis.

I hope you do not have to wait too long to see the counsellor.

Karen

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Dont they know its the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye

amberbear
04-02-07, 13:57
hi thanks for the advice , i should be starting to see the councelor in a few weeks, there is a waiting list , but i do have a support worker , which i found my self through womans aid , and she has been a great help