PDA

View Full Version : Probably another weight thread

Lola86
18-07-15, 16:08
Hi everyone,

I'm sure there's been a lot posted about mirtazapine and weight already .... I just wanted to add in my tuppence worth ....

I was on mirt from jan to June and put on about a stone and a half, my doc has switched me to fluoxetine and I'm now into week 4 off that, i wanted to come off mirt because of the weight gain, it was really getting to me and not helping me to feel like me again.

Since changing to fluoxetine I've noticed quite dramatic changes in my appetite and how full I get but so far haven't lost any weight. I'd read some stories about people dropping weight pretty much instantly when coming off it and just wondered what other people here's experiences were.

I know I need to try and go to the gym to help with this issue but just struggling with motivation at the moment and going through the start of a new med side effects plus not sure if some of the side effects I've experienced on fluoxetine have been side effects or withdrawal from mirt ... Hard to know !

Thanks for reading x

hanshan
19-07-15, 00:29
Hi Lola,

The weight you put on was about a pound a week - you should probably look to reduce at around the same rate to be realistic. Some people do have a big initial loss, but it's mostly "water weight". Exercise will help, but it's mostly diet. There are many online calculators that can help you with your weight loss goal, exercise level, and so on. Good luck.

Lola86
20-07-15, 14:41
Hi Hanshan, thanks very much for your reply. That makes sense about the 'water weight' I guess I was hoping I was one of those people but I know my appetite has already changed and so my diet has changed already so that will make a difference. Thank you

hanshan
20-07-15, 14:51
Hi Lola,

Stick with it, and the weight will come off. I've managed to lose about half the weight I gained while taking mirtazapine (while still taking it). I'm building up to having a go at the other half as I'm going into what is usually a less stressful part of my work year and I'm not so much tempted by food as therapy.