PDA

View Full Version : mitrazepine, weight loss/gain.

happyone
03-02-07, 15:14
hi
I have read through some previous posts re this med. I have been prescribed Mirtrazepine but have not taken it. I am really really worked up about putting on weight. Through my anx and depression one of the few things keeping me going is my weight loss/food control which now stands at a stone and a half and regular small eating.
It might not seem much but even the thought of putting on a few pounds feels catastrophic for me. I am still overweight and would like to lose another stone.
Has anyone actually LOST weight whilst on this drug? my fear of taking it has helped prompt me to be rather silly and I have now gone a week without anything, I came off the other one without starting this one.
Does anyone think my psychiatrist will see this as a legitimate reason for not even trying them or will it be put down to my anx? I am worried that I will stop worrying about it on this new drug and be relaxed enough to grow fat and happy, but then when I eventually get better I will hate the way I look.
I don't have problems with eating in general except that I overeat when I am anx or depressed (when I wasn't on meds) it makes me feel good to be able to refuse the things I used to indulge in.
I am also worried my therapist/ gp will withdraw their support if I don't toe the line.
Any thoughts much appreciated
happyone
x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

Karen
03-02-07, 15:50
Hi Happyone

I have no experience of taking this medication (also known as Zispin) although when I was in hospital the psychiatrist wanted me to take it for insomnia. Having taken many different antidepressants in the past I have resisted attempts to take any this time round but they are helpful for some people.

When I researched this particular medication I too discovered that one of the side effects can be weight gain for some people. This was a big deal for me since I have anorexia and was on an eating disorders unit at the time. I refused to take it.

I would suggest you speak to your psychiatrist or doctor as soon as possible next week to discuss your concerns. There is the added complication here that you have come straight off one antidepressant, with possible withdrawal from that, and have not started the new medication.

Please get some expert advice as there may be an alternative medication that could be prescribed instead. The psychiatrist or doctor might also be able to reassure you about the fear of weight gain. Like all side effects, not everyone experiences the same ones.

Karen

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Dont they know its the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye

traciec39
03-02-07, 18:55
hi,
I have been on this medication for about 5 months and had to stop it last week, due to a big weight gain (none of my clothes fit me) and leg swelling. I found i felt hungry all the time, with hunger pains etc.
However im sure this dont happen to everyone.

plz contact me if i can help xxxxxx

I CAN, I WILL , I AM

happyone
03-02-07, 22:18
thank you for your replies.
I had also posted similar on another site and nowhere have I found what I wanted.
I am not going to take them.
I know karen that it is silly of me to stop one without another, but that is me hun, self destructive to the last sometimes.:( The thing is, I have gone from monday til now and the discontinuation effects are wearing off. I know realistically I will have to take something soon, but I am enjoying, today, this feeling of being clean[^] My main worry is not having to take more meds (apart from this one) but having to see the psych again. I really dislike her and the other one is a man and immature as it may sound, I can't relate to male docs.
I appreciate your replying karen as I think I know how this post must look to you. I have a control problem. At the moment it is diet orientated but at other times it is different. I have to have something to control or i feel really really screwed up. even more so than now[:I]
Thank you both again
happyone
X

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

Karen
04-02-07, 05:31
Hi Happyone

I hope I didn't make things worse with my comments about weight but being anorexic I did a lot of research when my psychiatrist wanted me to take this medication. I was suspicious she wanted me to have an increased appetite and more weight gain.

Doesn't mean it will happen to you but I am sure there will be alternatives the psychiatrist can offer. Remember that you do not have to take the medication if you are against it. I refused.

I can understand the need to have control - that's one part of what anorexia is about. You are doing what you can for yourself and being as informed as possible will help you put your views across at the appointment.

Karen xx

happyone
04-02-07, 11:05
you certainly didn't make things worse karen. I was worried that I was doing that for you.
I feel strong in my resolve that I am not going to take the med. If they can prescribe another without that side effect then I will consider.
Part of the problem is that I am usually quite passive with health professionals and I am worked up about saying I am not going to take them as I know that they are only trying to help. I am really afraid that they will say they will withdraw their support if i don't toe the line.
I am quite controlling but as I say, it changes. Because I feel my life is out of control at the mo, this is the area I have chosen to control. Sometimes it is about money, or the children or my hubby[:I] but kids and hubby rebel a bit[:I]
Happyone
x

Quirky
04-02-07, 12:39
Hi mate,

I don't know much about meds so can't add anything here but good luck with sorting it all out.

Lisa x

Karen
04-02-07, 13:46
Hi Happyone

Don't worry you didn't make anything worse for me. There was a time when I used to take any antidepressant that was dished out to me. But maybe I am a bit more assertive now and also anorexia is a pretty important motivator to avoid anything that might increase appetite and weight.

If you are worried about getting your point across why not write it down beforehand and if you get flustered you can hand the psych/doctor the note instead.

I really don't believe they will withdraw support just because you don't want this particular antidepressant and you are within your rights to say no. I really hope it goes well for you.

BTW - I too need to have control in my life, having been controlled most of it by other people, so I understand where you are coming from there. Just be careful please.

Karen xx

happyone
04-02-07, 19:49
Thanx,
I have written down some points that I want to raise. I have resolved myself to having to see psych this week, but i am going to ask that it is not tomorrow. I need time to think it over first.
I am being careful with the control karen, honest. That is why I was saying on the other post about being sensible with my exercise levels.
I will get this sorted.
happyone
x

pamella
04-02-07, 20:35
i hav been on mirtazapine now for 11days, not sure if it helping but i havnt felt need to eat more. i too used to cope with my anixety by not eating only thing i had control over ,then i started to over eat especially at night. felt it helped my panic2munch on crisps etc, sure i was going to die that nite anyway so why not. so at mo i havnt got great appitite and tabs havnt given me one yet. im one of these folk who if i read side effects then i will hav everyone of them. speak to your dr about your concerns.hope this helps a bit.

pjrobb

happyone
06-02-07, 11:06
Hi,
for what it is worth I thought I would pass on that my therapist was supportive of my choice to not take the mitrazepine and wasn't dismissive of my weight concerns. She did however think I need to take something.
Happyone
x

buffy669
09-02-07, 23:46
I have been taking 2 Mirtazapine 15mg tablets every night for the past 9 months. I was very interested to read what people have discussed in this forum about the tablets.

I have put on about 2 stone since I started taking these!! I never thought that the tablets could be a contributing factor! Recently I have really cut down on my food, I am eating lots of fruit and veg and no chocolate or crisps (like I have in the past!!) but the weight is still there and it just won't seem to go!!

I also have this kind of lumb on my leg, just under my knee, and it just feels like fluid inside it. I now think these tablets may be causing this too!! I think a visit to my GP is on order!!

Buffy xxx

jo61
10-02-07, 10:54
Think you should go to the doc Buffy. I've been on Mirtazapine for 5 years and put on some weight at the start but have managed to mainatain 'normal' weight, whatever that is - I don't weigh myself, I figure it out by whether or not my clothes fit me. I've recently gone on lithium and I think that has affected my weight more.

Jo

happyone
10-02-07, 12:47
Hi
I spoke to psychiatrist who said that about 25% of people put on weight on Mitrazepine. I said that 25% was too high odds for me. He was cool but I think he would liked me to have tried it.
Happyone
xx

"Just for today I will not worry. Just for today I will not anger" Dr Usui, founder of Reiki

annamassingham
04-03-09, 21:20
hi happyone, i had been taking mitrazepine for 3 years on and off and i had found that I lost weight no matter what i ate, the only downside to the meds was that i was zonked out for ages after taking it. they were prescribed because i suffered from insomnia and depression which is now been found as bipolar so i no longer take the mitrazepine. i asked so many questions to my doctor about these and he said they would be fine to take as long as it was at night.

the only downside i found was that with me losing weight slowly my appetite went as well, so its best you speak to your doctor if your having concerns.

now take lithium which is helping me so much.

i hope i've helped in some way.

yours Anna

purplepinhead
17-03-09, 10:31
Hi, mirtazapine has worked for me but I am coming of them because of the weight gain issue (3 stone) in a year, but it does not affect everyone the same, some people don't gain weight with it. When the docs put me on it they never told me I would gain weight.

Purple xxx

masimeo
06-05-09, 10:25
Metformin for Insulin Resistance in achieving weight loss: How long does it take to work?

I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and have been prescribed 2500 mg metformin daily.

Many ppl with PCOS, metabolic syndrome, or insulin resistance lose weight bc their insulin isnt working properly without the aid of metformin or the like. I have been on it for over a week and have not lost any weight.

chocolatesundae
06-05-09, 12:07
The benefits of taking this drug, since it has been prescribed, more than likely outweigh the negatives. If this is the same as the brand name Zispin, I took this in 2001 (hence slightly vague but believe it to be the same!!) when I had postnatal depression and it didn't make me put on weight; what it did do was make me more likely to feel like going outside and doing some exercise and living, so for me they worked. I would suggest, if taking them is going to add to your anxiety that you go back to the psy and speak to them about changing them for something else as soon as possible. Wish you lots of luck!

Ali

Ali x

ElizabethJane
06-05-09, 19:03
I was on mirtazapine last year and put on a stone and a half. I tried really hard to lose weight but in the end abandoned my quest. Interestingly I have been on lithium for about fifteen years with no weight gain. Before Easter I was put on duloxetine which made me very ill sick and dizzy. I also had a severe chest infection. The upside of this was that I have lost lots of weight. I am now attending weight watchers and losing weight sensibly. I have lost 7lbs so far and feel so much more positive about myself. The downside is that the anxiety has increased again as I'm not over medicated. Mirtazapine worked well as an anti depressant and probably prevented me taking time off work /hospital admission. I'm not knocking it for that.

hoji
15-05-09, 22:03
hi
I have read through some previous posts re this med. I have been prescribed Mirtrazepine but have not taken it. I am really really worked up about putting on weight. Through my anx and depression one of the few things keeping me going is my weight loss/food control which now stands at a stone and a half and regular small eating.
It might not seem much but even the thought of putting on a few pounds feels catastrophic for me. I am still overweight and would like to lose another stone.
Has anyone actually LOST weight whilst on this drug? my fear of taking it has helped prompt me to be rather silly and I have now gone a week without anything, I came off the other one without starting this one.
Does anyone think my psychiatrist will see this as a legitimate reason for not even trying them or will it be put down to my anx? I am worried that I will stop worrying about it on this new drug and be relaxed enough to grow fat and happy, but then when I eventually get better I will hate the way I look.
I don't have problems with eating in general except that I overeat when I am anx or depressed (when I wasn't on meds) it makes me feel good to be able to refuse the things I used to indulge in.
I am also worried my therapist/ gp will withdraw their support if I don't toe the line.
Any thoughts much appreciated
happyone
x

I can agree with this, but it is nothing to be alarmed over. I've been taking Mirtazipine for about four years now and have only gained around 15 pounds per year. So you figure that is a little over a pound per month. Now if you exercise regularly, then this might not be a problem. I have a slow metabolism and don't exercise hardly at all, and this medicine has barely made me gain weight. I don't know how it will effect you if you easily gain weight as it is.

Hope this helps!

JusJackie
06-09-09, 19:13
I've just started Mirtz and like Pamela if I read about the side effects I sure as hell get them.

Have been on Mirtz since Friday, today being Sunday & I cant stop eating chocolate which is rare for me. I normally munch my way through crisps.

I had been trying to watch my weight as I am a comfort eater & have gained 4 stone over the years which I put down to my depression/Anxiety/Panic Attacks and use food as a comfort to me. Over the past 6 weeks I have lost 12lbs and I am so so worried that the Mirtz is going to blow me up even more! :weep:

I am seeing my GP on Tuesday morning & I am going to raise this issue with her and ask if she will prescribe me Orlistat weight loss pill aslo know as Ali which you can buy over the counter & £50 for a months supply. Why pay that amount when you can get it from GP for the cost of a prescription. Although GP has said to me before one step & one problem at a time. Ok for her to say she is only about a size 8/10. While I'm continuing to balloon & know I will being on Mirtz as it is a known side effect.

Good luck to you.

Jackie

lonely
06-09-09, 20:13
Hi Happyone

I hope I didn't make things worse with my comments about weight but being anorexic I did a lot of research when my psychiatrist wanted me to take this medication. I was suspicious she wanted me to have an increased appetite and more weight gain.

Doesn't mean it will happen to you but I am sure there will be alternatives the psychiatrist can offer. Remember that you do not have to take the medication if you are against it. I refused.

I can understand the need to have control - that's one part of what anorexia is about. You are doing what you can for yourself and being as informed as possible will help you put your views across at the appointment.

Karen xx

im on this also, and my pyshciatrist is most worried about my weight loss due to anorexia, which is partly why i think they prescribed this medicatio, i was petrified to take it at first i now take it at night, but i feel im compensationg by not eating proper meals :weep: