PDA

View Full Version : really worried now !

sue447
03-02-07, 16:01
hi again,
im really worried as my midwife told me that my blood test showed im not imune to chicken pox i was told that if i contracted it i could get a life threatning lung infection ive never been so scared im 16 weeks pregnant my mum said i had chicken pox when i was little and i had it again a few years ago any advise please
luv sue xx

kimmy
03-02-07, 16:13
Get a second opinion!! Call them and tell them you are worried, say your mum has told you- you had them before and you dont understand! I think your midwife should of been a little more sympathetic and could of discussed this with you further. I mean if this is the case, that you are not immune to chicken pox- what can be done about it?!!

Elle
03-02-07, 17:34
Sue
I didn't think that you were tested for chicken pox in pregnancy. Are you sure this wasn't for German measles - Rubella? I know they test for this. Things might have changed though, my youngest child is sixteen. It's Rubella that can cause damage to the unborn although not in all cases, it seems.

Chicken pox in adults can be nasty but rarely life-threatening. My husband had it when my children did. Yes he was ill but he was fine within a week or so. Actually my youngest daughter has never had it. Lots of people escape having it until adult hood.

Elle

sue447
03-02-07, 17:45
thanx for your reply elle im immune to rubella i didnt know that they tested for chicken pox in pregnancy either the midwife said it can be dangerous for mum and baby ive been reading up on it and didnt like what i saw some pregnant ladies can develop a serious lung infection that can be life threatening thats why im so worried luv sue xx

Elle
03-02-07, 17:56
Sue
I understand your concern but maybe you're worrying a bit too much. I just checked out this site, maybe you have too:-
http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/chickenpox.pdf

Even if you got it the risk to your baby is small. Even women who contract rubella in the early weeks can go on to have a normal baby. And you are quite far along now.

It's daft to worry about something that might not happen and likely won't. My ex neighbour got chicken pox from her two children when she was in her thirties. I'm sure lots of women who haven't had chicken pox have babies and don't even give it a thought. Of course, having the chicken pox later on can be a bit of a nuisance. My daughter will likely have the same dilemma.

All you can do is avoid being around children who might have the disease. But even if you contracted it, it doesn't mean to say that your baby would suffer. Don't look for problems.

Take care

Elle

sue447
03-02-07, 18:18
thanks elle i feel a bit more reasured now i guess it the pregnancy hormones thats making me worry more luv sue xx