PDA

View Full Version : Qu about HIV test

Westielove
21-07-15, 02:15
So tomorrow I will face my 4 year long phobia - the HIV test!

A huge panic attack today forced me to go to a private GP/psychiatrist and beg for help so he gave me some Diazepan and told me I must go for the test tomorrow to finally lift this fear off my back. He told me I will get through it no problem with the Diazepan as they will zonk me.

So I agreed and off I went back home with my husband with the plan to go tomorrow morning first thing. Problem is, despite taking a Diazepan, I am now lying in bed in full panic mode, completely wired and don't know what to do. It was 21:00 when I took the tablet so I am contemplating taking another one but have hardly eaten anything so don't know whether it's a good idea?

Also, the doctor I saw (he seemed a little backstreet dodgy) told me that you don't need to fast or anything before the test even though my husband was told to fast when he had his test done.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Or does anyone simply feel like a chat just while I try and calm down from this panicked state?

Thanks a lot

---------- Post added at 01:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

I also wanted to know if a high temperature affects a HIV test result in anyway because I am currently running a 37.5 temp. Please, any help anyone?

worrywart29
21-07-15, 02:34
You do not need to fast for an HIV test. I didn't and my test wasn't affected in any way. As far as the fever I doubt it would alter your results an HIV test look for antibodies for HIV in your blood, having a fever will not make these antibodies appear if they weren't there in the first place. Gd luck and try to calm down I'm sure you will be Just fine!

Westielove
21-07-15, 02:41
You do not need to fast for an HIV test. I didn't and my test wasn't affected in any way. As far as the fever I doubt it would alter your results an HIV test look for antibodies for HIV in your blood, having a fever will not make these antibodies appear if they weren't there in the first place. Gd luck and try to calm down I'm sure you will be Just fine!

Thanks worrywart! Could I ask you another qu - were your results easy to read? Because I asked the doc would the results show clearly positive or negative (I have to pick an envelope up) for me to be able to read easily but he didn't give me a straight answer and said something about it being numbered and that I should bring them to him

Fishmanpa
21-07-15, 03:21
I also wanted to know if a high temperature affects a HIV test result in anyway because I am currently running a 37.5 temp (= 99.5F). Please, any help anyone?

I'm glad to see you facing the dragon and putting this behind you. And just for the record, you don't have a "high temperature"!

Positive thoughts

worrywart29
21-07-15, 06:02
Thanks worrywart! Could I ask you another qu - were your results easy to read? Because I asked the doc would the results show clearly positive or negative (I have to pick an envelope up) for me to be able to read easily but he didn't give me a straight answer and said something about it being numbered and that I should bring them to him

The doctor read my results but I was given a copy afterwards that Just said negative next to it. I don't remember seeing any numbers on the copy he gave me.

Hypo84
21-07-15, 10:33
It's negative, relax, chill, go with your husband and celebrate...Hiv test can't be false negative after 4 years!

Westielove
21-07-15, 10:49
It's negative, relax, chill, go with your husband and celebrate...Hiv test can't be false negative after 4 years!

Hi hypo84 I think you misread the last message, it was worrywart who was responding to my question about how the test results appear. I haven't had mine yet. Although I have just done it! Finally, after all this time, I plucked up the (Diazepan induced) courage. Now I have to wait for a couple of hours until I can see the results online. Gonna keep myself busy until then and my husband will read them for me as I won't be able to (coward I know)

I'm trying to visualise negative results, but you know how our anxiety gets in the way of positive thoughts

Fingers crossed for me!

Westielove
21-07-15, 18:24
Just found out my results - NEGATIVE!!!

This is the best day of my life!

Can't believe that all those years of stress are over! For the first time in years I won't think about HIV every moment of every day!!! Woohooo!

Thanks for the support xx

Fishmanpa
21-07-15, 18:55

Of course it is! :D Now... look into treating your anxiety so you don't ever again worry needlessly for 4 years about something else! Congrats!

Positive thoughts

Frenchy
21-07-15, 19:11

This is the best day of my life!

Can't believe that all those years of stress are over! For the first time in years I won't think about HIV every moment of every day!!! Woohooo!

Thanks for the support xx

I'm really thrilled for you. Learn from this experience... promise yourself you will never let fear control you this way again.

Now be good to yourself.... treat yourself with something nice...and let go of the last 4 years.

worrywart29
21-07-15, 19:26
I knew it would be congrats!