PDA

View Full Version : Is going to work more harmful than helpful for recovery?

bekw89
21-07-15, 21:24
Hi all,

I understand the importance of not avoiding places and situations that make you anxious, but can you go back to work too soon? I have been feeling better lately and today went back into work for a few hours. As soon as I went in I got a wave of DR/DP, anxious thoughts, jolts and had to fight a panic attack off. Now at home i'm still having a few jolts the rest of my symptoms have gone. Do you think work or facing your fears too soon can make it worse, or is it just an accepted stage of recovering? I must add my symptoms did ease up at work but we're initially terrifying.

Oosh
21-07-15, 22:13
I think the goal would be to deal with the reality of work and manage how you feel successfully when you're there. Learn to calm yourself down and gain confidence. That's only going to happen facing it day after day. Retreating away from it just makes it a thing to be faced at some point in the future indefinitely.

On the other hand if you think that particular kind of work environment makes you anxious and that a different kind would suit you more then that could be a positive change you could make too.

bekw89
22-07-15, 06:27
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right. I do have to face it, it's just so intense when I am there it seems to affect my anxiety levels once I'm home and the day after. But i guess the only remedy to that is to keep going.

MyNameIsTerry
22-07-15, 06:43
I always think this is a tough one because it can go either way.

I hung on to my work until I just couldn't cope anymore because I knew my anxiety would just turn inward and look for anything in my home life to pick on (and it did). The trouble was, the work was stressful, the environment was one of fighting/backstabbing and conflict and I had started to hate my work. So, after trying to get them to make changes for me to return, I decided to prioritise my health and leave.

But it is completely true about avoidance too. If you can find a way to stay at work, I would encourage it as long as it isn't even more detrimental than being at home or perhaps working elsewhere or even volunteering inbetween to keep you social.

Some things you can try a practical solution for e.g. phased rreturn to work, lighter duties, etc. Some things are just too big though and sometimes a sideways move is a possibility. It really depends on the type of work you do and then there is the financial pressure issue to consider.

Beyond that, trying to change how you view things is another way to deal with environmental issues. Some things we just can't change so we can try to change how we view them to reduce the impact on our anxiety levels. It's hard work though since thats more the cognitive end of CBT.

MrAndy
22-07-15, 09:16
I went back to work after being in a pysch hospital after 3 weeks because I was getting worse being stuck at home in a house by myself
It was a big mistake and far to early to go back,I cracked up again and ended back in a pysch ward.
I think its a very difficult one to get right but staying locked up at home isnt the answer,I suggest a phased return to work with your hours cut right back.The 2nd time I went back I only worked 3 hours a day and increased it it after 3 weeks an hour more each week.Anxiety feeds off idle hands ,even now 2 years down the line I have to always keep myself occupied otherwise the anxiety will bite
good luck,if you need any more advice please ask

Richard1960
22-07-15, 09:35
Hi.

Obviously i do not know who you work for but does your company have or use an occupational health service these are very good at talking to you and perhaps writing to your GP,and they give advice to the company about what you could be expected to do or wether you need a period of "Phased" work in other words working less hours for a while,whilst still keeping you there.

It might be worth asking if you could be referred for an occupational health assessment as some companies even if they do not run their own will use an outside one.

If not i would sit down with either HR or your line manager for a conversation about what you are going through,as if the wrong things happen at work it could affect your health and maybe once they know the full picture perhaps even writing to your GP they could help.

But ultimately if you think work could be affecting your health you have to put yourself first and take some time out,but if you can i would say stick in there and look at taking the advice i have outlined above if you can.Has your GP passed you on for further treatment IE CBT therapy or maybe to the Mental Health Team locally if not do ask they are there to support and it would strengthen your case at work if they could see you as being proactive.

MyNameIsTerry
22-07-15, 09:54
I would add to be careful with occupational health having access to your GP by writing. They will want your medical records that way and you need to be clear that you are ok with this. My company tried this but I decided not to allow it and the occupational health nurse didn't actually need it since he spent time with me detailing my issues. This gave me the freedom to leave out things that my employer didn't need to know which I would talk to my GP about.

They did tell me that they keep things confidential but from my years working as a manager, confidential is only a matter of how professional the staff are. Things can get around and you have to think about whether there are things you would rather keep private.

But I do otherwise agree with Richard on accessing them because they can often provide solutions to the other side for you and your manager will have a harder time justifying not doing something to his manager when OH don't agree.

Silently_suffering
22-07-15, 15:59
Hi,
Can anyone give me some advise to help me try to put my anxiety back into its box. I have been on the sick since Monday with stress mainly due to my anxiety over work. I'm now in the house on my own and now my anxiety has taken a grip on me as I am constantly worrying about what will happen when I return to work. I am having constant negative thoughts about being performance managed and worse case scenario is that they sack me. I have been considering for sometime stepping down and taking a less stressful position but there are financial consequence's to this. I feel trapped and alone and my head feels like it is going to explode. I have been to my GP who prescribed Fluoxetine for depression, however I don't have depression I have terrible anxiety. Can someone please give me some advise as I feel like I am going to go crazy ! .

Sorry if my post is a little messy just my head is really not with it.

Thank you L.

MrAndy
22-07-15, 16:38
Hi,
Can anyone give me some advise to help me try to put my anxiety back into its box. I have been on the sick since Monday with stress mainly due to my anxiety over work. I'm now in the house on my own and now my anxiety has taken a grip on me as I am constantly worrying about what will happen when I return to work. I am having constant negative thoughts about being performance managed and worse case scenario is that they sack me. I have been considering for sometime stepping down and taking a less stressful position but there are financial consequence's to this. I feel trapped and alone and my head feels like it is going to explode. I have been to my GP who prescribed Fluoxetine for depression, however I don't have depression I have terrible anxiety. Can someone please give me some advise as I feel like I am going to go crazy ! .

Sorry if my post is a little messy just my head is really not with it.

Thank you L.
I have been in the same position as you ,call a meeting with your immediate boss and tell them what you are going through dont bottle it up.Also go back to your GP and ask for a sick note to cover you for a longer period of time.When I went back to work after being ill i soon realised i couldn't handle a management job any more and stepped down with a huge pay cut.You will be surprised how much less money you can learn to live on.
Reach out for help and be honest about how you are feeling with your boss and GP ,if you are not ready for work yet stay off ill for the time being.You can return on a phased hours basis to suit how you are feeling,dont be scared of loosing your job it never happened to me and i was very very ill
good luck

bekw89
22-07-15, 20:32
Thanks for all the replies, I went back into work for 3 hours yesterday and when I went in i had horrible DP/DR felt so unreal it was terrifying , panic pangs, checking my breathing etc. by the time I left I did feel a bit better but was exhausted practically went straight to bed. Today I have been anxious when i normally get my respite and I believe this is due to being at work yesterday. I didn't go in today because I couldn't shake the anxiety i already felt and the thought of what was waiting for me was too much. I should add i haven't had much time off for this. Really less than two weeks in total and during that time i have been into work for varying lengths of time and picked up my emails from home. I am beginning to think I need a real break from it and maybe do some volunteer work to keep me busy, what do you think?

MrAndy
23-07-15, 08:20
Thanks for all the replies, I went back into work for 3 hours yesterday and when I went in i had horrible DP/DR felt so unreal it was terrifying , panic pangs, checking my breathing etc. by the time I left I did feel a bit better but was exhausted practically went straight to bed. Today I have been anxious when i normally get my respite and I believe this is due to being at work yesterday. I didn't go in today because I couldn't shake the anxiety i already felt and the thought of what was waiting for me was too much. I should add i haven't had much time off for this. Really less than two weeks in total and during that time i have been into work for varying lengths of time and picked up my emails from home. I am beginning to think I need a real break from it and maybe do some volunteer work to keep me busy, what do you think?
speak to your GP ,if your unfit for work which it sounds like you are he will sign you off

ricardo
23-07-15, 08:41
bekw89

I think regardless of all the advise given on here it is ultimately your decision.I know that seems to be an easy answer but perhaps initially talk to your boss, see what they say and then come back on here.

bekw89
23-07-15, 19:16
Well my boss told me not to bother getting a fit note and to do what I can but now I am finding this worse as what I have managed is three hours out of a 40 hr work week. I think I'd like to go into work in theory and completely understand how it helps but I should mention this job caused me a lot of stress prior to me getting GAD and panic disorder. It's not the best environment to be in and we are an overworked department. My boss left me a voice mail today seeing where I was with work etc as iv been picking some emails up from home, although not many. I didn't reply as just the thought of talking made me feel stressed. I know you've helped all you can but I just feel stuck.

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-15, 22:26
If work is a trigger, continuing working from home can prevent you from taking a break. You can feel stressed just picking up an email and getting drawn into work dramas & problems to the point you don't have much of a break.

Richard1960
23-07-15, 22:35
So your boss knows you are not feeling very well and he leaves you a message asking how you are getting on with work at home.

Do they not realise its this kind of thing that is not helping you are clearly struggling and need some help including from your workplace.

Which is why i suggested occupational health if you have one or finding out if your firm has access to a provider,they can act as a bridge between you and your employer,and advise your employer what at this moment in time you can and cannot do.

And your firm would look very bad if they ignored that advice.

Even when not there you seem to be getting pressure from work.

bekw89
23-07-15, 23:11
MynameisTerry & Richard, I really am not having much of a break at all. I said I would pick up emails as a courtesy because my manager was on her own that week but now they are fully staffed and they know I am struggling so I think the best route is to go to the doctors and get a fit note even though they are saying it is un necessary. I haven't really had a single day where I haven't responded to a text, email or phone call about something work related all the while trying to get my head around what is happening to me.

As you suggest I am going to have to take a more formal route as this just feels messy and isn't working.

Richard1960
23-07-15, 23:20
Yes i think for now you should get a fit for work note the guidance here from ACAS might help you.

The formal route could get you into a better place,it sounds as though work is not being that helpful in telling you one is not needed.

.Your GP can refer you to a free occupational health assessment if you have been or are likely to be absent for four weeks. You will receive tailored advice from an occupational health professional, who will talk about any health issues and your circumstances and then create a return to work plan with recommendations to help get you back to work safely. You can decide whether your return to work plan can be shared with your employer or not.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2832

bekw89
23-07-15, 23:23
Thanks for all your help.

Richard1960
23-07-15, 23:25
Thanks for all your help.

Thats ok perhaps the best bit of advice i can give is to think "proactively" and remember it is your health.:)

MyNameIsTerry
24-07-15, 04:21
I would say on top of Richard's advice that if you use an external service from a GP you should also check on whether there is any obligation by the employer to implement their advice. There wasn't with mine but they were an internal OH service.

It's another failure on my GP's part as I didn't know they could refer you for this unless the law has changed in the last 5 years?

One way to look at this is that you have a good manager who is inexperienced but has done well in lowering your hours so low. Another thought is that they know full well that a GP is going to tell you to avoid the place like the plague when he/she issues a FIT note and they are being clever in retaining your services. A GP can make the FIT note conditional too if needed.

For some, keeping busy might be useful like this as anxiety loves us sitting around. But I think it really does depend on whether your anxiety is triggered in those situations.

My employer was mailing or calling me daily because of the constant mistakes they were making in my illness reviews and it was just making me worse.

Phill2
24-07-15, 04:46
Check out this topic http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7832