PDA

View Full Version : Shaken up - possible trigger

Mindknot
22-07-15, 11:42
Our toaster caught fire last night at 3 in the morning - we were woken by the smoke detectors and were able to put it out. I've been doing okay with my anxiety lately but am all over the place today... and the house still smells like burning plastic so I'm worrying it's bad for our health... Fireman said electrical fault, but I'm worrying I somehow caused it, maybe it needed cleaning, or maybe we shouldn't have left it plugged in..... scary. :weep:

I realise that this isn't a post that anyone can particularly help with, but I had to write it somewhere so that I can believe it was just an accident and not think too much about the what ifs.

SarahH
22-07-15, 12:27
Yes it was an accident. And you will feel shaken its the fight or flight mechanism that has been triggered. Your body is now full of adrenaline which will take a few days to subside. But it will and you will relax again... don't worry... you will be fine.

Sarah

MyNameIsTerry
22-07-15, 12:55
The fireman would have seen things like this loads of times so I think you should hold onto that. As Sarah said, you adrenaline is up and it will take a little bit of time and I'm betting the smell is only triggering memories of the event too so try to get out for a walk to clear your head.

I used to work in utilities and I've dealt with some fire issues in the past and I can tell you that if the firemen thought there was a possible issue with electricity they would cut your supply and the distribution company would be out to check the meter & cabling and to reestablish your supply.

Any possibility of internal wiring being an issue and the firemen would take no chances with you.

Try to relax, burn it off with some walking and relax before bedtime so you get a decent nights rest and things will be better tomorrow.

Mindknot
22-07-15, 14:07
Thanks both. I'm out at work at the moment, so not in the house, but seems like the smell is stuck on my clothes a bit. I think the added tiredness of being up in the middle of the night has made my anxiety shoot up higher than it would've done. Hopefully the smell will have cleared a bit by bedtime, and at least I know there are no more toasters in the house tonight! :-/