PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Teresa59
23-07-15, 10:45
Hi
This is my first time ever of joining a forum... I'm really nervous, which is not helping my anxiety, lol.
This is a big step, but I need some support, I have been a guest here for a little while and want to be part of this community
My name is Teresa and I live in London, I live in a shared house with my brother and his wife, and I have only been here a couple of years... I have my own room.
In April I had some health issues and an operation, nothing serious but quite traumatic, since end of May I have had recurring problems which are under doctors investigations, obviously I was and still am unable to work mainly due to discomfort and some pain.
I now have depression and anxiety due to all of this, it has been a nightmare, I've never felt this low and this confused before. My brother and wife do not want to help, in fact they are giving me no support at all. I do get that they don't understand what I'm going through, my brother doesn't like any sickness around him... But that makes me more alienated.
I don't have a partner to lean on, most of my hospital appointments I attend alone.
My GP has prescribed me medication about 7 weeks ago which was citalopram I took it two days and felt worse!! It scared me, so I didn't take it again.
So she prescribed Sertraline, but I'm scared to take that... Now she has prescribed escitalopram 5mgs... I haven't taken any, had them a week, but I know I've got to, cos I'm getting worse!
I'm alone basically, frightened and as my brother would say (and he has) I'm weak if I take medication....
I have a hospital appointment tomorrow with a gastroenterologist regarding my stomach pain, then I thought afterwards I would start the escitalopram ...

I want to gain support and advice from others here, who have been through this, I feel kind of lost and afraid..
This seems a wonderful community

venusbluejeans
23-07-15, 10:51
Hiya Teresa59 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

MrAndy
23-07-15, 10:57
your not weak if you take medication its no different from taking a paracetamol for a headache
when you get anxiety and depression its important to reach out for help,please dont be scared taking the meds i took sertraline and the side effects where minimal
It does get easier with time and you can be cured 100% dont let anybody tell you any less
good luck

Teresa59
23-07-15, 11:39
Hiya Teresa59 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Thank you for the welcome I am definitely going to have a good look at everything here!

Teresa

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

your not weak if you take medication its no different from taking a paracetamol for a headache
when you get anxiety and depression its important to reach out for help,please dont be scared taking the meds i took sertraline and the side effects where minimal
It does get easier with time and you can be cured 100% dont let anybody tell you any less
good luck

Thank you for this, it means a lot, I agree, I don't see it as weak, but my brothers been pretty awful to me and due to the way I feel I then felt how can I possibly take these meds when I'm living with them?
I know I've got to take them, I have Sertraline too.
They are 50 mg my doctor said only take half a day, but I'm not sure if to just start on the escitalopram!

Teresa

MrAndy
23-07-15, 12:10
Thank you for the welcome I am definitely going to have a good look at everything here!

Teresa

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Thank you for this, it means a lot, I agree, I don't see it as weak, but my brothers been pretty awful to me and due to the way I feel I then felt how can I possibly take these meds when I'm living with them?
I know I've got to take them, I have Sertraline too.
They are 50 mg my doctor said only take half a day, but I'm not sure if to just start on the escitalopram!

Teresa
im not a doctor so cant say which one to take all i know is sertraline worked for me and was easy to get on and off.50mg is the standard dose ,some people go up to 100/150mg
If your brothers going to be like that just ignore him ,you dont need negative people in your life right now

Teresa59
23-07-15, 13:33
No your right, I don't need negative people in my life, thanks for your advice

Pepperpot
23-07-15, 20:11
Hello :)

I'm new here too (joined yesterday) and I've been having panic attacks (even though I think I may still be in denial lol). I just wanted to give you my take on the tablets you've been prescribed. A few years ago there was a little bout of depression in my life and I went to the doctor. He prescribed citalopram but I was scared to take it as I had seen about 6 other people close to me be poorly (I'm talking sickness and just generally feeling unwell) for the 1st two weeks as it got into their system. So I refused it and he prescribed sertraline. I took it for a awhile with no side effects, in fact nothing, it did nothing for me so I thought sod this, and went back for citalopram. I braced myself for the sick feelings but nope, nothing. I was fine. And they helped, they really did. Took the edge off the way I was feeling so I could get to the root of the issue. I am rubbish at taking tablets and I did forget to take them every now n again; when that happened I felt light headed but I felt ok once I took the tablet. I eventually weaned myself off them when I felt I no longer needed them.

You are not weak. Weak is not accepting help. You ARE doing something about the way you're feeling. Don't listen to your brother. I think that until people have actually experienced some kind of panic attack/bout of depression then they possibly cannot understand. Concentrate on getting yourself better and if you ever need a chat, I'm here (as well as all these other lovely peeps). Xx

Teresa59
23-07-15, 20:46
Hello :)

I'm new here too (joined yesterday) and I've been having panic attacks (even though I think I may still be in denial lol). I just wanted to give you my take on the tablets you've been prescribed. A few years ago there was a little bout of depression in my life and I went to the doctor. He prescribed citalopram but I was scared to take it as I had seen about 6 other people close to me be poorly (I'm talking sickness and just generally feeling unwell) for the 1st two weeks as it got into their system. So I refused it and he prescribed sertraline. I took it for a awhile with no side effects, in fact nothing, it did nothing for me so I thought sod this, and went back for citalopram. I braced myself for the sick feelings but nope, nothing. I was fine. And they helped, they really did. Took the edge off the way I was feeling so I could get to the root of the issue. I am rubbish at taking tablets and I did forget to take them every now n again; when that happened I felt light headed but I felt ok once I took the tablet. I eventually weaned myself off them when I felt I no longer needed them.

You are not weak. Weak is not accepting help. You ARE doing something about the way you're feeling. Don't listen to your brother. I think that until people have actually experienced some kind of panic attack/bout of depression then they possibly cannot understand. Concentrate on getting yourself better and if you ever need a chat, I'm here (as well as all these other lovely peeps). Xx

Hi Pepperpot, lovely to meet you! thank you for your message, it's good to know that sometimes, depending on the person, side effects may not be as bad as anticipated..
What mg did you start on? The Escitalopram I'm thinking of trying is 5mg, doesn't seem much I know, but thought I'd start that low and possibly up the dosage after a while if needed?

Yes I agree, weak is not accepting help and acting like nothing's wrong, I'm not going to listen to my brother, this is about me and what's best for me!
Since this anxiety, I've had a few panic attacks, I'm nervous to go out sometimes, it's awful, I hate not being in control...
I'm so glad I found this place, everyone is so supportive!

Teresa xx

Pepperpot
23-07-15, 20:55
Hi,
Hmmmm I can't say for certain for the sertraline I think it was 50mg. The citalopram was 20mg then put up to 40mg. I've never even heard of the drug Escitalopram but I've just checked it out and standard dosage is 10mg so 5mh is a good starting point if you're nervous. :)

Teresa59
23-07-15, 21:10
Hi,
Hmmmm I can't say for certain for the sertraline I think it was 50mg. The citalopram was 20mg then put up to 40mg. I've never even heard of the drug Escitalopram but I've just checked it out and standard dosage is 10mg so 5mh is a good starting point if you're nervous. :)

I think, not sure though that Escitalopram is similar to citalopram, from the same family? I did try citalopram 20mg, that was about 7 weeks ago, it freaked me out, my anxiety was off the radar, I was shaking, hot, tingling, it was awful, I only took it for 2 days, now, if I had persevered, I probably would have benefited by now! Thanks for checking it out :)

Pepperpot
23-07-15, 21:20
Yeah maybe you should have persevered, but tbh I probably wouldn't have done either if I felt so ill lol. I remember taking champix for stoping smoking and they made me feel sick as a dog so I gave them up and tried an ecig instead.

Try the Escitalopram; you might find its better for you and you respond much better to it. I really do hope it helps you, and I think you have the mind set to sort your problems out and get better :)