PDA

View Full Version : Left arm "discomfort"

Bugga
24-07-15, 09:51
Alright, so I've had uncharacteristic anxiety the last month. Most of it health related, but this health anxiety was probably brought on over real life issues. So I directed my anxiety over seemingly meaningless symptoms. After a few weeks of relatively high anxiety and worrying the worst was happening with my lymph nodes, I started experiencing muscle issues. Mostly just twitching. Not involuntary movement of limbs like my arm or fingers, but the more common twitching if a random square inch of muscle in a random spot on my body. This used to happen to me once every now and then, but due to the anxiety it happens A LOT. I've seen a doctor for the lymph nodes and sent him a message about the twitching, he seems confident that nothing is wrong and suggests seeing a psychologist for the anxiety. I am certainly going to follow all his instructions.

What I'm here to ask you guys is what is going on with my left arm. I'm 22 with no family history of heart disease, so I really don't think this is heart related, or at least signs of a "fault" heart. My elbow had had what seems like a slight twitch or heartbeat that I can feel on the inside "crease" of my elbow. Today it progressed to a feeling that is hard to describe. It's not quite a pain, it's more of a tightness. The same feeling is in my hand aswell. Mostly in the ring finger/pinky side. I have full range of motion, maybe slight nimbleness in my pinky, and if my mind was off of it I might not even notice it. As I write this, however, the elbow seems normal with no twitch, but my upper arm had a slight, dull pain that seems to correspond with a similar mild pain my my pinky.

So let me know what you guys think. Again this had been going on for half the day, so anything like a heart attack seems out of the question. But maybe this is a heart related anxiety issue? Through out this anxiety filled month my left side seems more affected than my right.

Thank you for any and all opinions

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

Ok, of course, the idiot that I am I google "localized twitching" and BOOM several results for ALS pop up. I forgot to add that I did bicep curls for the first time in a long long time two days ago.

Frenchy
24-07-15, 12:08
The sensation you're describing in your arm and fingers might actually be caused by slight pinching further up in the nerves around your neck or shoulder. Even if you don't feel any pain in your neck and shoulders, even a slight pull there would absolutely cause aches and sensations in your arm and fingers. And that could absolutely have been caused by some bicep curls. Were you doing standing curls?

Some people prefer doing seated curls with their elbows (or rather their upper arms) supported on something to achieve a better muscle isolation and stop them using their neck and shoulders doing any of the work (or getting injured).

Just forget ALS. Look at the actual statistics - how many people have it, and even better how many people have it in the 20's. It's virtually nil.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Otherwise, everything you're describing is very likely to be anxiety related. That is to say, muscle twitching and so on (especially when you start focussing on it) is extremely common.

And angina or heart disease in a 22 year old - whether you have a family history or not - is unlikely in the extreme. 22 year olds simply do not get blocked arteries. It is almost unheard of in that age group - it's just not old enough for anything to have had time to build up.

kiiing
24-07-15, 14:59
The sensation you're describing in your arm and fingers might actually be caused by slight pinching further up in the nerves around your neck or shoulder. Even if you don't feel any pain in your neck and shoulders, even a slight pull there would absolutely cause aches and sensations in your arm and fingers. And that could absolutely have been caused by some bicep curls. Were you doing standing curls?

Some people prefer doing seated curls with their elbows (or rather their upper arms) supported on something to achieve a better muscle isolation and stop them using their neck and shoulders doing any of the work (or getting injured).

Just forget ALS. Look at the actual statistics - how many people have it, and even better how many people have it in the 20's. It's virtually nil.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Otherwise, everything you're describing is very likely to be anxiety related. That is to say, muscle twitching and so on (especially when you start focussing on it) is extremely common.

And angina or heart disease in a 22 year old - whether you have a family history or not - is unlikely in the extreme. 22 year olds simply do not get blocked arteries. It is almost unheard of in that age group - it's just not old enough for anything to have had time to build up.

well never say never
but yes the likelihood of it happening at such a young age is very unlikely
have better odds at winning the lottery for example