PDA

View Full Version : Feeling so bad and scared

sootywillow
24-07-15, 13:57
Hi there
I am new to these boards but not new to health anxiety unfortunately. I have emetophobia too but every now and then I get spooked by some health worry which takes over my life but now my symptoms are so bad I'm convinced the worst has happened. I've been having strange nerve sensations in my legs for a while now and my hands have become stiff without any swelling or pain. I'm finding it hard to type and there seems to be a time lag in getting them to work. Although I can still pick things up and feel sensation, things seem to be getting worse rapidly. I am completely freaked out and can't bear the panic. I've been the see the GP but he has dealt with me before and automatically thinks it's the fear rather than anything really wrong.
I know the panic doesn't help but the underlying feeling is that there is something seriously wrong. I know no tests will reassure me as you can't get a definitive test for ALS until things are pretty far gone so I feel in limbo and that I can't cope with what's going on at all. I've asked for medication as I feel I need something to take the mental pain anyway and I've been prescribed some mirtazapine but I know this will take a few weeks to kick in.
If you have H A how do people cope if the diagnosis is actually bad? I just can't bear the fear...

tmckenzie-orr
24-07-15, 14:10
ALS ice bucket challenge did you even know what als was until the ice bucket challenge?. Its crazy hhow the mind works and what symptoms the body gives of when your in fight/flight mode, if you have health anxiety you over intensify the symptoms and feeling by 10 x. it is a very scary process you feel like your goin to suffer from a serious illness, and you panic, Please listen to your doctors, I know the hardest thing is listening to what they say if they say your fine because you read horror storys of doctors not diagnosing somebody properly but thats like 99.5% the doctors do know best , only 0.05% they miss diagnose for something wrong, but you think why am i feeling this if im fine, its because your so overly focused on your body thats why, Sounds like you need to be refered for cbt and tablets its the best way to help overcome this bad health anxiety best of luck and listen to your doctor