PDA

View Full Version : Call back after test

robin321
24-07-15, 16:00
Hi all,

I have been doing ok. My health anxiety still flares up.

Quick summary of why I am writing now:
3 years ago my wife had an abnormal thyroid test. She had an ultrasound of her thyroid. All was ok - showed early Hashimotos. No follow up required.

3 yrs later - a few times a month she gets throat pain - discomfort. Dr said she could have another ultrasound. We put off getting it, as she wanted to get it when she had the pain. She finally had it on Tuesday. We thought scan went well. Their were cysts on prior scan - and technician had hard time to find them. She even had to get radiologist to try to help her find them. We took that as a positive.
Our dr is away for 4 weeks - which we knew. So I wasn't happy about waiting that long for the results, but was happy that the scan seemed to go well (hard to find must be good right!?)

This am the Dr's office called to make apt with her to go over results. Her Dr is away (as mentioned) so the apt is not until Aug 25!

I am super anxious about why they would call. The rational side is that the dr is away, this is normal protocol. When my son had a benign hernia and it was scanned, the doc also called. So it seems that the doc is good at calling back.

The irrational side is screaming louder, saying it is 'C'. or something else. Telling me I won't make it through next month because I will be so anxious.

I cannot tell her I am scared, cause I don't want to scare her. I am venting here b/c I have nowhere else.

This weekend we are having a weekend away from the kids, and inside I feel it is ruined. My wife is super happy and doesn't seem anxious. But she may be putting on an act for me. I don't know!

sophieunderscore
24-07-15, 16:09
If it was 'C' they would not be making her wait a month, that's a fact, it it is more likely to be something routine that can wait a month to be dealt with, if the Dr was concerned, at all, she would be rushed in, not casually told she had an appointment in a month!

robin321
24-07-15, 16:30
Thanks so much Sophie! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I guess my fear is that he is gone away on vacation for the month (he isn't even there this week) so that is why he isn't seeing her right away. If it was super urgent, maybe someone else would see her. I don't know.

sophieunderscore
24-07-15, 16:42
Someone else would see her, they wouldn't just let a 'C' diagnosis float around in the air for a month because a Dr had gone on holiday, that's just not how it works.

tmckenzie-orr
24-07-15, 16:43
exactly what sophie said above, If it was cancer the appointment wouldnt be next month she would be seein another doctor dont worry and if shes being strong dont bring her down sort it out and man up :D easier said than done but try too anyway lol

Rennie1989
24-07-15, 16:48
Doctors recall patients to discuss results as protocol.

worrywart29
24-07-15, 20:21
The fact that she have to wait that long is good news. Sound like they genuinely just want to go over the results with her. If it was the big C she would have been called in right away.

robin321
26-08-15, 00:33
Hi! Just an update. She had the appt today, and all was pretty good. No nodules. The thyroid appeared aggravated, which is something called hashimotos and it is treatable. So all is good!