PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations/"fluttering", followed by clearing of throat

Zep
24-07-15, 17:18
I am a 26 year old male who has been suffering from what appear to be heart palpitations. As far as I can remember, it will happen once every few days (I can't give a more accurate estimate, sorry) where I will feel as if my heart has skipped a beat, or as if it has started beating out of rhythm. I will feel something in my throat like phlegm and have the urge to clear my throat with a cough (usually just one or two), at which point my heartbeat will begin returning to normal.

I'll admit that I would be lying if I said I lived a perfectly healthy lifestyle. I try to go for a brisk walk every day for at least 20 minutes, as well as keep my intake of sugars, fats, salt etc. within the daily recommended dosage, but otherwise I've been living quite sedentary. I've been unemployed for over a year and my sleep pattern isn't so good (going to bed early morning, waking up early afternoon). I've also been struggling with depression for several years, which has made it extra difficult for me to muster the willpower to try and fix these problems.

Frenchy
24-07-15, 19:04
Hi there

What you describe is not uncommon. Ectopics/flutters/palpitations..these can cause a bit of a cough or a throat clear in some people. Its just a reflex that some people seem to have when they detect a little blip. I don't think anyone really knows why really. Usually these beats (and even the resulting cough) are harmless and benign.

Have you ever had an ECG or Holter Monitor, or any other heart tests out of interest?

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Just to add - the cough itself has absolutely nothing to do with regulating your heart beat or returning it to normal. It would do that anyway... I think the fact the you have this cough reflex with these palpitations may make it feel very much like the cough is somehow connected to your heart going back to normal, but it really isn't.

Zep
24-07-15, 19:23
I haven't had any heart tests recently, no. I can't remember if I've had any in the past, although I did have some blood tests a few months back and they didn't mention anything about possible heart problems from that (although I'm not sure if something like this would be detected via blood tests.

Frenchy
24-07-15, 22:01
Well, you're young so the likelihood that there is anything seriously wrong is very low I think.

The occasional skipped/extra beat (or even the odd short run of them together) is quite common - and some folks are just more of aware of them than others. And as I said, the cough/throat clear reflex is pretty common too. The vast majority of the time they are completely harmless and just more of an annoyance.

If you are concerned, or the palpitations become bothersome - you could always make a routine appointment to see your GP. Most surgeries should be able to do an ECG - which should confirm that everything is normal. If that puts your mind at rest, that itself may alleviate any anxiety and help you to begin noticing them or worrying less.

kiiing
25-07-15, 13:55
after plenty of ekg's that i have taken 4 to be exact just this year alone many docs have stated that heart flutters and everything else are quite normal
in people who do not suffer from high levels of anxiety might think its a random little muscle spasm or something
in people who do suffer from anxiety will def feel them as they are scary many people instantly think its a heart attack or something is wrong

coughing does in fact help me when i get them pretty bad but now i just ignore them
out of sight out of mind and they no longer bother me like before

for sure get tested or checked out it can def put your mind to ease if everything comes back okay