PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol (Inderal)

Jen84
15-10-03, 20:00
I was given this last week by my doctor. Only took 20mg Monday and Tuesday. I keep abit light-headed. My heart also keeps running!is this normal?im abit worried about it! Jen x

nomorepanic
15-10-03, 20:04
Jen

If you can wait until tomorrow then Radar (Meg) may know some more about this but she is away at the moment.

I have no knowledge of it - sorry, but I do know that a lot of anti-depressants make you feel light-headed when you first start taking them.

Nicola

Jen84
15-10-03, 20:12
Ok thanks x

nomorepanic
15-10-03, 21:51
Jen

Did you look at the info on my site about this cos a common side effect is dizziness. Go to:

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/propranolol.htm

Nicola

fiona
16-10-03, 20:02
Dear Jen

re: Propranolol this is a medicine called a beta blocker, it is not an anti-depressant it works by blocking out the feelings of a fast heart beat therefore reducing anxiety symptoms.

benoo5
16-10-03, 21:04
hya jen,
as fiona says, its a beta blocker,and is often given to help alleviate the symptoms of anxiety,such as palpitations,shakes,sweating etc , by reducing the heart/pulse rate.
as with all drugs,there maybe side affects,but ime sure your gp will be able to put your mind at rest...best wishes...bryan

Jen84
16-10-03, 21:34
Thank you i dunno what to think so ive stopped taking them! Cant be bothered Jen x

nomorepanic
16-10-03, 21:46
Jen

You will have to go through the same symptoms with all drugs - they take time to kick in.

You just have to trust in them and persevere.

Nic

Meg
17-10-03, 00:25
Hi Jen,

I think you've decided what to do anyway and you've had lots of good advice and information here already

Betablockers are usually used at full dose to reduce blood pressure . For anxiety amd panic we get a lower dose which slows down your heart rate sufficient to reduce the racing heart leading to shortness of breath spiralling into a panic state fuelled by the fear of what might be happening to you.

It may also lower your blood pressure a bit which may make you feel lightheaded/ dizzy. It's just doing what it says on the tin !! If you are seriously dizzy go back and review with GP , if it's only a bit and it's helping you anxiety wise then persevere. These should kick in immediately and seems they have by what you've said.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...