PDA

View Full Version : My anxiety story

Bcason
25-07-15, 19:58
I'm new to this forum, or any other forum for that matter.
I began suffering from panic and anxiety in high school, I never received help then, I just got through it the best I could. It was bad back then and I was able to over come any panic attack for several years.

Then June of 2015 I had my first attack in many years while sitting at my aunts house. I felt the tingles and heat flowing through my body and start shaking. My grandmother was there who worked with people who had panic for many years so she was able to calm me down. But after the attack I had so many thoughts that I couldn't control. I felt afraid all of the time, I was waiting on another attack to start any mintue. I never really felt like I came completely out of that attack for two days. The next morning I woke up in a attack and called my grandmother. I was afraid to be alone but knew I need to go see the doctor. She took me to a few places that day until someone could see me. I was prescribed Prozac and beta blockers and start them that day. I felt like I had calmed down some once talking to some doctors but was still afraid to be alone. I stated therapy immediately and learned ways to recognize the symptoms coming on so that I could stop them before they got to bad. The meds made me very tired and out of it for weeks but I didn't care because I was able to just sit with myself and not freak out. The thoughts were still overwhelming and the scariest part of the experience.
After being on the meds for almost 2 months and taking to psychologist, I feel like most days I have everything under control. I have had one episode in the middle of the night but I was able to use the tools I learned to stop it from going into a panic attack. Also, the tools have helped me to be able to stop the thoughts before they get overwhelming. I have also since found God and religion, this has be one of the biggest helps. I feel like I always have someone with me that I can talk to and can calm me down no matter what. Everyone with anxiety knows that having that person to calm you down is so necessiary, well my person is never to busy! I do also have a supportive family and boyfriend that understand my problems and know how to help. A support system is so helpful!

venusbluejeans
25-07-15, 20:09
Hiya Bcason and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Pepperpot
25-07-15, 22:43
Hello, welcome :)
Glad you have found God & religion helpful in your quest to overcome anxiety. What other methods have you found helpful? X

hungry ghost
26-07-15, 15:36
Hi welcome to the site, I'm new too so hanging out in the introduction threads.

I'm glad your anxiety as improved and have found things/people to help/support you. People are pretty important, one of the worst things about anxiety is isolating yourself, it''s always good in situations like this to embrace others.

Was/Is your anxiety social ( related to people)? Or general ( related to well everything else I guess)?

peace

Bcason
26-07-15, 20:15
Glad you have found God & religion helpful in your quest to overcome anxiety. What other methods have you found helpful? X

Hi pepperpot,
The psychologist I was seeing taught me many breathing techniques to help calm on coming attacks. I'll sit in a dark, quite room and close my eyes and take deep breaths in focusing only on my breathing rather than my panic thoughts, I do this until I feel a bit more calm and then I like to do some sort of chour or activity to keep my mind off of it. I stay active and eat healthy and this seems to help. Also I was taught to be a good self observer so I can easily recognize the on coming signs so that I can get a head of them before they take over, this has been one of the biggest helps!
I hope these things help for you!

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

Hi welcome to the site, I'm new too so hanging out in the introduction threads.

I'm glad your anxiety as improved and have found things/people to help/support you. People are pretty important, one of the worst things about anxiety is isolating yourself, it''s always good in situations like this to embrace others.

Was/Is your anxiety social ( related to people)? Or general ( related to well everything else I guess)?

peace

Hi hungry ghost,
Thank you for your reply! I agree that a support system is very great in this situation. Unfortunately I have general anxiety so I can be having a great time and feeling normal with friends or sitting at home watching tv and bam, out of no where the rush of fear! I'm learning to see the signs of it coming on so that I can calm myself before going into a full blown panic attack, this has been very helpful.
I hope you can find some comfort with your anxiety as well. Is yours social or general?