PDA

View Full Version : Question for Asthma sufferers

its1111
25-07-15, 21:24
I have recently been diagnosed with asthma and was using xopenex (a rescue inhaler) until my doctor recently prescribed a preventative inhaler. I previously noticed that when my asthma would act up, my mid/upper back would ache SO badly...I assumed it was just the asthma. However, now that I have started using the inhaler, I have noticed that the back pain occurs only after using the inhaler for quite a few hours....Is this a common side effect? It is very painful and really messes with my daily activities. I've noticed it with the preventative and rescue inhaler.

If anyone has an idea of what could be causing this, I'd appreciate it...with my HA, I have wondered everything from lung issues, to PE, to trying to rationalize the situation.

Thanks for the help:)

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-15, 05:37
Yes, aches & pains are a possible side effect for some of these steroid inhalers. Some mentioned lower back, some upper back.

I would suggest checking the side effects profile on Drugs.com to see if it is listed to be sure.

You can have these pains with asthma alone but if you can attribute it to your inhaler use, your doctor may need to try a different one if it continues.

its1111
26-07-15, 14:15
Thank you, Terry. Yes, it is listed as a side effect, but I didn't think it would be so extreme. I have not been able to take a deep breath in 2 days, so it's starting to concern me. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd inhaler I have tried because the steroids in the others have effected my voice so badly (I use my voice for a living).

Hoping it is just the inhaler and nothing else...I just wish I could breathe!

its1111
26-07-15, 19:02
Yes, it is definitely the inhaler causing the back pain. I woke up this morning and didn't have any pain...and 30 minutes after taking the inhaler, I have felt awful. Back pain, tight chest, can't breathe well.

Does anyone know of any natural ways to reduce asthma? I am starting allergy shots in 2 weeks and I already take magnesium.

MyNameIsTerry
27-07-15, 04:50
You obviously need to see your doctor about this one. I have seen a reference on asthma forums to an inhaler some tried when they had issues like this so perhaps your doctor will be able to suggest something?

There are supplements that some people seem to suggest. I know I've seen things like turmeric, serrapeptase, salt crystal forms e.g. salt pipes, etc. So, you could perhaps check out some of the reviews on those? I'm going to give these a go to see if it improves mine as my peak flow has dropped a bit.

Exercise is a big recommendation too (from Asthma UK) but consult your doctor about this as you are not stable right now by the sounds of it. I would be careful with supplements too for now for the same reasons and make sure you check them against your meds too. The ones I mentioned above don't interact with either my asthma or anxiety ones but some anti inflammatory supplements do.

Suggest looking on the big charity websites for advice too and they usually have forums so you may find some better advice on there if you do some searching.