PDA

View Full Version : NIC URGENT QUESTION??????

kazzie
04-02-07, 18:35
Hi Mate

Need a favour!!!!

My son is going to see a private councillor tomm and she is charging £150 for the first hour and £70 an hour after that!!!!!

Her name is Lavinia Dowling and she dosent seem to be qualified to me have looked up her website and she dosent have a clinic here in Southampton and has told my sons rather silly grandparents that they must pay for it whether he goes or not cos she has to hire a room!!!!

So cutting to the chase can u find out if she is qualified or not????

I wouldent ask Nic but im really worried that she will mess with his head and make him worse!!!!!

If you see this and you can help I would be sooooooo gratefull!!!!!

Luv Kaz x x x

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!!!!!

honeybee3939
04-02-07, 18:47
Hi Kazzie

That does sound very expensive!

Here is a link http://www.bacp.co.uk/seeking_therapist/index.html with therapists that are registered with the British Association of Therpists.

It may help.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

clickaway
04-02-07, 18:57
I certainly wouldn't see this person until your son has been told what qualification she has - it just says RMN on her website which I don't think is relevant

There are various recognised bodies for counselling and psychotherapy.

I went to a counsellor two years ago that cost £35 per hour and now have a psychotherapist that costs £40 ph. So I have my doubts about this woman.

Incidentally, according to her site Bill Gates invented the internet. Really???

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

sophieunderscore
04-02-07, 19:06
Hi Kazzie... hope this helps a little

I googled RMN for you and this is what it came up with

"RMN - registered mental nurses have taken a three-year course. If they qualified in the past ten years, the training was probably at a university with some general nursing included. Before this, the RMN qualification was obtained by a three-year course at a mental health unit and was mostly practical.

An RMN qualification doesn't make someone a psychotherapist or counsellor, but it's considered to be a good basis from which to take further training, which is what many nurses now do. If they do something you believe to be wrong, you can complain to the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC)."

She is charging a disgusting ammount of money, as Ray said you should be paying about a 3rd of that if not less, grrr!

carldourish
04-02-07, 19:26
If u don't have contract of therapy, then u don't have to pay.

Carl

kazzie
04-02-07, 19:33
Thanks all of you!!!

I know it is a rip off but cant seem to make him or his grandparents see it!!!!

But more than the money im so scared she will screw him up even further!!!!

To enlighten you all which I guess I should he was abused by his step father many years ago and it all went to crown court and he was found not guilty!!!!

He has recently met a lovely guy called Andy and they are having a relationship!!!!

Rich however cant accept that he loves another guy and has major issues with it!!!

He now blames his (very ex) stepfather for turning him gay(his words not mine)

No one has a problem with this except my son who seems to hate himself for it!!!

He went a bit mad the other morning and his grandparents have organised this councellor against my inner feelings that she is ripping them off but my bigger worry like I said is that she will mess him up even more!!!!

Sorry for the long post but being as you have all replied thought id better tell you the situation!!!!

thanks again for the replies

luv (a very worried ) kaz x x x

Krakers
04-02-07, 19:42
Hi Kazzie - I know nothing of the relevant qualifications needed, so won't comment on those. What I will comment on :

She left the NHS in 2006 (Accoring to an add on a Portsmouth site), so hasn't been private very long.

Her fees same astronomical, and given they are so high I was wondering why her site looked so 2 bob like.

And as Ray rightly pointed out, Bill Gates didn't invent the Internet. Content is very important for a website as is accuracy. Hers seems to do a lot of NHS and Primary care bashing.

Anyhow, none of this answered your original question, just my 2 penneth.

Krakers.

kazzie
04-02-07, 20:01
Cheers Krackers!!!!!

Im so worried about this its untrue!!!!

Thanks for your reply and yours too Carl!!!!

Still dunno what to do his appt is at 1.30 tomm and im so worried!!!

He has pinned all his hope on her to find a solution to his problem but I think he just has to accept that he is bi sexual( he has had girlfriends) and he will be fine!!!!

The odd thing is the only person that has a problem with it is him!!!

Kids eh grrrrrrrr..........

luv kaz x x x

Piglet
04-02-07, 20:17
Kazzie nothing majorly to add here other than just because people charge a really high fee doesn't necessarily make them any better than someone who charges a third of that. Sounds extortionate doesn't it.

Totally understand your concerns mate and hope you can get something sorted out!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

yorkylover
04-02-07, 22:47
Hi kazzie,I think he needs to see his gp and be reffered to a councellor who deals in sexual issues.My brother is gay and had alot of problems coming to terms with it,one minute he wanted to be a woman, the next he was gay.He saw a sexual counsellor.Your son seems to have alot of issues he needs to off load.He can get help without the large costs.He needs someone experienced in the right field.I hope it all goes ok.Pm me any time.

Ellen XX

kazzie
04-02-07, 23:10
Cheers Piglet and Ellen!!!!

Well dunno what to make of it all really!!!!

Seems to me he wants to pay someone to tell him he isent gay!!!!

Like I said before its only him that has an issue with it!!!!

Ho Hum........will keep ya all posted!!!!!

Luv Kaz x x

yorkylover
05-02-07, 13:24
I understand that Kazzie,hes probably finding it difficult to come to terms with.Hes probably still unsure him self,but at the end of the day only he knows what he wants.

Ellen XX

kazzie
05-02-07, 20:33
Thanks Everyone

Well he went and found her very good he said so maybe my panic was all for nothing!!!!

will let you know how it goes

luv kaz x x x