PDA

View Full Version : Major Anxiety

NZ
26-07-15, 09:00
I accepted an internship away from home, and was going to live with my brother. Now it's almost time to start it I am having major anxiety about moving away. I tried moving out before but anxiety took over and I came back home. I'm really close with my family and I get anxious about being away from then. On top of it I now have to start my new internship which is making me feel equally nervous and it's putting so many self doubts in my mind. I'm thinking of commuting from home now but I feel like I just gave in again and letting anxiety win.

Has anyone been in the same position or can provide some words of undderstanding / hope?

Oosh
27-07-15, 15:56
Well maybe you will find it a bit too much, but why not try it and see first. How you imagine things is rarely like the reality.

Give yourself permission to call it all off after so many weeks/months if you're struggling, but go and see what the reality looks and feels like first.

It's going to be terrifying to anticipate, that's natural. It doesn't really have much to do with what the reality is like though.

So feel terrified, go anyway, see what it's like. If after a while you think there are things about it you just are not going to be able to get your head around then you've given yourself permission to return.

Anything tricky while you're there, look for ways to cope, overcome, relax, feel confident, enjoy, find new perspectives on.

You'll feel your confidence, self esteem etc rocket if you can go and make it work.