PDA

View Full Version : Panic on the underground

Emma_student
26-07-15, 19:30
Hi all,

Would really appreciate some help and advice on this. Ive started having panic attacks on the tube for literally no reason at all. I used to get one every once in a while, but now, every time im on the Underground, i feel like im about to go crazy!! Ive never been claustrophobic, agoraphobic or socially anxious in my life and suddenly this new thing as popped up.

One thing i do though is i never get off the train or run away, because running away will make things worse for me. But the sensations are horrible!! It seems to purely be my body reacting to being on the tube and my mind follows as, on my last trip out, i kind of monitored what the process was and found that the further i go underground, the worse the adrenaline comes... So strange!

Anyone else struggling with this? :wacko:

ana
27-07-15, 12:06
Hi Emma,

it may be that you've developed some kind of a negative association with the tube. Sometimes we can't explain why it is that we are perfectly fine in some places while in other places we experience panic attacks. I've never ever had a panic attack while on public transport, as I used to take the bus to uni every day. My time at uni was one of the happiest times in my life (as cheesy as that sounds haha), however, I couldn't go into other people's cars because I once experienced a massive panic attack while in my friend's car. Thus, I associated cars with panic attacks.
Similarly, I experience panic attacks on a daily basis on my way home from work even though it's a short walk. I need to go down a road and I panic every single time; it's awful! :weep:
I've identified the cause of why I think going down this road may be problematic (it's not the road itself that's the problem, obviously, but the negative feelings and thoughts I'd been having while on my way back from work) and why my body has wanted to remove me from the situation by making me want to run.

Perhaps it would be useful for you to try and remember what preceded the first panic attack you had on the tube, and then move on to rationalising your current fear about going on the tube. It's only a means of public transport, it's not a scary monster, and you know this, just try and make your subconscious mind know it, too. :)

Oosh
27-07-15, 16:56
Yeh I agree with ana. A negative suggestion might have popped into your head.

"What if I need to get off ?"

I try and actively change my associations. Make the subway your safe place from now on. Picture something dangerous happening NOT on the subway making the subway you are thankful to be in at that moment. It's safe, protected etc

"Phew, thank god I'm on the subway" :)

Think up your own reasons why that might be and there might be your useful perspective change.