PDA

View Full Version : Fever not dropping after tylenol

Hypo84
26-07-15, 23:35
I got diarrhea and fever today diarrhea actually stopped and fever was around 37.4 c all the day and it was breaking me but I didn't took anything until it reached 37.8...then I took tylenol and after an hour it didn't drop even a bit. Should I be worried?

countrygirl
27-07-15, 13:49
I am guessing tylenol is paracetamol in the uk? Sounds like have a stomach virus and if you do then a temp is perfectly normal to have with it and yours is not very raised. My husband had one of these back in January and his temp was 39C for nearly 48 hrs - he was well again in 4 days.

Given your temp is not that raised I would not worry and I am sure you will be okay again in day or two.

Hypo84
27-07-15, 14:11
Thank you...Yes, I also think it is stomach virus. I usually dont have that high fever, 38.2 is I think the most I had ever. Anyway...today was 36.8 which is fine, but it's rising.

It's paracetamol I just assumed many ppl are from us here...dont know why :)

One question...is it true that low grade fever shouldnt be lowered with paracetamol since it is helping you fight infection or I can take when my muscles ache?

stk149
27-07-15, 14:16
Thank you...Yes, I also think it is stomach virus. I usually dont have that high fever, 38.2 is I think the most I had ever. Anyway...today was 36.8 which is fine, but it's rising.

It's paracetamol I just assumed many ppl are from us here...dont know why :)

One question...is it true that low grade fever shouldnt be lowered with paracetamol since it is helping you fight infection or I can take when my muscles ache?

Hey Hypo,

Sorry to hear you're feeling unwell. To be honest, there's pros and cons to lowering or leaving a fever. I had the flu two weeks ago and the high temperature/muscle aches made me feel really uncomfortable so I just took some paracetemol! They say that fever is a sign of your body fighting the infection, but to be honest even when I took the paracetemol my flu was away in a matter of days.

Don't worry about taking the painkillers if it makes you feel more comfortable. Just don't take too many :)

Hope you feel better soon!

- Therese x

countrygirl
27-07-15, 14:22
Unless a fever is very high then its the body doing the job it should as viruses don't like high internal temps so as has been said its not straightforward. As long as you are careful to never go over the daily dose of paracetamol then it won't harm you.
If you have awful muscle pain and shivers then paracetamol can make you feel a huge amount better physically.
Sounds like you can cope without the paracetamol at the moment so maybe wait and see?

Hypo84
27-07-15, 14:44
Now I am fine, pain is not great, yesterday night was terrible that's why I took it.

Then I won't take until I can't stand pain and I'll just let body fight virus.

Thank you very much for help.