PDA

View Full Version : Is this Asperger's and anxiety?

phil06
04-02-07, 20:38
I have anxiety and manic depression and I've been told there is a possibility that I have Asperger’s syndrome, I don't know much about it but from what I've been told it sounds like I have it, for example sometimes I treat my girlfriend bad, I say things I don't mean and I constantly worry about her getting fat or looking fatter, I don't want these thoughts but they don't seem to go away, sometimes I go all quiet for a while when I get them so I don't say anything I don't mean, could this way I behave be Asperger’s syndrome?

I don't think this way I act is normal and I think I may end up losing my girlfriend if I keep it up, I have lost many friendships and relationships in the past down to the way I act sometimes, the funny thing is I only act like this a small amount of the time, most of the time I feel normal and don't get any of this on my mind...could it be anxiety? depression I just want to know why I feel like this.[V]

Can anybody offer any help?

Karen
04-02-07, 23:35
Hi Phil

Sounds like you are coping with quite a lot at present. Have you had a formal assessment for Aspergers? I have a friend with a son who has it and it can be present in varying degrees.

A couple of sources of information you might find helpful are OASIS (http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/) and also The National Autistic Society (http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=212).

It would be worth asking for an assessment if you have not had this already and remember that many people live normal lives with Aspergers, even if that is the case here.

Karen

Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?
Dont they know its the end of the world?
It ended when you said goodbye

dave01
05-02-07, 09:12
Hi phil, asperger's is right at the top end of the autistic spectrum and many people function without even knowing they have it, and indeed live fullfilled lives, including holding down a full-time job, because as i say aspergers can be so high functioning it would be very easy for any of us to say our traits and mannerisms are due to aspergers, i myself suffer with anxiety and could relate some of my issues to it. obviously i am no doctor so i can't say any more than this, but i hope it is of a little help to you.
Take care.

d.jones

Sax
05-02-07, 10:20
Just wondered who told you, you may have Aspergers Syndrome?

i don't think we are in a position here to diagnose, as others say a lot of people have autistic traits.

If you need a diagnosis maybe get your GP to refer you but those things you mention could just be related to your anxiety and depression. I suffer with depression and push others away to the point when it affects friendships/relationships, i also go quiet, shut the world. So it could just be your way of dealing with the depression but i'm interested to know who suggested the aspergers phil!!

love Sax xx

wobily_lin
05-02-07, 15:40
elo,

Anxiety can make us have the most awful weirdest thoughts.

My son is Autistic and i too would like to know who suggested you had this??

Definitely an assessment is needed believe me..My son is very autistic but as said above by dave, ppl with Asperger’s syndrome, can and do function perfectly well in life..

Autism has a very broad Spectrum...my advise is get a professional assessment from a dr. qualified in the Autism field..
hope it helps.x

Take care,
Lin xxx
"Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

phil06
05-02-07, 16:03
Thanks for the replies, I was told I could have Asperger's by the Psychiatrist that is assessing how I get on, I also get therapy for my anxiety and found that helpful.

He never said for sure I had Asperger's but said it was a possibility from what he has seen of me, I have looked up the symptoms but don't really think many of them are me...I would just like the bad thoughts to stop, not sure if it is the anxiety or depression but I find I do go on a bit when I start saying stuff I don't mean to my girlfriend, basically I would like this to stop so I am wondering what I can try to stop it, for example writing stuff down ect..