PDA

View Full Version : Starting Venlafaxine

Munchlet
28-07-15, 08:43
So after having a complete breakdown last night thinking I had swollen ankles I've decided that it's time to take the Venalfaxine.

Any positive stories would be appreciated as I'm feeling quite anxious about this drug. I have tried many SSRI's over the years and understand there are both good and bad but the last few drugs I've tried haven't done much at all for my anxiety so hoping this one is better.

swgrl09
28-07-15, 12:10
I haven't taken this one personally, but the SSRI I'm on has really helped my anxiety. I don't obsess over health symptoms like I used to.

Hope it goes well for you!

SADnomore
29-07-15, 03:50
Hello, Munchlet!

Myself included, there are a good many of us here on ven at the moment. Fingers crossed that it is the one that helps you, as if it does, it's a really good med. An SNRI, rather than a straight SSRI, so it has some aspects to it that may be just what is needed. We are all different! Good luck, and do be sure to check out the venlaxafine threads, and feel free to post one of your own or comment on the others! :flowers:

Marie

Munchlet
29-07-15, 11:37
I couldn't do it, took one tablet, felt so sick and no appetite which I know is normal, then had the migraine from hell. I took one look at side effects which sent me into a complete panic and called GP. So he is now putting me back on Fluoxetine but upping my dose as he said it worked really well for years and I might just need a bigger dose, he also said if that doesn't work he can add on an additional med to get rid of the anxiety.

I'm hopeless with meds I get myself so worked up about possible side effects it scares me half to death. I know Fluoxetine probably has the same side effects but because I've been on and off it for years it kind of feels safe in a weird way.

Feel really pathetic as I know if I gave half of them a chance they'd probably be really good :weep:

Cupcakegirl
29-07-15, 17:54
If you decide to try again....I had fantastic results with this. Really helped my anxiety tremendously. Had some side effects in the beginning, then some GI issues. But to me they were worth getting out of hell. Good luck.

GoWhiteSox
31-07-15, 15:10
i started it a week ago and it has helped me....meds are hit and miss though some help some people and do not help others..you have to find the right one for you..i would say though that if you do decide to start it and if you do suffer from health anxiety..dont spend time googling side effects etc..if you do i can almost promise you that you will manifest those side effects and then you wont give the meds a chance to help..have open and honest communication with your dr about what you are feeling when taking them and let them decide if it is a med you can or cannot handle...hope that helps

Munchlet
31-07-15, 15:45
Thanks GoWhiteSox I started Fluoxetine today, I probably didn't start Venalfaxine at the right time as I've been feeling really low and under the weather generally so I naturally panicked as soon as a headache appeared.

In hindsight I probably should have given it a chance but hopefully Fluoxetine will put me in a better place.

GoWhiteSox
31-07-15, 16:07
thats ok like i said different meds are right for different people..as far as side effects go try to give it a week or two alot of times side effects go away once your body gets used to it..for the meds to 'kick in' try to give it 3-4 weeks..if the meds are working well for you, you will know it..if not your doc can try something different

SADnomore
31-07-15, 17:46
Just wanted to say, you know, the biggest favour they could do us is to explain that side effects are a normal phase at first and many people get them, with most medications. Most importantly, they just have to be got through to get to the good stuff, it's not like they just go on and on! Most doctors don't want to talk about such things. Mine looked at me like it was an affront to complain, I should just suck it up, the point was the good that the med would soon be doing, after all. Lol!

And so I did, suck it up. It feels like a long time, those first weeks, but once we are through them it's worth it!!
Marie

Munchlet
31-07-15, 17:54
I agree Marie and the worse of it for me is when they say things like "incidence unknown" then it goes on to list loads of life threatening conditiions!

I think if they explained it as you say but also pointed out that the more serious affects are very rare it would give us a bit more confidence and reassurance!

:)

GoWhiteSox
31-07-15, 18:02
my pdoc didnt give me side effects bc he knows if he told me then i would start to think i had them, and i thank him for that :-)...he did give me his email and told me to contact him if i had issues with the meds, which i appreciated bc it beats calling and having to wait for a call back

SADnomore
31-07-15, 18:37
Really? See, I would find it reassuring to know what to expect, so I don't start to think something's wrong because I'm getting headaches or whatever. I don't like to read the leaflets, because I can see where that might be worrisome (and besides, it's tedious). But most of them cause headaches and nausea, so I just think it would be good to be prepared for that happening, so it doesn't make me think it is something wrong with me.

If they only just acknowledged that the common s/e are possible, when it's a new med to us, and reassured us that these are both normal and only temporary, then I have to think that more of us wouldn't panic, and would give them a proper chance. I may be wrong of course. But I mean, if you're going to get them anyway ...

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

I agree Marie and the worse of it for me is when they say things like "incidence unknown" then it goes on to list loads of life threatening conditiions!

I think if they explained it as you say but also pointed out that the more serious affects are very rare it would give us a bit more confidence and reassurance!

Yes, Munchlet, I really think we need to be educated about how these side effects reportings work. For example, the less common side effects like high blood pressure, are just that, much less common and our docs take into account our overall health and don't prescribe things that will cause trouble. They weigh out risk against benefit and need, and don't give us meds that would put us at risk. Unless it is completely necessary. With all the psych meds at their disposal, though, they can always look at something else, and they know that. :D

As for the "incidence unknowns" of dangerous occurrences, we need to understand that physical diseases are always happening to the overall population, which includes those of us who happen to be on this med or that med, right? This means that we can have a heart attack that we would have had in any case, it had nothing to do with the particular medication. A co-incidence. Two things happening at the same time, but one not causing the other. Still has to be reported as having occurred while on the med. None of us can live our lives in a manner that will avoid all happenstance, right? Let's not reject a med that has a good chance of helping us, just because some people coincidentally had a heart attack while happening to take it (same time as they were also eating a high-fat diet and getting no exercise, say).

GoWhiteSox
31-07-15, 18:44
in my case the only side effects i have felt is i felt a bit wired the first night after taking it (been fine since) and been sweating a little more under my arms..other than that nothing adverse

Munchlet
31-07-15, 18:49
Well you've certainly given me some reassurance over Venalfaxine I hope the Fluoxetine works but if not I think I'd certainly want to give it another shot. Fluoxetine is just my safe bet, it doesn't work all the time but I know that I can take it with minimal side effects and when the HA is sky high which mine is at the minute it's one less thing to worry about.

GoWhiteSox
31-07-15, 18:57
good luck! the fact that you are seeking treatment is a big step in the right direction regardless of which med you are on :-)