PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it hard to stop thinking about a panic attack after its gone?

GingerFish
28-07-15, 13:14
I've had panic attacks for over 3 years now and I dread to think how many I have actually had. 100? 1000? Who knows. You would think after experiencing them multiple times a day, ranging from mild ones to major "I am dying!" ones, I would be an expert at dealing with them and would be able to shrug them off as I know all they are are panic attacks and not dangerous but I can't. I can't seem to stop thinking about them after they have passed.

I think about how scary or strong the symptoms are, when/where will my next one take place, will I cope with the next one etc.

To me this is the worst part of the panic attack as I am in a constant loop of fearing a panic and then having one and then fearing the next one and so on. I know its a classic symptom of panic disorder but I see people like my mum and stepdad shrug off a panic attack after it and I just can't!

Cheesemonster13
28-07-15, 14:58
Yes, I got to the point where it felt like I was either in the middle of an attack or worrying about the next one to come, and then triggering it. This seems to be my main state, alternating with brief periods of feeling numb and/or exhausted.

Now when the symptoms of an attack appear I try to make them worse and really push the boundaries. Sometimes I focus on them objectively, as if I was outside myself, and try to describe them precisely as if I was going to write down a description of what was happening to me. It doesn't make the symptoms go away and this isn't the point, rather it changes my attitude towards the panic - from fear to acceptance.

I also do the mindfulness thing - when I remember to. Every so often, I focus on exactly what I am doing in the present, using all my senses. If my mind starts to drift off and think about the past or future, I gently try to bring it back to the present without forcing it. If it only works for a couple of seconds (I'm not very good at this), it still gives me a bit of a break from the anxiety and depression. I find the more I practice, the longer I can sustain this state.

I think I'm trying to go with the flow, GingerFish, which does feel counter-intuitive (whatever I try to tell myself).

GingerFish
28-07-15, 15:38
I really need to look into mindfulness. So many people seem to use this technique to deal with their anxiety.

Oosh
29-07-15, 07:16
It's usually hard to forget about something while you think it's a danger. Like a fear you have that you secretly can't help believing is true. Or a fear that you are at any time at the mercy of a panic attack.

Mine stopped when I stopped believing I was at the mercy of them.
Even then the suggestion can still pop into your head for a long time and maybe occasionally always. But it doesn't stick because I just no longer believe I'm at the mercy of them.

ricardo
29-07-15, 08:41
GingerFish

Even a 100 panic attacks a year is a considerable amount and did I read correctly that your mum and step dad also have panic attacks ?

I can fully understand your distress and though difficult I always try and go with the panic attack and not fight it and as you know eventually things calm down.

I think that you are against taking any medication even for short term relief, but I maybe wrong. I still think you should discuss this with your doctor. Good Luck

GingerFish
29-07-15, 12:55
GingerFish

Even a 100 panic attacks a year is a considerable amount and did I read correctly that your mum and step dad also have panic attacks ?

I can fully understand your distress and though difficult I always try and go with the panic attack and not fight it and as you know eventually things calm down.

I think that you are against taking any medication even for short term relief, but I maybe wrong. I still think you should discuss this with your doctor. Good Luck

Yeah you're right about my stepdad and my mum having panic attacks too. I've spoken to my doctor about medication, he said its there if I want it but I am against medication for myself. I am feeling a lot better today. I have had a few panic attacks today but managed to brush them off and not dwell on them as much. Going to try going out later for a bit.

ricardo
29-07-15, 13:15
I haven't read up on it but by all accounts though you have regular panic attacks your body recovers pretty quickly, which is good.

I don't get panic attacks anymore though I feel anxious 24/7 but when I got them it used to take several hours to feel pretty normal again. My legs would be like jelly and I would feel pretty washed out.

GingerFish
29-07-15, 14:52
I am getting out of this setback and do feel as though I am more anxious 24/7 as opposed to being subjected to panic attack after panic attack 24/7 like I had been at the start of the setback so that's good at least but its still draining to feel constant anxiety of some sort for most of the day.