PDA

View Full Version : Stomach/Gall Bladder Troubles :(

childofgaia
28-07-15, 14:47
Hi everyone!
Seeking some reassurance here as the anxiety part of my mind is fighting hard to take over the rational one.

So,

I'm intolerant to both dairy and sugar and find that if I indulge in those things, I get gallbladder pain (had an ultrasound a year ago and it found 1 small stone..which could/could not be an issue).
Lately i've begun to feel really nauseous/ill just before my period starts-which has been worrisome but I know is due to hormones.

This past wednesday I was feeling VERY nauseous, but ate some ginger and was able to feel normal. Then thursday night I ate a lot of fries w/gravy and pork and had some drinks, felt a bit sick friday but was ok...friday night I ate fish and chips and had a gallbladder attack. I was able to stop the pain with apple cider vinegar (great remedy if those who struggle with pain don't know about it!). Friday I felt ok but saturday & sunday I had 0 appetite and was really nauseous with my lower stomach feeling all gurgly and crampy with heartburn and a knot feeling in the very top of my stomach. This sent me into a panic and so yesterday I went to the ER to get an ultrasound done for my gallbladder. They asked me questions and took a lot of blood tests & urine samples and said because my liver levels were fine/ all my levels of everything are normal, that I do not need another ultrasound and was sent home with a zantac prescription for 2 weeks.

So, hooray! But now I still feel nauseated with little appetite and am very scared that I should have demanded an ultrasound, or that the problem isn't my gallbladder in the first place (maybe I have an ovarian cyst!?!?) and fear I will feel this way for a long time :(

Any reassurance would be so helpful <3

countrygirl
28-07-15, 15:32
I have a gallbladder full of little stones and as long as I don't eat certain food they don't bother me, I have had them for 20 years. I have had attacks in the past so sympathise with how painful they are.

If your liver tests were normal then this is unlikely to be related to a gallstone getting stuck in your bile duct which is good news.

The food you have eaten recently is very high fat ( fish and chips/chips with gravy or fries as you call them) so maybe try a really low fat diet for a few days and see if this helps with yoru symptoms.

23tana
28-07-15, 16:52
I had my gall bladder removed last year. It was done by keyhole surgery and I've had no problems since. I still have to watch that I don't eat too much fatty food. One sign that your diet is too high in fat is that your stools float in the loo.

childofgaia
28-07-15, 19:48
Thank you both for the replies! Do you know if it is normal to experience heavy nausea/no appetite for days following an attack / such a high intake of fatty junk food?! I should add I have had very little actual gall bladder pain..I keep panicking thinking it's something worse and I'll have to go get loads of testing done and feel sick for a long time... Although today I am slowly eating a salad which is good!

countrygirl
28-07-15, 21:10
From personal experience a gall bladder pain attack lasted about 5 hrs and then was completely better in 24 hrs.
I have a friend though who had low grade pain for days before she had a big pain attack and then she was better but a gallstone had got stuck and then finally moved but her liver function test was totally abnormal because of this and it took months for it to return to normal. She has not had any problems since and she was lucky the stone moved itself.

Your symptoms could be gastric related rather than gallbladder. Can you see your normal Dr about this rather than ER?

childofgaia
28-07-15, 21:53
From personal experience a gall bladder pain attack lasted about 5 hrs and then was completely better in 24 hrs.
I have a friend though who had low grade pain for days before she had a big pain attack and then she was better but a gallstone had got stuck and then finally moved but her liver function test was totally abnormal because of this and it took months for it to return to normal. She has not had any problems since and she was lucky the stone moved itself.

Your symptoms could be gastric related rather than gallbladder. Can you see your normal Dr about this rather than ER?

Thank you for replying!
I'm sorry that happened to your friend- it sounds awful but I'm happy she was lucky enough to pull through! It comforts me that it showed up in her bloodwork that something was wrong (liver out of whack).
I can definitely see a doctor, but not for a long while. I went to a walk in clinic yesterday morning and he told me to go to the ER as they would do an ultrasound- but they did not because all my blood tests came back perfectly.

It's possible I have a stomach bug but I am so sick (literally? Haha) with worry that any moment my symptoms will worsen. I'm never ill so this is bothering me a lot.

MRS STRESS ED
28-07-15, 23:26
I am going to see a surgeon tomorrow and to be honest I am really frightened, I am putting on a brave face:doh:I probably just feeling like this because I know I have to have it taken out as it has collapsed any advice please would really appreciate xxxx

23tana
29-07-15, 01:01
For me the operation was such a relief after the sickness and pain. It did take me a few weeks to recover, but it was well worth it.

Hope all goes well for you

MRS STRESS ED
30-07-15, 00:32
For me the operation was such a relief after the sickness and pain. It did take me a few weeks to recover, but it was well worth it.

Hope all goes well for you

Thanks 23tana that is reassuring to know appreciate it xx