PDA

View Full Version : Hi, newbie and struggling

Donbags
29-07-15, 00:04
Hi everyone, I have dipped in and out of this website for a year or two now, but tonight I finally took the plunge and signed up!
My name is Donna, 47, mother of four and married. I have suffered anxiety most of my life - most of my family are worriers and are anxiety sufferers and I can accept that however the last couple of weeks are been ridiculous.
I am going on holiday with the family to Turkey on Friday, on a low cost airline that I have never heard of. Now there are terrorism threats going on I have literally spent the last two weeks, like tonight, up at silly hours because I can't sleep. I'm worried that the cheap aircraft will crash and if we do get there in one piece that we are going to get shot while having dinner or blown up!
I'm fine during the day but the minute it reaches bedtime that's it. Husband and kids all sleep and I'm sitting here fearing the worst.
I sit thinking that when we do go out to dinner that we will sit inside, not near the roadside or outside - if we sit inside we may not be targeted so much. My husband is talking about going to the local bars on Sunday to watch the charity shield football match with my two sons and I'm worried sick that something will happen to them without me there. This worry is so severe each night it's taking the excitement of going away - away! I don't want to do any excursions for fear of terrorism - I'm struggling to keep this in perspective, not helped by someone every day saying 'oh you're brave going there!' Or my mum texting me every day to give me updates on what the government at e saying about travelling to turkey ! Anyone out there that can put some perspective on this I would be most grateful xxx
I travel around the world for my job - recently coming back from Washington, and I've been to Turkey on holiday twice before. I'm sure I'll be ok when I get there but at the minute I'm just all over the place :-(

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Sorry I should add that when I say that I can accept that I suffer from anxiety I didn't mean to sound flippant. I am a terrible worrier, and have a real fear of death. But that's all part of the above post I think xx

venusbluejeans
29-07-15, 00:06
Hiya Donbags and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Mark13
31-07-15, 21:01
Hi Donna. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll benefit from being here, just as I have.

Pepperpot
31-07-15, 23:09
Hi and welcome. You sound just like me! I am terrible before holidays. I insist on watching air crash investigation which makes me terrified but I actually sky plus them and binge watch them. Stupidity.
There are always terrorism threats going on. I went to Egypt couple years ago when all that bother was happening; the airlines have a duty of care and won't fly if its dangerous. I checked the gov website and it says not to travel near border with Syria. I'm sure you won't be. It also says this

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

X