PDA

View Full Version : went to the doctors. (colon cancer fear)

anxietysmymiddlename
30-07-15, 16:33
Hello everyone! I finally went to the doctors. My doctor listened to me about my fear and symptoms. She didn't seem really concerned. She says I'm too young for colon cancer and there are many other things that can be doing this. She decided to draw my blood to check for celiacs disease. But if my blood comes normal. Is this reassuring that my colons fine?

ricardo
30-07-15, 16:47
You haven't told us what your symptoms are ? Anything to do with the colon, usually colitis has definite symptoms and is not dangerous and can be treated.

Fishmanpa
30-07-15, 16:52
Based on your previous posts your doctor is right. Stress related bowel issues are one of the common physical manifestations of anxiety. So yes, while having the symptoms isn't pleasant, it's not sinister and can be treated with proper nutrition and therapy to reduce you stress and anxiety.

Positive thoughts

anxietysmymiddlename
31-07-15, 06:44
Yeah. I am waiting on my blood test results. I have also been refered to a therapist. And prescribed a drug because she thinks I could have ibs. Hope to god it's nothing extremely serious!

ricardo
31-07-15, 06:58
Yeah. I am waiting on my blood test results. I have also been refered to a therapist. And prescribed a drug because she thinks I could have ibs. Hope to god it's nothing extremely serious!

Do the give drugs for IBS or did I read that wrong ? I am sure it's more anxiety than anything else.

56degree
31-07-15, 12:56
Good to hear you made it to the doctors. I am glad you have been referred to a therapist. I am SURE that once your anxiety is brought under control, your symptoms will wane, and most likely go away in time.

I know from experience and reading your previous posts that you made the same initial mistake I did and started googling your symptoms. And this led to anxiety, panic and greater awareness of your symptoms.

Please don't make the second mistake I did and start second guessing your doctor. It will only lead to more false doubt, anxiety, panic and symptoms. This is how health anxiety sustains itself. We notice symptoms, panic, seek reassurance, then question that reassurance, notice symptoms, and panic. It's a genuine vicious cycle but you have it in your power to break it. A good therapy program will give you the tools and strategies to do this.

For now, please place some trust in your doctor and go along with what she says. No disrespect intended whatsoever but she has probably been studying and practising medicine longer than you have been on this planet. You will certainly get better advice and management from her than you will on an internet forum, much less google...so any further questions should be put to her when you get the results of your bloods. If it helps, go in with a list of questions so you don't forget anything.

And finally, given the extremely litigious society you live in, bear in mind that doctors in the United States are very, very careful to ensure they don't miss the sorts of things you are concerned about.

Once again real glad you made it to the doctor. I'm sure things will pick up for you soon.

TheMadOladCoger
31-07-15, 13:59
Hi anxietysmymiddlename,

I thought I would reply to you as 3 months ago I was in the same position as you are now, I myself had the same thing and had the blood test for Celiacs.

My blood work came back fine and they then decided that I more than likely had IBS, I have been fine since then. However when I am stressed I have problems with my bowl this is something that can happen with IBS I have been told.

Best thing is not to worry about it as your doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it, also try not to stress about it to much as if it is IBS it could get worse making you thing that your symptoms are getting worse but it's really down to stress.