PDA

View Full Version : quetiapine, sertraline and alcohol

James244
31-07-15, 13:27
I take 100mg or sometimes 150mg quetiapine a day along with (i can't remember how much sertraline, 150mg too i think) I'm aware that those drugs don't mix well with alcohol. quetiapine has been very helpful with my anxiety and relieves me from it. but now i'm dealing with troubles beyond anxiety and panic attacks. i'm having to deal with my Dad getting cancer and now i just don't want to live in reality anymore. i'm somewhat tempted that maybe when taken all together perhaps they'll take me away from this horrible reality i live in. quetiapine helped me with my own personal anxiety but alochol's always been better at taking me out of reality. (i don't think quetiapine will help me this time as the source of my problems are an external thing rather than a personal internal)

i'm torn about what road to go down. maybe i should stop caring and just dose myself but i think that's probably dangerous thinking. how long can you be off quetiapine for before its safe to drink again?

MyNameIsTerry
10-08-15, 07:57
Clear elimination has the following:

HL.......%

When its under 5% its no longer clinically significant. It's more complicated than this when you consider how people taper as it will mean some overlap and then with some meds (e.g. Benzo's) you also have the storage outside of blood plasma which also needs elimination.

Factors involved in speed of distribution (drug starting to work) & elimination (clearance out of blood plasma) can be things like age (children differ, there are specific calculations for age that can be used for older people), speed of metabolism, weight (which will impact on metabolism), rebal insufficiency conditions, etc. There are some very complicated guides on the internet for those interested such as some books on pharmacokinetics on Google Books but they are very difficult to understand without a medical background.

So, for your Quetiapine you are looking at about 30 hours for the immediate release version (6 hour half life) or 60 hours for N-desalkyl quetiapine (12 hour half life).

For Setraline you are looking at 130 hours (26 hour half life.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. I would urge you to speak to your GP or therapist about your current thinking so that they can help to support you. You don't have to blank it all out and maybe having support to talk through these tough times will help you to manage things better without the need for alcohol which would be a very bad road to go down.

23tana
17-08-15, 06:18
Hold on in there. Your Dad will be needing you :hugs:

pulisa
17-08-15, 08:39
Please don't go down the alcohol route. It won't work and you'll end up with even more problems to address at a time when your Dad will be needing you most.

As Terry suggests, please contact your GP or therapist to access professional support to help you through this very challenging period.

James244
16-09-15, 03:02
i have no recollection of ever starting this thread. it must've shown how bad i was feeling at the time as i normally remember writing stuff. a belated thank you for the replies. i didn't drink in the end, i managed to fight the temptation XD