PDA

View Full Version : Signed off work

TRISTAN
31-07-15, 18:37
been signed off work for last two weeks and due to go back Monday but feel I'm not ready for work yet , how long can you be signed off with anxiety for ?

Does the company that I have worked at for 5 years have a duty to pay me sick pay and for how long

Advice needed please

bekw89
31-07-15, 18:50
Hi Tristan i'm in the same boat as u, due to go back with a phased return but i'm just not ready yet feel like I'm making progress and work will make it worse. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but I think the doctor will sign you off for longer if you explain.

Ohforf
01-08-15, 07:53
I was signed off for 3 weeks and am on a phased return. Work have been really supportive.

As for sick pay I would imagine it depends on the company, you will be entitled to statutory. I would imagine that will be topped up to your normal pay level by your company but you would need to check.

rcs
01-08-15, 08:27
I was once signed off for 6 weeks and received company sick pay the whole time it all depends on length of service and your companies sickness policy at 5 years you sound alright , After 6 months the payments change and your company can reduce them to half and then stop them but that might have changed since I last received it . Go back and speak to your Doctor and take it from there

Take Care

TRISTAN
01-08-15, 10:57
My company have been really good about it and have even offered to pay for private counselling which is good of them x x

SarahH
01-08-15, 11:17
TristanIf you are not ready to go back then tell your GP . he will sign you off again. Keep in touch with your HR/Oc health department. And think about taking up their offer of counselling. It sounds like they are very supportive:)
As for the sick pay, have a look at your contract of employment, which legally you should have and it will state what and how much sick pay you can have.

Sarah

MyNameIsTerry
02-08-15, 08:32
I agree with Sarah, check your contract. It is also wise to review your company handbook or sickness guidelines (including Capability) so you are aware of your rights.

Aside from this, there are statutory requirements for employers and there are loads of online guides to this such as:

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/time-off-work/off-work-because-of-sickness/

CAB are usually a comprehensive website to view when it comes to employment rights & benefits. ACAS tend to have a lot of useful stuff too but it can take some searching and is sometimes easy to find via Google.

Your contract will tell you your entitlements but your company handbooks/online guides are more comprehensive and will explain more about your entitlement. It should explain all about any private company sick pay but remember that SSP is law.