PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotic diarrhea.... maybe??

Cell block H fan
31-07-15, 18:54
My son is 20. About 6 weeks ago he was put on antibiotics by his dentist for wisdom tooth pain. They sorted the pain, but bought on diarrhea within a day.
He's had it since, pretty much everyday.
Has anyone else had this?
At age 20 it's not likely to be anything bad is it?
But 6 weeks is a long time!
Looks like the earliest he will get a docs appointment is monday. He's not off his food. But obviously tummy isn't 100% comfy.
Any advice gratefully received.

ricardo
31-07-15, 19:15
It is not unusual for anti biotics to give this system but it is unusual for it too last 6 weeks. I presume the anti biotics was a short course of say a week.

He may have had a reaction to penicilan which is in a number of anti biotics, but I wouldn't worry too much and you are seeing the doctor on Monday

AlexandriaUK
31-07-15, 19:36
Was it Cleocin he had by any chance and has he had any blood in his motions.

Cell block H fan
31-07-15, 19:54
No blood no, but at times it's almost pure water! He was on Metronizodole

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

He only left college recently & started his first job straight away, about 2 weeks before the wisdom tooth problem. It's an office job & he is very sensitive about stuff like that so he holds gas in, gets terrible wind pains & won't use the toilet there so gets home & explodes lol he loves the job though, he's been lucky in that way. But he's also finding earning money a real novelty & been getting a lot of kebab van burgers which I try telling him is a bad idea!
I know he is 20 yrs old but I have banned him from buying anymore, at least until this is sorted lol he's agreed. I bought him some Yakult today. No idea if that will help....

AlexandriaUK
31-07-15, 20:21
If he can't get to see Dr until after the weekend I suggest he stops all fast foods, lots of fluids as in water and a visit to a walk in centre wouldn't go amiss.
Has he been Dr s since his diarrhea started.
Metronizodole is an antibiotic that rarely causes colitis but can in extremely rare cases but as I said its rare.
Having no blood is a good sign after this long so drag him if you must to Dr's

Cell block H fan
31-07-15, 20:31
Really? Oh, that's weird then, what do you think could be causing it if not the antibiotics? That's a bit worrying then as he used to be a once or twice a week person, since he started this job, it's every day! It's not possible that the kebab van burgers are poisoning him in theory??

ricardo
31-07-15, 21:37
Sounds like IBs and not related to the wisdom tooth, but I am not a doctor.

Cell block H fan
31-07-15, 21:51
Sounds like IBs and not related to the wisdom tooth, but I am not a doctor.

Does it kick off suddenly like that? Gosh it's annoying as he's not long started this job & loves it, but why does something have to come along & spoil it x
He's going to ring in on monday & let them know he needs to call the docs at 8am for an appointment that day, then after he can ring again to let them know what time he will be coming in.
It seems so long ago that doctor appointments were easy to get.