PDA

View Full Version : I'm so scared there's something wrong with my brain. Please help.

carabijoux
01-08-15, 11:55
Hi,

I am still new to this forum, as I'm really struggling to come to terms with my health anxiety.

For the last year, I've experienced dizziness. I've had sinus problems for years, and have constant congestion (I was told I have perennial rhinitis, with no obvious cause). I'm on the wait list to see ENT for help with my sinuses.

I've been having trouble with my ears for a number of months - I first saw my GP about dizziness back in Sep last year, and then ear and vision problems back in March. The dizziness has been so bad lately. I had an ear infection a couple of months ago, and since then it has been nearly unbearable. It's not vertigo, the room isn't spinning - but I feel like I'm constantly moving, like I'm on a boat or plane.

I've seen four doctors in the last month to try and get some relief - they have all said they can see fluid on my ears, and that is causing the dizziness. They have prescribed me Betahistine, which helps to an extent.

The doctor I saw last week explained given the fact that I've got sinus issues, and that this has been an ongoing issue for nearly a year, it's all likely to be my tubes that are all blocked and inflamed.

But then she said:

"Rarely, it can be due to a tumour behind the ear. But given your circumstances, and the fact there is fluid on the ear, I believe that that is the cause".

Now I know most people would think - if she thought it was anything more serious, she'd have sent me for more tests, more urgently.

But not me. I've nearly driven myself to insanity this last week, out of my MIND that I have a tumour. And the thing is... I don't even have any other symptoms, other than congestion and dizziness (and ear 'fullness' and tinnitus on and off).

Plus - I'm sure the anxiety is not helping with the dizziness, as I can feel myself shallow breathing.

I've been such a mess this last week. I'm going in to see my usual GP on Monday for some help with the anxiety - I've been off the meds since January, but clearly I'm experiencing some kind of setback.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting here...maybe any thoughts or words of reassurance? I can't sleep. I don't want to eat. I'm out of my mind worries there's something wrong with my brain, and not my ears. I don't even know if dizziness can be caused by brain-problems. But I'm terrified nonetheless.

Thank you in advance for any perspective, or hugs <3

xxx

izzyspringbolt
01-08-15, 12:41
Hi Carabijoux,

I'm going to go out a limb here and say the chances of it being a tumour are very slim. It's good of you to see your GP when you're worried, and I think if you're that worried about it being a tumour though, the best thing to do is request an MRI scan. Tell your doctor you're very worried it's a tumour, and see what they say as well. But yeah, if you're worried ask for a scan.

My sister had ongoing chest pains for a month and she requested two separate scans to make sure her heart was okay, but it was all fine, and it turned out it was just anxiety. Your doctor should hopefully comply if you request.

ricardo
01-08-15, 12:51
Hi Carabijoux,

I know you are new on here but have just read your brief history.

I think you are getting yourself more and more in a state through sheer anxiety. Beta blockers may not be the answer for you as they have other uses such as reducing blood pressure but not necessarilly anxiety.

When you go to your doctor discuss other forms of treatment to bring your anxiety down.

carabijoux
01-08-15, 18:52
Hi both!

Thank you so much for your words - they mean a lot to me.

Ricardo - thank you for your thoughts on the beta blockers. I was initially put on them to help me with the physical symptoms of anxiety (racing heart etc) and I've been on them around a year now. I'll definitely bring it up with my GP.

I just hope I can gain some kind of perspective. I can hear that my ears are blocked - it's just black or white thinking to the extreme :(

C x

SarahH
01-08-15, 20:59
Its OK we have all been there with those feelings, its crazy:wacko: but if you learn techniques to control your anxiety then these fears will not last as ling of appear at all. I have just been through those feelings myself (See my "SHIT!!! Thread for evidence). I controlled it with Mindfulness/distraction and CBT and guess what it works!!!

Of course I am on shed loads of medication but that another long boring story. You don't need to be on meds necessarily there are other ways to help. Look on this website :)

Sarah