PDA

View Full Version : New Member (Hello!)

Bluebird5
01-08-15, 18:51
Hello, I am new here. I am a 47 yo woman with a 12 yo daughter and very patient husband. I love listening to music, reviewing music on my website and going for walks. I work part time in health care.

I have had health anxiety for about two years now, but it has been building for the past ten, I'd say. I got very sick in 1994 with an illness that no one could figure out. I was finally treated for lyme disease, even though I was seronegative. After that, I've had many symptoms that doctors thought were autoimmune, but no bloodwork ever really explained it. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome due to dry mouth, dry eyes and other major criterion, (again, seronegative). I did well treating the Sjogrens symptoms, but last year started having neuro symptoms and went through intensive workups that took several months. One of the workups was ALS and that absolutely terrified me, putting me right on the charts for health anxiety. (EMG/neuro said No ALS). I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy due to Sjogrens after that.

This winter I got better, but in the spring, I got fatigue and head/neck symptoms, which has now put me into a lymphoma scare. I am not done with this workup yet and even some of my doctors are concerned, so until I meet with the hematologist next week, the whole thing is freaking me out.

I really need help managing the anxiety of going through all of these medical workups. It is making my life miserable and creating an OCD loop of symptom checking, talking about it constantly and my thoughts are wrapped up in it to the point that I am depressed and dont enjoy regular life anymore. I finally joined here because no matter what is going on with my health -

I want to live a HAPPY LIFE. Thank you. (please help). :flowers:

venusbluejeans
01-08-15, 18:59
Hiya Bluebird5 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

sial72
01-08-15, 19:20
Hi Bluebird
So sorry you are going through all this, have you ever had therapy or been on medication?
Xxx

Pepperpot
01-08-15, 20:49
Hi - welcome. I'm sorry you are going through a tough time. We are here to help :)

Bluebird5
01-08-15, 22:57
Thank You! I've had therapy for years before with different issues. I asked my PCP for meds to help now. He gave me some to try, but I want to wait until after I see the hematologist so I don't scare myself with new side effect 'symptoms' to add to the mix. Nice to have people here who understand. Thank You.

Zeldagirl
02-08-15, 01:22
I can relate. I have terrible anxiety that I was sure had a root medical cause and have been to countless doctors and had countless tests done. I found out I have Hashimotos disease (autoimmune disease) and I worry now that there is something else they are missing. Welcome and I hope you are feeling better soon :)

Bluebird5
02-08-15, 13:02
Hello! Thank you for the warm welcome. I have been reading a lot of the articles on here and they are really comprehensive and helpful. Something I learned already is to 'accept' the anxiety and not push it away. That is helping. Zgirl, I was tested for Hashimoto's years ago, I don't know anything about it, I hope you are feeling ok. Having an autoimmune dx is tricky because one sx could be attributed to many others, some benign and some scary. But I guess this could happen with any health concern. Went to the movies last night and helped my daughter try to learn to ride a bicycle. That was fun. Every day, I try to make choices which pull me away from the OCD part of the HA. It's not easy! I'll start meds after I see the hematologist this week. I don't want more physical symptoms from med side effects to get into the mix. I had a therapist years ago and will try to find a new one. I was thinking of maybe hypnosis this time?