PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram 20 mg

lisa p
05-02-07, 09:29
Hi

I have just started taking Citalopram 20mg, this is a big step for me because everything in the past that I have been given by the doc I have just put in the cupboard to scared to take. As the last couple of weeks have been really bad I decided I needed to be brave.

I took my first tablet yesterday morning and felt fine but last night I was so tired then felt really giddy and not quite with it, and felt really sick. For those that have been following my posts, sickness is not something I can deal with, I have this real phobia, so as you can imagine feeling really worried.

I have to take my second tablet soon - shall I, is it worth the suffering.

Thanks for reading.

Lisax

Ammeg
05-02-07, 11:18
hey lisa me love,
well at this point i would weigh the situation up if I was u!!! So side effects of meds sometimes lasts a max of 2 weeks.... then make ya feel better.. so is it worth feelin poorly for 2 more weeks if they help u get through ya panics and anxiety???
U know me an me tough love!!!! hahaha
Love Gemxxxx
p.s.... well done btw way for takin this step... i know its a huge thing for ya and I for one am v proud!!!!xxxxx

suebroughton
06-02-07, 10:20
Hi Lisa, For a few years I did the same as you, every tablet my GP gave me, I put in the bin, until I got this telling off from my sister. She said what is the point of pestering the GP all the time plus everyone else, if you dont follow their advice. And she also said, What is the best thing, feeling totally awful most days, not functioning, or a tablet a day that helps you live a normal life.
I started taking the tablets. I am taking 40mg Citalopram daily. The first 3 weeks were absolutely horrendous, my symptoms were ten fold. But I knew why this was happening, and was signed off work, and was good to myself. Magazines and choccy my dear.....:D If you take the tabs every day, you will start to feel better I promise you. Take care, we all here.

LisaD
06-02-07, 18:45
Hi lisa,

Just wanted to let you know that these feelings are just temporary, and last just a few days. I also had a rough start when I first took citalopram, and felt very ill at first, but it was gone in 2 days. It still took about 2 weeks until I felt "normal" again, but it was soooo worth it! I went from full-blown 24/7 anxiety to back at work and absolutely happy in 3 months. Can't promise that it will be so good for everyone, but it was a miracle for me! Please stick with it even though it may be hard at times, and take good care of youself!
Lisa

~Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage~ Anais Nin

barbie
07-02-07, 11:31
Hi Lisa

I have to agree that the tablets should start working for you soon. I was very lucky this time round as I started Citalopram 20mg again after about 6 months of stopping it, and it worked straight away.
However when I first started taking anti-depressants (for depression no anxiety that time) I had to try many different ones before I realised Citalopram works best for me.
If you can take a week or so off, be good to yourself like Sue says, lots of treats, maybe a little outing every day so you dont become scared to go out, I think you will be just fine.
Good luck and remember there is always someone here to talk to.
Carla

"Smile Like You Mean It"

Flamey2009
04-06-09, 17:00
i joined just to let you know that i to am so scared of being sick that that was half my problem, I started taking the tablets for the phobia and choric Ibs and i wont go back, I think i felt alittle yuk for a few days I dident get sick But it has been the best thing for me. Lifes never perfect with phobias i couldent go out much befor the tablets and things, But these will really help it feel almost perfect ;) i spent two years avoiding taking anything. I know its hard But i promise in the end these will make you feel so much better, they have been such a help to my life.

i was a beliver that tablets would never help and that dealing with things were the only real way to deal with it. but i was happierly proved very wrong! Good luck to anyone tryng them for the first time, there very good and mild type of tablet ;)

darcy
05-06-09, 22:25
hi all... i had to reply to this as it sounded soooo like me just a few weeks ago!
i have been having really severe anxiety and panic attacks for the last 2-3 yrs. i usualy get through it by myself but it always returned... i saw the doctor a few times and he ended up giving me 3 differen types of tablet but because i used to have epilipsy when i was younger i was absolutly petrified to start taking them as i was convinced it would cause a fit... on another trip to a different doctor, i ended up cring for an hour and she was sooooo good with me. she convinced me to start the citalopram the next day... that was 3 weeks ago... i fel sick for a week and had a really dry mouth but i can honestly say that i feel completly normal and chilled out now.. i'm amazed and so very grateful for these tablets (and my g.p) all the places i had stopped going, hairdresser, ikea, tesco, i can go without fear of panic attacks and its just wonderful.... anyone scared of this needs to just jump and try them... i read all these posts several times before taking them but in the end only you can make the choice, and i know i made the right choice.. i was a mess for a long time and even more of a mess deciding about the pills... its truley not as bad once youve done it!!!!! good luck to everyone and well done to all of you who made the step in taking them... xxxxxx :yesyes: