PDA

View Full Version : Can't swallow food properly

InNeed
02-08-15, 00:29
I'm a 21 year old guy.It started about a year ago. A lot of things happened... I started to notice that I'm losing my hair, entered a post-grad program (which I never actually wanted so the stress was so high).

At the beginning there was just loss of appetite. Started to eat less and less. Then whenever I ate food it just started to feel like it got stuck in my throat and I would panic, but I would still eat fine after that. Then, I got food poisoned and I puked maybe 4 times, they just gagged when I had nothing more to puke. Since then I couldn't swallow food. At the beginning it would take me 2 hours to finish a McDonalds cheeseburger with a big soda. So I went to the docs and they did a barium swallow test (normal result) and gastroscopy (some GERD damage that wouldn't do this). I gave it a rest and just tried to survive for the school year. I passed the first year with great grades, but at the cost of 10 kilos.

Present time now:
I don't panic every time I try to swallow, nor does my heart race anymore, nor do I have a hard time breathing. Now, I can eat much faster but in a weird position, with some liquid (without it just forget the whole concept of swallowing), a lot of chewing (weird chewing) and patience. I can eat to sustain myself. I am now eating enough food to gain weight while I gym.

I can't eat chewy things such as steak (which I miss dearly). I can't eat in public because I look like some creature while I eat. I am not swallowing properly its not going down the way its supposed to. Whenever I by accident DO swallow in the proper manner I then start to panic.

Can someone tell me what is going on?!? I want to know how I can fix myself. It's making me lose friends, confidence... everything! I haven't even told my family, they'll think I'm some kind of psycho...

pulisa
02-08-15, 09:05
I'm not a medic but my son was born without an oesophagus so I've got some knowledge in this area.

You've had a barium swallow plus endoscopy which would rule out anything nasty. Have they done any tests regarding oesophageal motility or whether you could be suffering from oesophageal spasms which are affecting your swallowing? There could be anxiety linked into all this as well in that you are anticipating swallowing problems hence you have put into place various rituals which make swallowing easier for you.

My son has problems with chewy foods like steak but there is a physical reason for this whereas your barium swallow and endoscopy were fine. I certainly think you need more help/investigation by medics into what must be a very distressing problem for you. You could also have some PH tests done to check for GERD.