PDA

View Full Version : Coping strategies while abroad...

Help1989
02-08-15, 00:32
HI!
I haven't visited the forum in a good while cos I sort of got my anxiety under control again. My main one has been my moles. I've had one removed (waiting for results) and waiting on another one to be taken off. I'm not really worried about them because I've had them all my life I don't think they've changed, the doc just wanted them off because they look a bit irregular but they have always been than way. He just said it would save any probs in future. However since my few derm appts, I have noticed a mole on my stomach growing. It is definitely larger than last year (now approx 4mm x 4mm) and dark brown. The edges are slightly irregular too.

ANYWAY..
I'm going abroad in a couple of weeks time for 13 days. I know I'm nervous because of my other health problems (I have chronic fatigue syndrome and more..) but I am worried in going to have an absolute freak out over this mole while away and not be able to handle it. I'm on sertraline and waiting on cbt still.
I know there's nothing I can do when I abroad but I don't want to ruin it for everyone I'm with. THIS IS SO STUPID and I'm so frustrated with myself. I know I've freaked out over other things so much before but a doc actually sympathised with me the other day... She said no wonder you have health anxiety, so many docs have dismissed you in the past when something has actually been wrong (chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia plus more).
I'm only 25 :(
Has anyone got any tips on how to calm down when I'm abroad especially? I'm hoping that i don't turn into a hermit because im scared of the sun now.
I've got my factor 50 ready but I want t be able to enjoy my time there and not be petrified of something terrible happening to me as soon as I start to relax.

You can tell I haven't been on here in a while, what a massive rant!!:roflmao:

Help1989
03-08-15, 19:35
No one? :(

tmckenzie-orr
03-08-15, 20:16
Get yourself s couple of clear sun screen spray and enjoy yourself, you can tell if moles r dodgy and 4mm is not typical cancer size so don't worry enjoy enjoy enjoy

sial72
03-08-15, 20:17
Can I ask where you are going? It is just that I live in Spain and maybe you feel that if you are abroad the medical services are not good or that they won't understand you, but they do.
So I suggest you calm.down by thinking that wherever you go should you need it there are all kinds of services.
Also when I am away I always say to myself, I am myself no matter where I go, so you are going to have moles, fatigue or whatever no matter where you are, so just enjoy yourself and worry about these things when you get back. Just be sensible with the sun protection xx

Help1989
03-08-15, 21:29
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to Italy and I know they will have good medical care and I'm getting health insurance, I think it's just I don't trust my mind not to freak out. I can usually tell when a panic attack or intense worry is coming but I find it hard to stop it from taking over.
I'm worrying about all aspects of the holiday, even non health related things. I'm worried about the flight, whether the place in staying will be ok.. Whether I'm gonna let people down. Wish I could be like I used to be and switch my brain off!!

tmckenzie-orr
03-08-15, 21:43
The flight will go super quick to Italy so don't worry , if you feel panicking or worry should take a Valium if u don't have any should go to doctors before you go there great for calming you down

sial72
03-08-15, 22:20
Aaah yes! I always wish I could take my brain out and leave to soak for a while x