PDA

View Full Version : For those of you in relationships

Wazer1221
02-08-15, 14:57
Hi everyone,

First of all I should probably state I don't have anxiety, however I'm in a relationship with someone who does.

I was just wondering how you guys deal with it or how you find ways to see each other. In my case she has anxiety quite frequently and I don't see her for weeks at a time, which gets really hard. Does anyone have similar experiences to this? Is your anxiety so bad you can't or won't be around your partners?

I'm trying to be as understanding and supportive as possible, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

GingerFish
02-08-15, 17:00
Me and my partner have lived together for the last 5 years and my anxiety/panic attacks started about 3 years ago. When my anxiety gets bad and I go through a setback, I want to just be alone and I pretty much move into the spare room. My bf is very supportive and does everything he can for me but it feels natural to close myself off from everyone and deal with it on my own which isn't the best. Company really helps though I fail to see it at the time.

I can imagine that if we didn't live together, it would be difficult to meet up at times, especially when I am in a setback and it would be him always coming up to visit me instead of me going to meet at his place or us meeting half way.

The only advice I can really offer is to sit and talk with your partner. Tell them how you feel and also ask what you could do to help them in any way you can. They might be a bit reluctant to accept help from you as they don't want to feel like a burden but talking and communicating about the problem is the best way to get through it. You could also offer to meet at her place or a place she feels comfortable and offer to go out with her somewhere, even just a walk around the block can be a big help at boosting someone with anxiety's confidence.

I do feel for you. In my case, I am the one with anxiety and I can see how hard it is for my partner at times because I push him away without meaning to do and act like he can never do anything right to please me when I am in that mind set. Dating someone with an anxiety disorder can be hard work but it gets easier as they learn to deal with their anxiety more.

Wazer1221
02-08-15, 17:52
Thanks for the reply.

A lot of what you have said makes sense and can relate to from what she has said to me.

We've talked about me going to see her when she is unable to go out, which was her suggestion. However when she goes through phases of her anxiety and I suggest coming over, she declines and says she deals with it better by herself which can be frustrating, but I understand.

I'll definitely have another talk with her soon, thanks for the advice.