PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine and alcohol?

sim123
03-08-15, 09:23
Hi guys

So I have been taking Paroxetine for about 8 weeks now. Roughly 4 weeks at 20mg and 4 weeks at 40mg. I have to say it really seems to be helping me with my OCD and anxiety.
The only thing is, twice now I have had alcohol while on it and I seem to become really ill. The first time I had two glasses of wine and was very sick the next day, but at the time I just thought I was unwell. Then on Saturday night I went out with my friends and drank a fair amount. However I have drunk far more in the past and not felt nearly as bad as I did the next day. I was still vomiting at 10pm the following evening, was shaky and my arms and legs were numb. Today I still don't feel good. I was wondering, could this be the Paroxetine giving me these awful hangovers? Also the morning after drinking I have severe anxiety, it feels like it did before I started taking the Paroxetine, and this lasts for a few days after. Has anyone else experienced this?

MyNameIsTerry
03-08-15, 10:03
According to http://www.drugs.com/fluoxetine.html it says:

Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of fluoxetine.

FLUoxetine ↔ Alcohol (Ethanol)
Moderate Drug Interaction
Using FLUoxetine together with ethanol can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with FLUoxetine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of FLUoxetine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

Some people can tolerate alcohol with anxiety and with certain meds but not all. I think given you are just starting out, alcohol is a bad idea for anyone at that stage. Your anxiety alone won't be under the control it will be later so you may increase your own side effects or anxiety further than you would when you have had time to work on your recovery.

sim123
12-08-15, 11:08
Thanks for the reply :) I've decided to just cut it out for now!